Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 03-23-2020, 04:57 PM

Default New here new project

Snow mobile engine on go cart snow mobile engines are usually on a slight tilt is that a must or can you mount it flat and another question the driven clutch from sled fits my drive axel 1" do I have to run a jack shaft with a sprocket or will cvt from sled engine to axel work
Old 03-23-2020, 05:38 PM

Welcome. You can mount a sled engine flat, keep in mind they are usually liquid cooled and you will have to mount a radiator somewhere. As far as mounting the driven pulley of the cvt to the axle, bad idea is about the best way to put it. It may work, for a minute or two, but a jackshaft is going to be your best bet.

Now, onto what you are working with, a one wheel peel yard kart, along with most caged karts are going to need a lot of modifications, starting with the engine plate, then addressing weather or not a typical 1" live axle will handle the power, then onto the frame handling the torque, most were meant for 13hp max, and I've seen some jacked up twisted frames from smaller engines in crashes, 80hp is going to slightly increase your chances of crashing. Be sure of your work and stay safe, I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, I'm thinking about an artic cat 440 on my murray explorer.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:33 PM

The engine is a 1975 artic cat cheeta 440 air cooled the go cart frame is an older amusement park cart it is thick heavy Square tube frame. It originally had a 5hp Honda with a speed reducer motor cycle style wet clutch with a cog belt it is built like a tank was built as a 2 seater I'm new here I've rebuilt some regular 4 stroke go carts axles wheel sprockets I was excited when the cvt driven side fit the axel I thought I could skip a jack shaft go direct drive yea I was not sure why 2 stroke engines in sleds were tilted if it was for room or oiling I have not figured out how to post pictures here yet
Old 03-23-2020, 06:52 PM

If you think about a sled at full throttle, they squat the track and start lifting skis, that makes the engine sit level or close to it so mounting it level, or even with a slight tilt toward the front (hotrod stance) it should be flowing everything normally. Sounds like I have the liquid cooled sibling to your engine. As far as pictures go there is a sticky that explains it in gokart discussions I believe.