Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Off Topic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 AM

Default $30 snowblower

The guy is gonna drop this off tonight. Score. It is not seized, It stalled and he broke the pull cord. Im gonna fix it, and sell it at first snow for probably $75-125
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/2438963698.html
Old 06-22-2011, 09:10 AM

Well my hate for Tecumsehs continues. I got it with a broken pull starter and the guy said it still turned, but stiffly. So I decided to take a look. It was $30 delivered, so it isent that bad. Well first off I had to take off the pull start to fix it. I had to take off the gas tank, head, muffler, and carb cover to get It of without the risk of ruining the head. With a briggs, that would never happen. The bore looked good, I put some oil in it and it still is hard to turn over. The oil is nice and black, and full so when it stalled, it wasent the oil problem. Unless the guy put used oil in it to cover up about no oil. I hate Tecumsehs. Nothing but problems. Briggs and strattons are easier to work on and are much tougher. Also Briggs are easier to get parts for. Why does it seize up with good oil in it? A briggs would never do that. Im about to pull the bottom end apart and see whats wrong. I might look on craigslist for a replacement motor and slap it on if this ones screwed. And tecumsehs pull starts are over- complicated. This one broke and I need a new plastic piece. I might have one somewhere. Nother reason to hate tecumsehs.
Attached Thumbnails
snowblower 001.jpg   snowblower 002.jpg  

snowblower 003.jpg   snowblower 004.jpg  

Old 06-22-2011, 09:30 AM

in my opinion thats a great 5hp tecumseh. it will outlast a briggs by far.

i would just take it all apart and see whats wrong rather than forcing it over.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluethunder3320 For This Useful Post:
dave1701 (06-24-2011), Russ2251 (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
in my opinion thats a great 5hp tecumseh. it will outlast a briggs by far.
Then why is it seized when every briggs ive owned has run perfect until it needs piston rings ? Every tecumseh I have owned was a problematic piece of crap.
The Following User Says Thank You to karl For This Useful Post:
B man (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 09:47 AM

ive had the opposite experience.

ive got a tecumseh that sat for 5 years and started on the first like 5 seconds of turning the key.

my 6hp briggs has lots of problems and wont run now,

8hp briggs was only 15 years old (snow engine) and its a piece of crap. i ended up parting it out.

i got a 50 year old tecumseh to run missing about half the parts....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluethunder3320 For This Useful Post:
dave1701 (06-24-2011), Russ2251 (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
ive got a tecumseh that sat for 5 years and started on the first like 5 seconds of turning the key.
Any engine should do that. As long as the gas is good. Also briggs is the more successful company. You see way more briggs engines on lawn mowers and other crap. Tecumsehs are now being made in China while briggs are made in the USA. Way more things are briggs powered.

[QUOTE] i got a 50 year old tecumseh to run missing about half the parts.... [QUOTE]

Old Tecumsehs are good. 70s and up started getting crappy then now they are china garbage.They kept getting crappier until they hit bottom and now are china made.

Lets get off the Briggs vs Tecumseh argument and more on what happened to this engine.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:28 AM
AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY

Never had a lick of probs with any Tecumseh... Ever. More HP per lb. as well.
Briggs is way overrated.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Measure twice cut once

i love my Tecumseh snow blower, i think its 1993, great little engine! only Tecumseh i would avoid is the "power sport" ohv engines, most all the experiences that i have read are not good. IDK maybe i only read the bad experiences, but thats what i have read.

Robin Subaru all the way! LOL
Old 06-22-2011, 11:29 AM

Well heres the problem with the pull cord. The medal peice that should catch the inside of the cone just falls out, It is pictured without the screw and plate ontop. When you try to pull it it just falls out of its hole.
Attached Thumbnails
snowblower pullcord.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Briggs is way overrated.
Not really. I abuse my motors. Badly. I have held my 3hp briggs at 5000 rmp+ down the road for about 30 seconds all stock tons of times. Every briggs I own runs. 0 Tecumsehs I own run. I got 3 blown up tecumsehs lying around. I have owned 20 briggs and strattons and every one has worked great. I had 5 tecumsehs and 3 of them have blown up and I have sold 2. Every one has given me tons of problems. I dont care if the briggs has alittle more weight, but always runs. And briggs lawn tractor engines make way more torque then tecumsehs.

Quote:
Tecumseh i would avoid is the "power sport" ohv engines, most all the experiences that i have read are not good.
Funny you say that. I got one blown up lying in my overhang lol.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Kart designer

8HP briggs flathead, Mine sat for 10 years never had a oil change and I got it poured gas in and it would run for about 5 secs and die, Then I put 4cycle Lucas gas mix and It ran for 20 min. died and has not started since!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Kart3377 View Post
8HP briggs flathead, Mine sat for 10 years never had a oil change and I got it poured gas in and it would run for about 5 secs and die, Then I put 4cycle Lucas gas mix and It ran for 20 min. died and has not started since!
Then its you probably need a carb cleaning. Most motors do when they sit awhile outside. And your spark plug could be bad. Dont jump to the conclusion that it is dead without doing some basic repairs to it first. When I say tecumsehs are Junk I mean thrown rods, seized, scored piston, horrible rod knock, stuff like that. Not just It wont start from siting outside.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Well my hate for Tecumsehs continues.
Hate comes from fear.
Fear comes from not understanding.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ2251 View Post
Hate comes from fear.
That makes no sense. I am scared of Tecumseh engines so I hate them? Why would I be scared? I understand why Tecumsehs suck. So has my dad, grandpa, step dad, step grandpa, brother, and my friends all hate them because they are weak, unreliable junk.

Quote:
Hate comes from fear.
So if I hate school, Im scared of it?

Quote:
I beat up and abuse my engines and over rev them. Briggs hold up, Tecumseh die. Its called destructive testing. Except the briggs dosent get destroyed and the tecumseh is destroyed.

If some guy is trying to shoot me and I know why he is trying, Im not supposed to be scared?

Write something that makes sense instead of trying so say some gibberish, and trying to make it look like and important quote or life lesson.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Tecumseh FTW!

tecumseh is out of business i wonder why? hmm maybe they didn't sell? but why wouldn't the sale if they where SOOOO good? beats me.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:16 PM

Any why does every briggs I have run great and I have 3 blown up tecumseh waiting to be scraped? What does that tell you? The flippen bottom end is screwed on the snowblower. There was no reason it should have. It that was a briggs that would have never happened. Briggs is the better company. More brands use there engines because they are more reliable. Also parts are much cheaper and easier to get. And Tecumsehs need the parts alot more.

Quote:
tecumseh is out of business i wonder why? hmm maybe they didn't sell? but why wouldn't the sale if they where SOOOO good? beats me.
I completely agree.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Official DIYGK Chem Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post
That makes no sense. I am scared of Tecumseh engines so I hate them? Why would I be scared? I understand why Tecumsehs suck. So has my dad, grandpa, step dad, step grandpa, brother, and my friends all hate them because they are weak, unreliable junk.

So if I hate school, Im scared of it?

I beat up and abuse my engines and over rev them. Briggs hold up, Tecumseh die. Its called destructive testing. Except the briggs dosent get destroyed and the tecumseh is destroyed.

If some guy is trying to shoot me and I know why he is trying, Im not supposed to be scared?

Write something that makes sense instead of trying so say some gibberish, and trying to make it look like and important quote or life lesson.
What a f&^*&#g douchebag. Just because an engine can survive at higher revs doesnt mean it will last longer than one that blew at higher revs. Destructive testing my a$$. Russ is right, fear comes from not understanding.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
So has my dad, grandpa, step dad, step grandpa, brother, and my friends all hate them because they are weak, unreliable junk.
Hearsay.
Quote:
A basic psychological concept.

Ask yourself this,...if Tecumseh was so bad, why did they (as an engine manufacturer) last so long.
Reputable companies such as Tecumseh (engine division) failed (for the most part) because of bad corporate decisions. Such is the case with Tecumseh Products. They make/made other products. It turns out that their engine division was their weakest link and was not worth their while to keep it alive.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
That dose not apply to this situation.

Quote:
Hearsay.
Do you want me to interview them on why they hate Tecumseh and post it on youtube with every reason why?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Tecumseh FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ2251 View Post
Hearsay.

Ask yourself this,...if Tecumseh was so bad, why did they (as an engine manufacturer) last so long.
Reputable companies such as Tecumseh (engine division) failed (for the most part) because of bad corporate decisions. Such is the case with Tecumseh Products. They make/made other products. It turns out that their engine division was their weakest link and was not worth their while to keep it alive.
and the reason they closed the engine division? because they didn't profit. and why didn't the profit? they didn't sell.