Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Announcements & Suggestions > Introduce Yourself!

Notices

Old 08-06-2019, 11:41 PM

Default New Member From Houston

Hey y'all!

New member here from Houston. Found the site watching a video on YT posted by a member here, KartFab, I joined up and started browsing. I accidentally neglected to introduce myself before posting a comment in another thread, so I do apologize. I was raised better than that.

Anyway, I don't currently have a Kart, but do have two recently-purchased mini bikes, one of which I am restoring. The first is the seemingly ubiquitous Doodle Bug DB30S. The second is a Murray Track 2 (the one up for restoration). I recently decided to relive some fond old memories by purchasing (first) the DB30. When I was four my dad built me a 2.5hp Tecumseh-powered mini bike that I used to ride around the neighborhood and all over a family ranch. He also built my brother and me a go-kart. That little mini bike planted the seed of a life-long love of motorcycling and I've ridden ever since. Certainly loved the karts, as well. Wouldn't mind, one day, resurrecting an old Dingo like the one I had in my younger years.

Glad I found the site. Looks like a fun spot to learn and, hopefully, contribute. Thanks for havin' me!
Old 08-06-2019, 11:46 PM

Thanked 3,438 Times in 2,803 Posts

Welcome to the forum!!!
Old 08-06-2019, 11:54 PM

Thanks, sir!

Trying to load some photos, but am having a bit of a problem. [I've read the instructions on how to post, but something's malfunctioning.]
Old 08-06-2019, 11:58 PM

Hope this works...

Pics of the DB30. 212cc Hemi Predator. No mods, but fast enough to leave me on my butt while watching the bike buck like a mad mule running from a grizzly.
Attached Thumbnails
DB30S Peg Seat Resto.jpg   Baja Doodle Bug 1.jpg  

Baja Doodle Bug 2.jpg  
Old 08-07-2019, 12:06 AM

Here's the Murray Track 2. Have stripped it down and removed most of the paint. Will be replacing the Tecumseh 3.5 with a 212 Hemi Predator. Current plan is to go with a metallic "oil-rubbed" bronze for the frame and forks and a Fire Engine Red for the wheels, sprocket, and handlebars. Probably go with white walls and some pin-striping for an old school, hotrod look.
Attached Thumbnails
Murray Track 2 1.jpg   Murray Track 2 2.jpg  

Murray Track 2 3.jpg  
Old 08-07-2019, 06:42 AM
Senor Member

I'm your huckleberry

Welcome, I have a Murray Track 2 also, got busy on other projects, so I never messed with it, one day I will. I think they are pretty cool frames. Looking forward to your build.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:12 PM

Ha! Thanks, Tex!

Yeah, I kind of like the Murray frame, size and overall design. When I decided to find a mini bike, I really wanted a T2, but couldn't find one. Came across the DB30 and went with it. The day after I purchased it, a Murray came up on OfferUp! I told my friend about it and he purchased it. I felt like I'd already blown the nugget, so I let him go for it. I guess I was supposed to have one, because, just a few days later, the one pictured above popped up and I took the bait.

My buddy's has a 212 Predator. It's stock non-hemi but will outrun the DB, but not off the line. Fun bike to ride, no doubt, and a little more roomy for me (6'2").

Anyway, will definitely post photos as I progress with the restoration.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Broke

He said dingo. I'm interested now, also before I forget, Welcome! I'm in the middle of building my dingo, which will NOT be stock lol. Plans for 13hp so lots of fun. Also you got any old pics of your past rides? would be cool to see!
Old 08-07-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingocat View Post
He said dingo. I'm interested now, also before I forget, Welcome! I'm in the middle of building my dingo, which will NOT be stock lol. Plans for 13hp so lots of fun. Also you got any old pics of your past rides? would be cool to see!
Thanks so much, Dingo!! I look forward to seeing the end product of your restoration!

I sure gotta say, you just popped me in a sore spot. I unfortunately do not have any photos, or at least, not at my immediate disposal. Since purchasing my DB, I've actually been thinking a great deal about that. Now I MUST find those old pics! I suppose I should thank you for providing a bit of inspiration, actually.

Speaking of the Dingo, I believe I've seen your thread. I'm curious to know something... I remember that my Dingo (sounds funny, don't it?) had springs in the front spindles for a softer ride. The ones I've seen here on the forum seem to lack those, or I'm just not seeing them. Is your front end sprung? Or was mine a later model, or something made by another company other than Manco? If I recall correctly, it had a B&S 5hp.

I will have to write up a story on the demise of that old kart, by the way. It's a story to which some may remark, "Now ya just can't make THAT s**t UP!!" Very interesting and very funny...
Old 08-08-2019, 06:29 AM
Broke

Mine came with 5hp, springer spindles, not sure about the 21 inch tires tho. 15 inch ones up front.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:29 AM

I dug around a little bit last night and it appears that, perhaps, my Dingo was a 285. Could be wrong. Loved that thing.