Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 PM

Default 6.5hp greyhound valve problem

I took out the governor on my newish greyhound 6.5hp and while taking the case cover off, the camshaft fell out with the cover. I didnt know how to reinsert the cam so I push the valved back so they were lined up and reinserted the cam, took out the gov, and reassembled. It will not start now but I do have compression. I do not know anything about small engines. How can i fix it?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 PM

I beleive you will have a mark on the cam gear and on the crank gear. Put the piston at the top of the cylinder, and align the 2 marks. I think the marks will look like punch indents. Make sure you tourqe the side cover bolts correct in pressure, and correct order of tightening.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:04 PM

What do you mean by the valves were lined up? they need to open and close on opposite strokes of the piston
Old 05-16-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman000 View Post
What do you mean by the valves were lined up? they need to open and close on opposite strokes of the piston
They were BOTH closed when i pushed them in. I may post a pic so you know what i mean. In the crank case the 2 valves next to the cam i pushed those 2 in to the point they were lined up next to each other. I then put the cam back in place and closed everything up but it wouldn't start so i took it apart agin and went to see what was going on. I took out the cam shaft again and the valves just fell out, then I knew the engine was done for. Unless I can fix it!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Kart designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker187 View Post
They were BOTH closed when i pushed them in. I may post a pic so you know what i mean. In the crank case the 2 valves next to the cam i pushed those 2 in to the point they were lined up next to each other. I then put the cam back in place and closed everything up but it wouldn't start so i took it apart agin and went to see what was going on. I took out the cam shaft again and the valves just fell out, then I knew the engine was done for. Unless I can fix it!
the thing next to the cam are not the valves they are the tappetts.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Kart3377 View Post
the thing next to the cam are not the valves they are the tappetts.
Ok, how do i fix them?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:47 PM

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,638 Posts

You don't need to fix them, they're not broken. You need to get everything realigned properly. WARNING: RANT COMING!!!!!

Quote:
I took out the governor ... I didnt know how to reinsert the cam .... I do not know anything about small engines. How can i fix it?
Why in Dog's name do people insist on doing this stuff? No instruction, no experience, no manual, no notes, no pics. No kidding. I understand that we're all "new" at some point and don't understand how things work or go together. But seriously- the greatest dang tool you can own is a service manual! If you had it, you'd already be racing down the street, instead of helplessly watching parts roll off the workbench. In the absence of a manual, some knowledge and experience is a must. Even then, it's always advisable for the less-experienced to take notes and photographs as things come apart to see exactly how things go together properly. Now, you're hoping like heck that somebody can help you, or else
Quote:
the engine was done for.
Please, people, PLEASE- Arm yourselves with a service manual if you do not know what you are doing! Even us experienced people reach for a manual and/or spec sheet when doing engine surgery. How do you know what the torque spec for the bolts is? How do you know what the points gap spec is? Or the ring end gap? Or valve lash? MANUAL people!!!

Ok, that's outta the way. Now-

Orient the crankshaft so the piston is at the top of the stroke. Open up the rocker cover so you can see the rockers. Push the lifters (tappets) back in, and all the way up into the guides. See the dot on the crankshaft gear? See the dot on the cam gear? Insert the camshaft so those two alignment marks are against each other with the gears meshed. Now, look at the rocker arms. If necessary, move them so that one end of each arm is riding on the tip of the lifter, and the other end is on the valve stem (as they may have rotated out of the way). NOW the whole thing is properly aligned and timed. Put it back together with a new gasket if need be, and beg, borrow, or steal a torque wrench. Torque the cover bolts down a bit at a time in a criss-crossing pattern until they are torqued to the specification for your engine. Do not forget to refill the 'case with the correct amount of the specified oil.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Sprocket For This Useful Post:
walker187 (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toystory_4wd View Post
You don't need to fix them, they're not broken. You need to get everything realigned properly. WARNING: RANT COMING!!!!!

Why in Dog's name do people insist on doing this stuff? No instruction, no experience, no manual, no notes, no pics. No kidding. I understand that we're all "new" at some point and don't understand how things work or go together.
I'm sorry man but have you ever owned one of these Honda clones? They're good engines, but the manual doesn't explain anything, just starting it up for the first time and such. I would have figured it out with the manual if it said anything but unfortunately, it didn't.

Great instructions though.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry man but have you ever owned one of these Honda clones? They're good engines, but the manual doesn't explain anything, just starting it up for the first time and such. I would have figured it out with the manual if it said anything but unfortunately, it didn't.

Great instructions though.
The owner's manual and a service manual are completely different. If you take a look toystory_4wd is a moderator and has been on this forum for several years. He also services engines on the side. He knows his stuff.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 PM

look online to see if you can find any manual or some pecs or anything like that
Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 AM

Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarteraz07 View Post
The owner's manual and a service manual are completely different. If you take a look toystory_4wd is a moderator and has been on this forum for several years. He also services engines on the side. He knows his stuff.
Yup, a service/shop manual is COMPLETELY different from a owners manual. Trawl the internet to see if you can get a free one, or fork out a bit of money to buy one. They are indespensable
Old 05-17-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
Yup, a service/shop manual is COMPLETELY different from a owners manual. Trawl the internet to see if you can get a free one, or fork out a bit of money to buy one. They are indespensable
Sorry, I looked around for 5 minutes and I found myself a manual. Thanks anyway.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Should be in the shop...

If you haven't fixed it yet, just to confirm, do this-
1.Remove all bolts holing on side cover and rocker cover (says OHV on it)
2.Reinstall push rods and then tappets.
3. Reinstall camshaft lining up the marks on crank and cam
4. Check lifters are correctly positioned on rocker arms.
5. Check valve lash with feeler gauge
6. Reinstall side cover and rocker cover with a torque wrench.
walker187 (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 03:41 PM

i am 48 and havent played with a mini bike or kart for over 30 years but i sit here reading all kinds of topics for answers and how to do things that i need to know first.
there is a search function on here and this thing called GOOGLE, both quite resourceful.

basically you put lug nuts on a car before the wheel, if you research you would know.....
woops thats not right.

hope this helps for future
Old 05-17-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML-TOYS View Post
i am 48 and havent played with a mini bike or kart for over 30 years but i sit here reading all kinds of topics for answers and how to do things that i need to know first.
there is a search function on here and this thing called GOOGLE, both quite resourceful.

basically you put lug nuts on a car before the wheel, if you research you would know.....
woops thats not right.

hope this helps for future
GOOGLE brought me here. So I am asking questions here.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Should be in the shop...

I think it is a fair question, however, please do not be offended, but do some more reading before diving deeper into the engines internals. We were all new once. I am still new to many things and always will be. However, before doing/making/deciding on anything I do thorough research.
Best of luck with your motor.
walker187 (05-17-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 12:26 AM

Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,209 Posts

I agree with Rchez. Don't get discouraged. I haven't had the courage yet to tear into an engine
Old 05-18-2012, 03:37 PM

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
I haven't had the courage yet to tear into an engine
You're kidding!!! Wow- Go for it! Have you got an engine that doesn't matter too much to you that you can practice on? Too bad you're so dang far away- I'd gladly donate one for the purpose. I've got more engines than I know what to do with... Literally.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 05-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Should be in the shop...

Hey landuse- how about trying to get a few more .1hp's out of that 3hp flatty you have? :P by the way did you get the carby that I sent?
Let's be honest, tearing into engines is anybodies game. It's reassembling the parts that is more difficult. TIP- always take pictures before dissasembly.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:01 PM

Like I said, I know a good amount about engines and I have the tools to do so. They are really not that complex, especially the "Honda Clone" that I was having trouble on. Anyways, thanks landuse, toy story, and r chez. I fixed the engine in a matter of minutes!
Closed Thread