Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Photo Gallery & Project Log

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Default Atv/Quad Build Project

Whats up guys! i had an original thread of my modified barstool racer build, but i have basically changed it to be a qaud.
This build has been going on since summer of last year, and i am just now adding the finishing touches and painting and pimping it up!

this is the most recent video from the build

I have made much more progress and will get a video up soon of where i am at!

Thanks for checking the build out!! lots more to come
Old 04-16-2012, 07:51 PM

After watching some videos on youtube, i really want to put a pipe on my Honda clone for the muffler! do you guys any suggestion on were to buy one and what works well with the clone! also what metal would you suggest if i chose to build it instead? thankx
Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 PM

What do you guys think about this exhaust? I could always cut it up and add different angles, but I think it would wOrk as it is!!

http://www.brutepipes.com/mini.html ( first one On the list )
Also would this fit a Honda clone?
Thx guys
Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 PM

Any comments.. Suggestions or ideas would be awesome! Also if you guys think I should do anything different please say something!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:12 AM

What are you doing for foot pegs? Are you using steel over the berf bar to set your feet on? I would make something that does not slip. Of give your foot a lip to grip onto. your feet need to be solid and not slipping off. Granted your not jumping super cross style. But if it gets wet your feet can slip easy of steel.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:24 AM

You wanted Suggestions?

Foot pegs with tradition style curved nerd bars would spice it up. Make your nerf bar like a nike swoosh Netting would be the problem though. Or you could do it like the BSR below.

It looks cool now though I am just thinking in my head. I miss working on custom stuff. Your frame looks way cool. The square nerf bars does not match or looks different I should say. When I designed the nerf bars below. I made the wing tip on the ned of the nerf bars to hold my foot when turning sharp and getting crazy. I used the foot pegs from a mini bike for normal riding. Also using the wing tip let me not have to bend pipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-YAMAHA-MO...item53df8614f6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-Tusk-Com...item4398401a2f
Attached Thumbnails
SDC10646.jpg   SDC10616.jpg  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 PM

Much more to come!!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:35 PM

bighead.. What do you think about what i did to the nerf bars?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart14 View Post
bighead.. What do you think about what i did to the nerf bars?
I think it looks good. But I still think you will be slipping off easy when wet. You could cut out/notch sections in the cross bar to give it some grip. Or buy some of the coragated steel and bend it around the two bars in the middle and weld it. This giving you some grip to the two bars in the middle. Also weld in a lip on the edge of the nerfbars to help keep your foot from sliding off if it does slip.

Find T-man reverse trike build vids and check out how he cut notches in the same type of pegs you have. When you go to do cookies your going to want grip on your feet. Also maybe a hoop behind your nerfbar to keep your foot out of the tire.

Look at most any foot peg. It will have a lip on the end for good reason.

I still would change your whole nerfbar setup. Add a sporty looking one. I think it will fit your build much better. A sick lookinf nefr bar could set you whole ride with a new look. You have that side bar so you have a bar to make any nerfbar you like. Easy way would be like the BSR above though. For you would not have to bend any pipe. Do it friend. I think it would set your whole ride off. Even add the diamond plate for saftey. I really like your build. A lot in fact. I just think the square nerfbar does not fit. But will be fine if you decide to keep it. You asked for sugestions so I am giving you some.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG4927.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012, 09:44 PM

Sounds like it would be a good idea! So do you think if I made the front of the nerf bar into an angle like your barstool racer and then left the back part in 90 angle it would look alright! Will try and get a pic of my idea to change it tommorow! Thanks for the ideas
Old 04-20-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart14 View Post
Sounds like it would be a good idea! So do you think if I made the front of the nerf bar into an angle like your barstool racer and then left the back part in 90 angle it would look alright! Will try and get a pic of my idea to change it tommorow! Thanks for the ideas
I just think it would more sporty. If you post a pic of the side of your kart. I will do a sketch what I would do. My idea would use a cheap BEEFY ATV foot pegs though. No bends just normal pipe like you been using. Just think what a big beefy set of ATV pegs would look like sticking out the sides? You can find used sets for like $10 on ebay that will clean up and paint like new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-KAWASAK...sories&vxp=mtr

It is fine now so if you like it go for it. Just make sure you do not slide off easy. It's such and easy mod though I thought I would bring it up. I look at it like this. Would Yamaha,Honda,Kawi make a square nerfbar? Now would China quads make a square nerfbar?

If you change it you will need pegs,more steel and some sheet metal or whatever for the floor. The sheet aluminum like I used is not cheap but looks good. I was going to use some old stainless BBQ'er doors.

Make your nerfbars angle up like the quads have. This giving you much more clearance. The nerfbar you have now does not protect you rear tires. Make the new nerfbar totally protect the rear tires. This will save your axle and wheel when your friends hit a tree.

Yah post a regular pic of your kart.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:03 PM

here are some pictures!
maybe you can throw one in to paint and show your idea.. cause i am a little confused!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1161.JPG   IMG_1162.JPG   IMG_1163.JPG  

Old 04-20-2012, 09:24 PM

bighead... what do you think???
Attached Thumbnails
idea.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012, 11:10 PM

Way to small. Post this pic again and I will draw one up.

I need a pic with the rear and front wheels on. Or rear anyway.

Put the pegs on after you have the seat on.

Did not see the pics above. Will give it a shot later.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:54 AM

I will try and get better pictures. Not sure why they did not work
Old 04-21-2012, 08:48 AM

do these pics work!!

also here is my idea for what to do with the nerf bar
Attached Thumbnails
017.JPG   018.JPG   IMG_1174.JPG  

Old 04-21-2012, 10:39 PM

Have searching the web and looking at some pI tires of some nerf bars, I think I have figured out what you were trying to describe ( the Nike swoosh) I might be hard to make with square tubing but I think I can make the back Part of the bar that covers the rear tire then level it out as it goes toward to the front tire!

If you still want to throw a pic up with your mocked design... That would be awesome! I want to get some work on them tommorow, so I am gonna try and mock up my idea thn throw up a pick!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:28 PM

Well i re did the entire nerf bar setup and still not quite finished it!
i still need to add the back part of the nerf bar to the other side!
I will be using bigheads idea and use a foot peg in the center of the nerf bar. along with diamond plate filling in the main area!

Pics are blurry cause of low light. will get better ones tommorow
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1178.JPG   IMG_1179.JPG   IMG_1180.JPG  

Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 AM

Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,198 Posts

It is looking great. I am looking forward to seeing this running. Well done
gokart14 (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 07:10 PM

quick question for those of you who put jackshafts on your kart! i was thinking about putting one on my quad and was wondering if a jackshaft really increases your tourque! i dont want it to go slow but am willing to sacrafice speed for tourque!