View Single Post
  #4  
Old 06-13-2013, 02:29 PM
xXPhasemanXx's Avatar
xXPhasemanXx xXPhasemanXx is offline
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada, AB, Spruce Grove
Posts: 242
Thanks: 15
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Default

50 amps continuous is very dangerous I hope you know. Thats more than 3 times the average rating on a house's copper wiring and would generate a TREMENDOUS amount of heat. You would need THICK wires for something like this and I am telling you that it is not worth it. Your batteries would definitely be drained quickly with that rating and for sure, would over heat to an extreme amount.

Also, if young children are going to use something like this, I suggest hiding the wires inside of the metal framing itself to prevent damage from the wires and even preventing the children from getting shocked. It may not be very possible but it is just for safety; you don't want open wires of that much amplitude (Assuming that is even the proper amplitude) operating near children out in the open. Can you post some detailed pictures of the engine as possible? Along with any other information that you may have about it? The one online may not be the same one you have.
  • 1-10 Milliampers: Person will feel little or no electrical shock effects or sensation.
  • 10-20 Milliampers: Painful shock will occur like a jolt, but muscle control will not be lost at this amperage.
  • 20-75 Milliampers: This shock is more serious. You'll receive a a painful jolt and muscle control will be lost resulting in the inability to let go of something you may have grabbed that is shocking you.
  • 75-100 Milliamperage: As the current approaches 100 milliamperes, ventricular fibrillation of the heart occurs and damage is done.
  • 100-200 Milliamperes: Ventricular fibrillation occurs and death can occur if medical attention is not administered quickly.
  • Over 200 Milliamperes: Severe burns and severe muscle contractions occur. Your heart can stop during a shock because the chest muscles put pressure on the heart. Internal organs can be damaged at this stage and in you survive, a painful recovery can be expected. What may surprise you about this level of shock is that through this clamping effect on the heart, ventricular fibrillation is avoided and the chances of a person's survival is good if the victim is removed from the electrical circuit.

I hope you know those are rated in Milliamperes and not actual amperes, like what you are stating.

You also said it was an 1800W machine, which is also the same as a household receptacle. In fact, that is the max (Average) a household circuit can hold safely without activating the fuse.
__________________
Want to help me out with my small portable drill press? Well, go right on ahead!
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24783