View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 07:09 AM
Road Hazard

Default F-150 Project (ish)

Well, I finally got it last Friday. It did cost me $90 for the towing, but the truck itself was free. And here it is.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	542.9 KB
ID:	117187
Now, the truck has somewhere north of around 800k on it, and it was used for hauling shrimp, and driven through a few floods. So I'm not putting much into the truck itself. What I really wanted it for was this.

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	117188
1978 Windsor 351 out of a Mercury Cougar, with around 200-250k on it. It's stock, so it should be making around 150hp and 270 lb-ft of torque.

My uncle said that somethings either wrong with the fuel line, or the fuel pump. Well the line is good, but the battery was fried (and 5 years 2 months old), so I'm replacing that first, since the engine might not have been cranking right. So I've been looking at other things on the truck. It does have either a rear main seal or an oil pan gasket leak, but I already knew that. The trans is an AOD, so I probably won't keep that. But I was looking on the axle and found this.

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	117189
That's an original ford axle tag, which is pretty rare. And it says thet it is a true 9 inch (some had 8" ring gears in the same housing), and that it's got a 3.25:1 ratio. I'm definitely keeping the axle, driveshaft and the engine.

So far I'm thinking of swapping the axle and engine into a Fox body mustang. A 351w will swap right into one (except for hood clearance issues). And you can get more power out of a 351 easier than a 302, and 351 blocks are stronger.