Thread: Forge build...
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2019, 07:22 PM

Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,571 Posts
Default Got gas.....

I went an got a refill.. $15 for a full fill up..

So ive been getting edgy In the last couple of days.. I i got out and did some forging....
I finished off the tongs I Made last. Trimmed and tweeked the jaws/reins. Riveted with a cut off bolt... workes like how I imagined..

I wanted a "simple" project to do, after watching a bunch of vids.. I decided to build a bottle Opener.....
I found some flat stock from some old tongs I tried making back in the day, the jaws failed and broke... but I kept onto them for this long...

I Cut off a palm sized bit of about 4.5". Drilled a 1/2" hole(Now I dont have any drifts or a hot punch yet, plus I just wanted to get on with the build, and wsnt really knowing how long this was going to take...) and set the forge to heat....
It didnt take that long.. I worked out the hole on the horn till it was a bit bigger, but it wast that big enough for the tip... So I found an old crappy chipping hammer.. used that as a drift to open it up a bunch... Worked pretty good...

I dont have a base for the anvil so I can use the whole surface for what I need... So I tipped it onto the back and used the base eyes on the bottom as a pritchel hole to back against with the drift...that worked pretty good... Also there is a step on the one sideface to the body from the horn....It made a good step to offset the ring of the capper from the main body where you hold....
I made a rudimentary punch to form the lifter ridge, out of some MS stock like what I used for the tongs...Not hardened... it didnt need to be...Ground a dome on the one end.

I Then decided to make a skull face, Ive seen a number of times seem easy enough... All kinda off the fly....
I needed a punch of sorts to tap the eyes, so used the lifter ridge punch, to form eye sockets... then finished off with a cold chisel for the jaw, teeth and nose bridge...
I kept the chisel cooled as to not anneal that...

I flattened out and tapped off the sharp edges and final formed the ring, as it got a bit mishapen from handling..Checked fit with a bottle and cap...

Brushed off, then cooled...
Did some more brushing after, to inspect how it went....

Over all...Im pretty darn impressed.... A definite good first try ill say...

Im thinking this will be a present to my good buddy down the way...
He'll really like this thing for sure...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191215_145640.jpg   IMG_20191215_145648.jpg  

IMG_20191215_145838.jpg   IMG_20191215_163339.jpg  

IMG_20191215_163352.jpg   IMG_20191215_173840.jpg  

IMG_20191215_173903.jpg