View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartorbust View Post
I agree this should be stickied and posted in the FAQ section of the forum.

I wonder, would the 2%-3% work on motorcycle chain, or do those have their own set standards?

Does it also matter if it is o-ring or not?
No, the 2-3% elongation is regardless of standard. The reasoning behind that is because chain is case-hardened to a certain depth, regardless of pitch. Generally the first few .001" range of upper material is hardened and when it wears through you're running bare untreated metal on metal.

The cool thing too is that you can wear the chain and use all of your take-up (axle adjustment) and if it's not at the 3% mark yet, then just remove 2 links and bring the takeup back in tight if you have the room. It's common practice in industrial applications.

---
IMO O-ring chain is very outdated and you only see if in street bikes nowadays. In the past, tolerances were not as tight so they would use o-rings to help delay contamination. Regardless, the o-rings eventually wear out.

As far as stretch, the o-ring has no bearing on percentage. They are wedged in the sidebars so then failing does not add any more or less to allowable percentage.