DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Engines & Clutches (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   iv a question about a carb bowl gasket (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20362)

zip kart 01-05-2013 05:50 AM

iv a question about a carb bowl gasket

hi i have a 110cc quad
and the carb bowl gasket is split but is still in place and i cant get a gasket anywhere for it would i lose power the way it is ?

fowler 01-05-2013 06:06 AM

Is the engine a lifan
Find a lifan gasket and it may be correct

U won't loss power but u may leak fuel onto the gear box causing a clear fire hazard

zip kart 01-05-2013 10:13 AM

loncin cant find any

DS13 01-05-2013 10:18 AM

i found a whole carb for $27 if your intrested... idk if will fit but here is the link

http://www.kazumausaonline.com/carbu...le-p-6592.html

Doc Sprocket 01-05-2013 10:34 AM

Measure it up. Perhaps a hardware store will have a big enough O-ring.

And if it's peeing fuel fast enough, you will lean out and lose power. But, IMO if it reaches that point, you got bigger problems than a loss of power.

zip kart 01-05-2013 03:44 PM

need help here lads ,my fuel richness is messed up i checked to see what colour the spark plug was and it was whitish colour does that mean its running too lean?how to do i know when theres enough fuel going to the engine ,idle is ok but im just worried about the spark plug being whitish

OzFab 01-05-2013 05:47 PM

White plug = lean, dark brown = rich. Start by adjusting the mixture

Doc Sprocket 01-05-2013 09:06 PM

Before you take a screwdriver to that carb, ask yourself- "Why is it too lean?"
Seems to me that we were recently discussing one or more potentially bad gaskets...

zip kart 01-07-2013 09:32 AM

yes how come theres no gas leaking out of the carb then ?

Doc Sprocket 01-07-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zip kart (Post 253014)
yes how come theres no gas leaking out of the carb then ?

I am having a difficult time making sense of this question. If the bowl gasket is bad, it will usually leak to some degree. If the manifold gasket is bad, it will not leak fuel out, it will leak air in (causing it to lean out). Engine vacuum prevents fuel from leaking out.

zip kart 01-07-2013 03:56 PM

the carb gasket is split but i have it connected back up and its grand now so theres no fuel leaking and there wasnt really any fuel leaking out of there in the 1st place
by the manifold gasket do u mean the tick plastic 1 or is there another gasket in between that 1 ,and theres a piece gone out of the tick gasket but i put gasket maker on that ,but would that be causing my problem?

zip kart 01-07-2013 04:17 PM

see if its the carb bowl gaskets iv a problem because i cant find anywhere where they sell carb bowl gaskets for a 110cc loncin quad ,its a mikuni carb aswell ,but is there any way i can make my own rubber carb gasket or repair the old 1 ,but if i need to replace the manifold gasket i can get them off ebay ,so any ideas?

Doc Sprocket 01-07-2013 05:33 PM

You might be lucky enough to find a large O-ring that will fit, at a hardware store. As for the manifold gasket (more than 1 possible, depending on application) you can get them nearly anywhere like EvilBay, or even your local OPE shop. If you're careful about it, you can make them. I do.

EDIT- Thick plastic? that's not a gasket. And if ANYthing leaks between the carb and the inlet port, then you're going to have problems.

zip kart 01-07-2013 05:45 PM

i cant really make a the carb bowl gasket out of a o-ring because its not in a shape of a o-ring ,the best thing for me today is to wait till i upload some pictures of the the gaskets and then you will have a good idea

Doc Sprocket 01-07-2013 05:47 PM

Probably a good idea.

mckutzy 01-07-2013 07:06 PM

While on the subject of Gaskets.
toystory_4wd- What do you make your intake manifold gaskets out of? A fiber material or like a rubber?

Doc Sprocket 01-07-2013 07:10 PM

I've done both with success. I have a selection of various materials, including *GASP!* asbestos.

mckutzy 01-07-2013 07:25 PM

So like what, cereal box,milk carton, news paper?
Sorry got me thinking about the potential mix leaning out on this guy carb, and my situation on my bike.

Doc Sprocket 01-07-2013 07:39 PM

Any gasket is better than no (or fried) gasket. As long as the material is up to the task. I wouldn't use straight fibre (paper) on the exhaust, for example. On things like side covers, you've got to watch the thickness to keep crank endplay within spec.

Folks have been known to use cereal boxes and other similar card stock with success. Often, when I use a fibre-type material, I will give it a light coat of engine oil upon installation. I don't know if it actually does anything to improve the seal, but my brain tells me it does... So I do- and have not had any problems with home-made gaskets to date. FWIW- I use a set of leather punches to make the bolt holes, and a #11 X-Acto knife or crash scissors to cut the material.

mckutzy 01-07-2013 08:21 PM

Cool, When I used to work on electric pumps and other motored devices, we used a vegetable fiber paper with an oil impregnated within it. I was thinking of this as I last typed but wanted to see what others have used. My exhaust gasket for my straight pipe, is a copper sheet cut to fit the factory shape. Works good as far as I can tell.