DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Engines & Clutches (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Predator 212, new clutch, maybe not fully engaging? (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41295)

junkerkart 05-18-2019 04:58 PM

Predator 212, new clutch, maybe not fully engaging?

2 Attachment(s)
Replacing the clutch on the predator. At idle and general driving, original clutch would make a ton of racket, like a rod knock. Put new clutch on, very quiet at idle. No clanking sound. Rev up engine to take off, terrible mechanical clanking. My guess is clutch is partially engaged and bangs all around. What adjustment am I missing? I didn't put the set screws in, not sure why needed as it had a key-way built in.
thanks.

JTSpeedDemon 05-18-2019 05:12 PM

The keyway keeps the clutch rotating with the crankshaft, the set screws keep it from scooting from side to side on the crankshaft.
That probably explains the clanking.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Even if the clutch was slipping, there's no common reason for a new clutch to clank.

junkerkart 05-18-2019 07:02 PM

Holy cow, I was putting a 12 tooth clutch on, when the original was a 10 tooth! What a bone-head move. Swapped the outer cage to get the 10 tooth on the new clutch, all good! unbelievable! Works nice and quiet.

mckutzy 05-18-2019 07:52 PM

Is it the same chain size??
Typically the clutches with a 12t is a #35 chain and 10 are a #41/40 chain...

pearl111 05-19-2019 03:24 AM

Don't forget to oil the bushing.

junkerkart 05-19-2019 08:23 AM

The same size, somewhat so it all looked fine. The mechanical noise/grinding was the new 12 tooth slipping on the chain under load. Then in looking closely you could see the teeth not fully engaging the chain.
Understood on oiling the bushing.
thanks again.

Dingocat 05-19-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkerkart (Post 523013)
The same size, somewhat so it all looked fine. The mechanical noise/grinding was the new 12 tooth slipping on the chain under load. Then in looking closely you could see the teeth not fully engaging the chain.
Understood on oiling the bushing.
thanks again.

The 12 tooth wouldn't be slipping usually, and not having the teeth engaged would be the wrong size, 41 and 35 have different pitches and wigths.

mckutzy 05-19-2019 12:58 PM

Off hand those clutches dont look the same size chain........ they are different pitch...

JTSpeedDemon 05-19-2019 01:03 PM

:huh:
Wow, I'm confused.
Just from looking at the first picture, I can see that the old 10T clutch had a much larger chain pitch than the new one!
No wonder it wasn't "fully engaging".
So what probably happened is the old clutch was worn out and noisy, so then you put the new one on, with the wrong chain size, so then when you put the old good clutch drum on, it had good internals and the correct chain size.
That's what I gathered.

Hellion 05-19-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkerkart (Post 522990)
Holy cow, I was putting a 12 tooth clutch on, when the original was a 10 tooth! What a bone-head move. Swapped the outer cage to get the 10 tooth on the new clutch, all good! unbelievable! Works nice and quiet.

Is there a Bonehead Award of the Month? :o

I think you earned the gold medal! :o:wai::o

Yeah, looks like two different size chain pitches between the two clutches, everyone else nailed it...

landuse 05-20-2019 12:40 AM

Wrong pitch on the new one