DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Go Kart Discussion (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Quick Warning to all karters (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41934)

Budget GoKart 08-24-2019 03:38 PM

Quick Warning to all karters

4 Attachment(s)
When racing go karts on the street be very careful because if you hit a friend on a similar kart you will either spin out or flip (i flipped). My tire grabbed the side bar of his go kart, and threw me off of my go kart and almost flipped i was fine and wearing a helmet. ALWAYS WEAR HELMETS NO MATTER WHAT!!!!! The karts where fine just my throttle cable is loose now thats all. Heres some pictures.

JTSpeedDemon 08-24-2019 05:39 PM

Good l'il disclaimer for the newbies to the hobby.:thumbsup:
I have scars just above my right heel to show for the time I crashed my go kart into the curb.
Don't just be careful when racing, be careful ALL THE TIME!
And yes, always wear a helmet.

Dingocat 08-24-2019 07:46 PM

And don't be dumb and jump your kart. It may seem great but is a good way to break it or yourself if you don't land right.

Kartorbust 08-24-2019 08:21 PM

I might suggest a neck brace with a helmet. Whiplash sucks and so does a broken neck. Wear pants not shorts, should be obvious on why.

mckutzy 08-24-2019 09:52 PM

Now ya wonder why I say 40 somthing is fast enough.. 60is too far.. Albeit you may not have gone that fast but still...

anickode 08-25-2019 05:49 AM

Another good suggestion: Don't race go karts on public streets. It's against the law and dangerous. Not just the risk of you getting hit by a car, but if you hit a person out walking, a child, a dog, etc, you will be legally and financially ruined for a very long time.

If you're under 18, your parents will be legally and financially ruined for a very long time.

Private roads are a little different, but if anything happens, you'd have to prove you had permission to be there.

It's an unfortunate thing, but in our sue-happy society, some things aren't worth the risk.

That said, I DO run my karts up and down our gravel back road out in the middle of farm country, but it's straight, flat, I can see a mile ahead and behind, and I'm paying close attention to my surroundings, not focusing on a race. Plus the few neighbors I have along this stretch are usually also out running go karts, ATVs, UTVs, minibikes, dirt bikes, etc on the weekends, so i'm not worried about them calling the police on me for being out there. Back when I lived in a subdivision, no freaking way.

JTSpeedDemon 08-25-2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckutzy (Post 531443)
Now ya wonder why I say 40 somthing is fast enough.. 60is too far.. Albeit you may not have gone that fast but still...

40+ mph is the point where you need to have a well sorted out steering system, grippy tires on balanced and aligned wheels, and lockup capable hydraulic brakes.
Oh, and a full roll cage and seatbelts, not to mention leathers, neckbrace and a full face helmet.
Only then do you have a reasonable safety margin.

Budget GoKart 08-25-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kartorbust (Post 531432)
I might suggest a neck brace with a helmet. Whiplash sucks and so does a broken neck. Wear pants not shorts, should be obvious on why.

A shirt didnt stop roadburn and pants dont either but it does help a little

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by anickode (Post 531451)
Another good suggestion: Don't race go karts on public streets. It's against the law and dangerous. Not just the risk of you getting hit by a car, but if you hit a person out walking, a child, a dog, etc, you will be legally and financially ruined for a very long time.

If you're under 18, your parents will be legally and financially ruined for a very long time.

Private roads are a little different, but if anything happens, you'd have to prove you had permission to be there.

It's an unfortunate thing, but in our sue-happy society, some things aren't worth the risk.

That said, I DO run my karts up and down our gravel back road out in the middle of farm country, but it's straight, flat, I can see a mile ahead and behind, and I'm paying close attention to my surroundings, not focusing on a race. Plus the few neighbors I have along this stretch are usually also out running go karts, ATVs, UTVs, minibikes, dirt bikes, etc on the weekends, so i'm not worried about them calling the police on me for being out there. Back when I lived in a subdivision, no freaking way.

The only way anyone in my neighborhood ever cares is if property gets damaged or someone gets hurt other than that they can give a crap less. I its a mix of most people are working and leave their kids home and noone cares because kids are off video games and watching go karts go by.

JTSpeedDemon 08-25-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budget GoKart (Post 531475)
A shirt didnt stop roadburn and pants dont either but it does help a little.

I once crashed my bike at maybe 15-20 mph, and even though I was wearing jeans, I still have a distinct half-dollar sized scar months later.
It tore through the jeans, but I guarantee it would've been MUCH worse without jeans.
And there's a BIG difference between a cotton t-shirt and denim jeans.

anickode 08-25-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTSpeedDemon (Post 531461)
40+ mph is the point where you need to have a well sorted out steering system, grippy tires on balanced and aligned wheels, and lockup capable hydraulic brakes.
Oh, and a full roll cage and seatbelts, not to mention leathers, neckbrace and a full face helmet.
Only then do you have a reasonable safety margin.

Idk about specifically hydraulic brakes. I wouldn't run 40+ with a normal OEM band brake or scrubbers, but I would trust a mechanical disc as long as it was lockup capable.

Shoot, I have one kart that will run 45mph with a band brake, but I built the brake from scratch, and it will lock 'em up on pavement no problem, even with my fat arse on it. 5" diameter, 1" wide band with ⅜" thick semi-metallic friction material.

Kartorbust 08-25-2019 05:06 PM

It's a matter of wearing jeans vs shorts, at least there is a protective layer between skin and pavement, which is what I was getting at. It wont help much, but the pants will take up a good portion of damage beforehand.

Either way, be smart and careful. Don't pull a Vasily.

BigWes 08-25-2019 05:19 PM

Yea, road rash sucks. I am glad you didn't get seriously injured. I hate that anyone gets hurt at any time and I certainly don't wish it on any one. Especially you young guys. Take care with exhaust pipes and such. Also exposed chains. It's the little things that will get you.

Keep your scratches and scrapes clean so they don't get infected.

As far as brakes go I wish we could all have 4 wheel ABS on our karts but it just isn't feasible. I know that doesn't sound particularly fun but I think it would prevent a lot of crashes.

I know for a fact ABS has saved my life a few times on my Harley with people pulling out in front of me from side streets and crossing in front of me. Folks just don't care anymore and cell phones don't help either.

My post isn't to criticize you. I might have done the very same thing. I think in situations like this it is our own duty to look upon ourselves and do our own criticizing. Which is what I think you have done when you shared this as a warning to others. Nothing wrong with looking out for your fellow man in your own moment of misfortune. Learn from it. Teach what you learn. Don't make the same mistake again. Move on. Do what you do.

JTSpeedDemon 08-25-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anickode (Post 531494)
Idk about specifically hydraulic brakes. I wouldn't run 40+ with a normal OEM band brake or scrubbers, but I would trust a mechanical disc as long as it was lockup capable.

Yeah, mechanical disc brakes are fine, but of course hydraulic is great if you can get it.
Whatever can lock the wheels up.
Heck, two band brakes might do the trick in a lot of situations!

Dingocat 08-25-2019 06:42 PM

Two of my karts lock up wheels with 1 band.

anickode 08-25-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingocat (Post 531502)
Two of my karts lock up wheels with 1 band.

At 40+mph?

Dingocat 08-25-2019 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anickode (Post 531506)
At 40+mph?

One does. Other will at 30. Done it before.

Budget GoKart 08-26-2019 05:16 AM

Brakes wouldnt have helped in this situation ill draw a diagram of what happend and what my freind thinks happend

Dingocat 08-26-2019 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budget GoKart (Post 531522)
Brakes wouldnt have helped in this situation ill draw a diagram of what happend and what my freind thinks happend

I know what you're sayin. Just talking about something else.

Budget GoKart 08-26-2019 05:50 AM

Basically my drive wheel drove over his front wheel he thinks by dead rear wheel ran his front over but i wouldve just spun out

anickode 08-26-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budget GoKart (Post 531526)
Basically my drive wheel drove over his front wheel he thinks by dead rear wheel ran his front over but i wouldve just spun out

And that's why concession karts have bumpers that surround the wheels. :lolgoku: