DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Go Kart Discussion (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Quick Warning to all karters (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41934)

Budget GoKart 08-26-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anickode (Post 531534)
And that's why concession karts have bumpers that surround the wheels. :lolgoku:

Or bodies that reminds me I need to find a go kart body lol!

madprofessor 10-30-2019 01:20 PM

Brake vs. chain.......

Lots of smart talk about brakes here, here's something not included yet.....
A guy told me about a situation where he had a kart using a jackshaft as most do, and he had a brake disc mounted on that shaft instead of on the rear axle. Thought he was being smart because the disc wouldn't get wet there going through wet grass. He got in a bad situation, even had a minor wreck, when the rear chain (driving the axle) broke or jumped off, whichever he said, and guess what, no brakes. Disc could only stop the jackshaft, without a chain the axle "jez kepp on aspinnin".

JTSpeedDemon 10-30-2019 02:59 PM

Scrub brakes are the most reliable!!!
:roflol::roflol:
Ridiculous, but true!
Except they also have the worst braking power. Mine can brake pretty well though, they're just hard on the tires.

J.S.@SMS 10-30-2019 04:47 PM

What about band brakes? And they save the tires.

JTSpeedDemon 10-30-2019 04:54 PM

All that has to happen with band brakes is a little water or oil to get in it and there goes your braking. Or the anchor or control rod to pop off, and kaput. Or even just a worn out band can cause problems.
But yes, they do save the tires.

Smerft85 10-30-2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTSpeedDemon (Post 535782)
All that has to happen with band brakes is a little water or oil to get in it and there goes your braking. Or the anchor or control rod to pop off, and kaput. Or even just a worn out band can cause problems.
But yes, they do save the tires.

Had my control rod pop off on my top speed run, down my street, toward a very busy cross street. Both feet went to the front tires, and got it to slide sideways on some gravel, basically "drifting" my way out of being run over. They are hard to slow down from 40+ when you unexpectedly don't have brakes, and I fully admit I got VERY lucky!

madprofessor 10-30-2019 09:42 PM

Wet brakes in or out........

True about band brakes getting wet and fading out. My last project, a minibike, I wanted to avoid that so I went with internal expanding shoes drum brakes, harder to get wet, and still work better than bands when they do. Didn't have the option of a whole lot of cable pull due to the use of a handlebar mounted brake lever, but a kart can get a much greater amount of pull action by proper attachment to the brake pedal.
My brake shoes were dragging in the drum because apparently no drums come perfectly round, or it's that bearings don't come perfectly straight in wheels. Point being I had to adjust them that close to get any real braking with a full pull of the lever, and even then couldn't lock the wheel up. You use those on a kart and you can adjust loose enough not to drag even before being broken in (like mine did) and still get enough pull to lock the tires. All mechanical, very strong grab, hard to get wet, makes for very reliable braking, that being the most important thing.
NOTE: I'm talking about using that setup on a live axle where both rear wheels will brake, not a single wheel brake, that's dangerous.

Bansil 11-05-2019 05:02 PM

:roflol: Dang junior, that wasn't even considered "pizza" back in the early 80's

Between bmx racing, trick riding and motorcycles, my parents were just glad we had tricare or whatever :thumbsup:

wenee9w 11-06-2019 05:31 PM

Glad your ok for the most part. Had one flip in gravel and ride me. Had on shorts, had a strawberry half way up my arse.

Bmr4Karts 11-06-2019 06:32 PM

I probably overdid it with hydraulic brakes on my Manco but me plus the kart add up to over 400lbs and it can hit 50mph. I can lock 9" wide slicks at full speed but it still slides far. I have been thinking about front brakes but at that point I may as well buy a used sprint kart.