DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Engines & Clutches (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Briggs And Stratton Discussion (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41315)

Budget GoKart 05-21-2019 08:00 AM

Briggs And Stratton Discussion

Feel free to chat about your Briggs engines, and stuff you have or want done to them. but please for the sake of the topic, add pics.
I'll start! I got a Briggs industrial plus 8hp, I'm not sure if I should keep it because it has a stepped shaft but I don't have pics yet because I lost my phone.

Kentucky Boy 05-21-2019 09:05 AM

Keep it and replace the crank with a straight shaft.

JTSpeedDemon 05-21-2019 09:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ooohooohoo!
Please don't let me take over this thread..... :lolgoku:
I'll just sum up my engine:
1985 flathead, model 132432, so it's got ball bearings.
The two most interesting features of this engine is the two piece Flo-Jet carburetor(float type rather than a Pulsa-Jet diaphragm carb), and the most interesting part, discovered just yesterday:
It's got a 4 HP(10 Ci) head from the factory!!
Obviously in an effort to raise compression.
The compression and the long intake runner(which makes for more torque, broader powerband) make it a BEAST of an engine for stock!
I've actually nicknamed it a HiPo flathead(since I'm a Ford guy), and I eventually intend to make some stickers/badges for it!
It actually has left tire marks on my porch, despite me sitting in it and the stock engine/high gearing combo!
It's got a lot of potential!
And yes I intend to mod it out.

Budget GoKart 05-21-2019 10:13 AM

Where would I get a crank?

JTSpeedDemon 05-21-2019 10:34 AM

Maybe find a standard 8 horse flathead and rob the crank?
It might be different, IDK.
If you wanted to, you could weld on a little piece of keyed round stock to the end of the crank...
Just make sure it's straight!

J.S.@SMS 05-21-2019 10:36 AM

The internet.

Budget GoKart 05-21-2019 01:23 PM

Would a peice of axel work?

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Would a peice of axel welded to the shaft work?

JTSpeedDemon 05-21-2019 03:57 PM

Actually, that could very well work!
1 in. crank with 3/16 keyway or similar + 1 in. axle with 3/16 in. keyway....
Should work in my head!

Tpdingo 05-21-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTSpeedDemon (Post 523239)
Actually, that could very well work!
1 in. crank with 3/16 keyway or similar + 1 in. axle with 3/16 in. keyway....
Should work in my head!

Yeah, somehow I don't think BudgetGK has access to the proper friction welder and lathe required to get the kind of strength and precision needed to make the proper modification. A normal weld will likely snap under that kind of pressure.

Or you could skip all that and get a pre-made stronger piece of metal right from the internet.

JTSpeedDemon 05-21-2019 05:13 PM

Yeah I agree, though.
Best option is probably to put the engine aside for now and find another crankshaft off the internet.

mckutzy 05-21-2019 05:23 PM

1" axle Shaft is an industry standard with a 1/4" keyway. A 3/16" keyway would be a custom, and all the parts would be custom as they are not a standard parts....

Budget GoKart 05-22-2019 01:07 PM

Ok so can any one link a crank?

Tpdingo 05-22-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budget GoKart (Post 523310)
Ok so can any one link a crank?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-Stra...wAAOSwG1JcJC15

Kentucky Boy 05-22-2019 01:45 PM

I second ebay. I changed out numerous tapered cranks with no problems. You will need gaskets also to complete the job.

Hellion 05-22-2019 01:54 PM

For a thread that’s supposed to have pics, this thread is surprisingly devoid of pics (save 1) :D

Dingocat 05-22-2019 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one, 5hp briggs from mid 90's with an older carb. Came from the briggs that was on my dingo.

JTSpeedDemon 05-22-2019 03:06 PM

Just wondering:
Have any of y'all ever seen a 5HP flathead with the updraft Flo-Jet carb like mine?
I just wanna know how rare it is.
I know there are smaller and bigger flatheads with the updrafts, though.

Hellion 05-22-2019 04:06 PM

Your updraft carb and configuration is not unusual, bro. But it's hardly a performance setup, either...:P

My question:
Anyone know of a general guide (build article, etc.) for building up a Briggs 5 horse for decent, all-around power up to but not exceeding a kart racing spec'd engine on methanol? But not methanol; I want to keep using cheap, plentiful pump gas at about 85 octane.

Looking for something to blast around on, not race, with medium to low end grunt. Think parking lots and trail running but also an engine that's not stressed to its absolute limits. I want it to last a long time.

I have seen information here and there, tidbits and snippets but nothing centralized or all in one place. I probably know enough already, but it would be neat to have a "blueprint".

Budget GoKart 05-22-2019 05:06 PM

For basics more compression port polish ya know the works little better carb mabey a honda clone carb performance spark plug thats plenty more hp and torque oh and straight pipe it!

Kentucky Boy 05-23-2019 02:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I would remove the governor. Put in a billet rod, billet flywheel, header, make an intake and put a VM22 on it. Aftermarket cam and stiffer springs. I’ve never shaved the eyebrows, not sure if it really adds anything since it would also decrease compression slightly (I get the concept). Basically same things you would do to a Predator. If your looking for reliability and longevity I wouldn’t do much more than that. Here’s a before and after pic of a 78 Flattie I rebuilt. It had a broken conn rod when I got it.it was a mess but turned out great.