DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Go Kart Discussion (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New guy & new ride - KenBar Jeep Streaker (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24496)

CJeep 01-13-2014 08:13 PM

New guy & new ride - KenBar Jeep Streaker

10 Attachment(s)
Howdy folks!

Great forum you have here. I'm a Jeep guy new to the kart game.

I just picked up this KenBar JP-8E Streaker kart - for a slew of reasons, it's the only one I wanted.

While I'd say it's in good shape, it's not all the way where I want it to be.

I'm looking for anybody with knowledge of the KenBar stuff, as of course they a long out of business. I get the impression that this was not a popular model, and made in limited numbers, but I don't know.

I have so, so, so many questions it's silly.

I think I have the steering sorted out, but it needs some toe-in. I think its actually toe-out right now - but that's an easy fix. Although, at speed, it seems that you could turn the wheels so far that the one side would lift, or maybe even flip. It's no longer so squirrely, but it seems capable of very sharp turns.

Pretty sure it's a Comet 30 attached to the 5-horse Honda. I have no frame of reference to tell if it is engaging correctly or not. It gets up and goes, but there is lag - I assume a part of that is normal, but again, i don't know how much. I guess I should take it off and clean it up - I have read the sticky in the engine section.

Aside from eliminating the low oil shut-off (which I have read about), the wiring is hacked up. I have to choke it to kill the engine - not ideal. It has lights, that I assume were connected to the engine, but those wires were disconnected. What the black one coming from near the carb?

I may just pick up a Predator 212 since they are $99 right now, and tune up the Honda as a spare.

While they don't wiggle, the front bearings feel like you are grinding rocks. Are the bearings a "standard" part? Where can I buy new ones?

This has dual read discs, which work, but the calipers (one more so that the other) seems to float more than I thought it should. Some of the cable force moves the calipers a bit instead of applying pressure. Again, I know what it should be like on my Jeep, but not on a Kart.

While I did not take a pic, this axle does have a differential. It does not act like a true open diff, should it? Is that bad too? can I rebuild it?

Ultimately, I want this to be safe for my 8-year old to drive. Thanks the the seat that moves 7" we both fit in it comfortably. But do to his age, top speed is not my main priority - just safe and reliable.

The body IS coming off soon, so that I can get to all of this stuff better, and clean up and paint some surface rust.

Need to clean it a bit more, I drove it home in a pouring rain storm, and the roads still had tons of salt/grit/sand, which kicked up into the trailer, which has a metal mesh floor.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me & for the great forum.

PS: Here is why I wanted this Kart for my kids - My ride

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/attachm...1&d=1389665469

Half-breeder 01-14-2014 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJeep (Post 304054)
I'm looking for anybody with knowledge of the KenBar stuff...

OK... before I go on... Im gonna state something that 'may' change your perspective of how to view your/any kart, to make things alil easier for you to grasp rebuilds/upgrades/repairs... there are no rules(except the physics of how things are... gravity, inertia, momentum, etc), so that pretty much means ANYTHING/everything is universal(w/ certain fabrication(s) to make it work). Bout the only thing that is 'company'/'name' specific(in your case) would be the body and any factory fittings/decals/accessories(for the body)... youll more than likely understand once you get it apart...

Quote:

I have so, so, so many questions it's silly.

By all means... join the club... just remember we cant see what you see... so detailed pics are gonna be a needed key factor upon your detailed questions...

Quote:

I think I have the steering sorted out, but it needs some toe-in. I think its actually toe-out right now - but that's an easy fix. Although, at speed, it seems that you could turn the wheels so far that the one side would lift, or maybe even flip. It's no longer so squirrely, but it seems capable of very sharp turns.

Keep an eye on tire wear... if there becomes any significant wear... it could be an 'Ackermann steering' issue... google it.

Quote:

What the black one coming from near the carb?

Possibly the wire for the lights... pic plz.

Quote:

I may just pick up a Predator 212 since they are $99 right now, and tune up the Honda as a spare.

EXCELLENT idea... unless your wanting to run the lights off the motor...(aint happening, HF212 dont have a charging option)

Quote:

While I did not take a pic, this axle does have a differential. It does not act like a true open diff, should it?

That's "probably" cause it's a LSD/Posi-track differential...

Quote:

Thanks so much for any help you can give me & for the great forum.

:welcome2:

CJeep 01-14-2014 04:27 AM

Thanks. Well, I spent a bunch of time imbedding my pics throught the post, but they are not there, but I can still see them as attachments. Can you? There are 10 pics.

landuse 01-14-2014 04:48 AM

It is eisier for us to decide if we want to open the thumbnails or not. I had to approve your post before it would display because of all the embedded links in the body of the post. Once you have a few more posts under your belt, that spam feature will fall away. I removed all the embedded pics because they were a duplicate of what you had attached already

CJeep 01-14-2014 06:24 AM

Fair enough. On the Jeep boards, guys are all about pictures and give new guys a hard time if they don't post up pics of a new project.

landuse 01-14-2014 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJeep (Post 304097)
Fair enough. On the Jeep boards, guys are all about pictures and give new guys a hard time if they don't post up pics of a new project.

Oh, we love pics here....the more the better. Keep doing what you are doing posting pics for us. It is sometimes the only way to help someone with a problem

CJeep 01-14-2014 03:32 PM

I was hoping someone on the board owns or owned one . . . so far no luck :(

2StrokedJeep 01-18-2014 11:34 PM

I just ran across this thread hoping to get more information as well. A buddy of mine and I are gonna be picking up one of these things on Monday, though we will not be keeping it the way it is. We're making an entirely new frame with added suspension, lifted, and powered by a 125cc 2-stroke yamaha engine. Has internal clutch and 5-speed trans. Being early 20's, we dont care much for safety, just wanna have fun. We'll also be painting it in Jurassic Park theme, grey with red. We're hoping to take it out mudding with us or down to the beach. Surprised to see how rare these little things are.

kcjaxxnc 01-19-2014 12:10 AM

honestly if its alot of work id go with the predators i have 3 alot cheaper even in maintenance. i got mine for free saved all from a scrap pile didnt spend much to fix up either. ill put it this way if you have a honda you paid more than 99 bux for your less likely to ride the snot out of it and your more like the over protective parent in a way if u get my drift.

firemanjim 01-19-2014 09:44 AM

Mehhh,..... I just run the snot out all my toys. If it dont break, well, GREAT! If it does break,you just KNOW I was having some fun.......:wai::lolgoku:

KartFab 01-19-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcjaxxnc (Post 304678)
if you have a honda you paid more than 99 bux for your less likely to ride the snot out of it and your more like the over protective parent in a way if u get my drift.

I got my gx390 for $75, and i ride the snot out of it. Hondas are good, and the only reason the predators are good is because they pretty much copied honda. You can get a decent used honda gx 160/gx200 for about $100 too, just to point that out. I have owned 2 predators and they are a cheap/reliable alternative to a new honda though that is very true.