DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Engines & Clutches (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Difficult to start all of the sudden (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40586)

t1704 01-22-2019 10:13 AM

Difficult to start all of the sudden

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

I could use some help. Since rebuilding this kart, I've had no problems starting it (typically 5-6 pulls when cold, only 1-2 when it's warm). My son took it and road it pretty hard a couple weeks ago, got it caked in mud that we cleaned up and now it's a PITA to start.

A couple notes here:
1) After the day of riding, I had to adjust the idle higher to keep it running once we got it started (Actually idles a bit higher than what I think it should to accomplish this and the idle screw is in a bit from what it was originally)
2) To start it, I have to manually give it gas while I'm pulling it to get it started, then continue to manually keep it going until it warms up.

Again, everything seemed fine before. Besides the idle adjustment, is there something else I should be tweaking? Any other thoughts??

Thanks, Travis

Nosandwich 01-22-2019 10:56 AM

Your carb was dirty to start with, and now has gotten worse. PERIOD..

5-6 pulls to start is ridiculous, 2 when warm super ridiculous. Consider yourself lucky you got away with what you did, and clean or replace that carb.

I think we're done here.

Texan 01-22-2019 11:41 AM

Did you change the jet when you put the bigger air filter on? Or maybe a cracked intake manifold...

PullHorse 01-22-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosandwich (Post 514576)

5-6 pulls to start is ridiculous, 2 when warm super ridiculous. Consider yourself lucky you got away with what you did, and clean or replace that carb.

I think we're done here.

Are you for real?

t1704 01-22-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosandwich (Post 514576)

I think we're done here.

Really? You've been quite helpfull.... The carb is brand new and yes, I changed the jet with the stage 1 kit. We just finished rebuilding this a couple of months back - have had no problems until a day in the mud. It still starts and runs, but again, very temperamental now.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan (Post 514582)
Did you change the jet when you put the bigger air filter on? Or maybe a cracked intake manifold...

Thanks for the response. I did change the jet with the one that came with the stage 1 kit and the carb is only a couple months old, so everything appears fine with the carb. I thought maybe the breather filter from the tank was dirty, but trying to start it with the breather disconnected didn't improve anything. I also wonder if it might have something to do with the governer arm spring, but not too familiar with how to jack with that other than remove, which I don't intend to do for this one.

karl 01-22-2019 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would pull the low speed jet , the little one under the throttle idle adjustment screw.

Poke a brissle from a wire brush through, or drill to #78, should start first pull cold. Blow out and lube o-rings before install. And I would pull the carb bowl and look for any sediment, you could have crap in your gas cans.

Once you do that, you can rule out any gummed up carb issues.

Ebrownie 01-22-2019 07:29 PM

Yeah you said you rode it in the mud? One time my buddy and I rode his dingo around in some wet sloppy slushy mud for a long time, until his predator eventually quit running. We took the filter off (identical to yours) and there was a nice layer of mud in the bottom of the carb. Mud will still go through those filters if there is enough of it.

We ended up completely flushing his whole engine, and cleaning the carb, and then it ran fine again. Yours probably isn’t as bad as his was, but if I had to guess I would bet somethings plugged up in your carb.

Nosandwich 01-22-2019 09:03 PM

Thanks for the extra info, but, as said, it's underjetted on the idle jet, ( or something else is wrong), should start on one or two pulls cold, and one everytime warm.

Speaking of warm, I'm betting a warm flat beer that a dirty carb IS your problem. New doesn't always mean clean, either. Sometimes pieces of crap get mixed in in manufacturing or packing for shipping, then work their way into the worst possible places.

Sorry if you think I am trying to belittle you, but my point was, that you didn't have something " fine" to begin with.

landuse 01-22-2019 10:48 PM

I would look at cleaning the carb as a first thing to try. Riding in mud is never good for any type of engine

ezcome-ezgo 01-23-2019 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PullHorse (Post 514585)
Are you for real?

He's as real as a millenial's self-awareness.

t1704 01-23-2019 07:27 AM

Thanks for everyone's advice and input - I'll pull the carb apart and clean this weekend.

landuse 01-23-2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t1704 (Post 514649)
Thanks for everyone's advice and input - I'll pull the carb apart and clean this weekend.

Maybe give the air filter a clean as well while you are there

t1704 02-12-2019 07:34 AM

Well, I cleaned the carb and airfilter and put a .018 low speed jet in it and it still takes 6+ pulls and manually engaging the throttle to start this thing. Runs great once I get it started. Any other thoughts? I appreciate the help.

Kaptain Krunch 02-12-2019 11:35 AM

Check valve clearance. Did you check the inlet valve when you cleaned carburetor? should hold ~6psi indefinitely with needle and float installed, and carburetor inverted.

mckutzy 02-12-2019 03:44 PM

Ummm... Im pretty sure that the thin small spring around the throttle rod is supposed to be on the butterfly valve, in order to have good idle.... Its off in the first pic.....

t1704 02-16-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckutzy (Post 515632)
Ummm... Im pretty sure that the thin small spring around the throttle rod is supposed to be on the butterfly valve, in order to have good idle.... Its off in the first pic.....

Dude - youíre my hero!! I didnít even notice that spring came off. Started 3rd pull on a very cold day after sitting all week. Much appreciation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mckutzy 02-16-2019 02:30 PM

No problem.....Good to hear that was it... kinda looked off... but thats what you have to look for.....