DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Go Kart Discussion (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Harbor Freight tires... (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37764)

The Repairist 09-28-2017 08:56 PM

Harbor Freight tires...

I will most definitely sound like a huge idiot for this, but are harbor freight tires a okay substitute for others?

MTNSleder 09-28-2017 09:29 PM

No not good tires at all... I'll bet you $100 they won't last an hour ;)

In other words money is best spent elsewhere...

Ebrownie 09-28-2017 09:46 PM

Harbor freight tires are for wheelbarrows, not go karts. Paper thin rims and tires that won't last 15 minutes on a kart. It is not a good idea at all.

MTNSleder 09-28-2017 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebrownie (Post 482037)
....won't last 15 minutes...

Your really setting it low now :D

landuse 09-29-2017 01:06 AM

NO!!! Just NO.

pRoFiT 09-29-2017 01:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine lasted 15 minutes before it was scary to use them.

Just look at my thread. see this post
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showpos...&postcount=131

and this is another 15-20 minutes on my second set. i purchased 4 so might as well have fun for 30 minutes.

p.s. great for adjusting camber and seeing how it will effect good tires. See this image i fixed my camber.

anickode 09-29-2017 05:10 AM

Now some GOOD quality hand truck wheels with sawtooth tires that are made of RUBBER instead of foam vinyl garbage would be ok for a while... They will also have one piece wheels instead of split rims, and better bearings and grease zerks. You will still destroy the low speed bearings in short order, and they usually cost $25 apiece. Might as well buy go kart wheels at that point.

anickode 09-29-2017 09:08 AM

Also depends on the kart and where you ride. If it's a 15mph yard kart that runs on grass, they might do ok. If it's a 40mph kart that runs on tarmac and does a lot of hard cornering, they will scrub bald and the hubs will snap off in no time.

Dustin2017 09-29-2017 09:17 AM

my kids have hf wheels on there drift trikes and they burn up the bearings quickly.

bigrigbri 09-29-2017 09:44 AM

EBay has always been a friend when buying tyres (tires) for my go karts and even the car in the past.
Go for ride on mower stuff it's generally better made and are made from rubber instead of play doe.

MTNSleder 09-29-2017 10:17 AM

If you want good tires go to a tires shop and order up something with a Good brand name like ,
Goodyear, and something with a thicker ply to... They cost a lot but in the long run there worth it...

leesiel 09-29-2017 11:30 AM

:
Quote:

Originally Posted by anickode (Post 482076)
Also depends on the kart and where you ride. If it's a 15mph yard kart that runs on grass, they might do ok. If it's a 40mph kart that runs on tarmac and does a lot of hard cornering, they will scrub bald and the hubs will snap off in no time.

:iagree:
I have used HF tires and snapped all but one ....in the beginning (when I knew nothing) i bought a pair for front of my yardkart and promptly broke or bent them. I have one on the front now with no issues after 20 +hrs of ride time mostly because i have a real go kart tire on the other side and i believe that it toats most of the torsional load.
Having said that I would not recommend those tires to someone else

KingCobra 09-29-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anickode (Post 482076)

I agree!! Most folks just run the streets and most times in circles which will chew up any 'off road' tire in no time. Remember, most tires at HF are off road tires and probably tested as such. You want a good tire for the road, get a DOT tire then.

anickode 09-29-2017 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingCobra (Post 482109)
I agree!! Most folks just run the streets and most times in circles which will chew up any 'off road' tire in no time. Remember, most tires at HF are off road tires and probably tested as such. You want a good tire for the road, get a DOT tire then.

No, when harbor freight tires say off road, it means off road compared to a hard solid rubber hand truck tire. Because that's what is is. A hand truck tire. So it's compared against smooth floor hand truck tires. It has absolutely nothing to do with grip, treadwear, or DOT compliance.

Yes, a set of good Carlisle knobbies will wear out in a month if you run it for hours every day on asphalt. Harbor Freight hand truck tires will wear out in one hour or less under the same conditions.

That and the manufacturing standards are poor on hand truck tires. They rarely run true, they wobble, eccentric rotation, out of balance, bearing burning junk that isn't designed to take any sort of impact. They are meant to go 4mph.

KingCobra 09-29-2017 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Repairist (Post 482034)
I will most definitely sound like a huge idiot for this, but are harbor freight tires a okay substitute for others?

OK, I just returned from the HF website. All tires are listed for hand trucks, dollies, wheel barrows, and lawn mowers. All of those items do travel 5 mph or less so I would say NO. IF they have a tire listed under GO KART, then it must be a better quality tire, but they don't. DON'T use a tire for which it wasn't intended and then call it junk. On a hand truck or lawn mower, it might last 3 or so years. I suggest searching your local areas for off road atv tires that were intended to be beaten upon buy something that travels 20 mph or so. Hope that helps.... I sure feel better now..... BTW, my favorite all around tire is pictured below. I will keep looking for this tire that I hear is discontinued.............

Hellion 09-29-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Repairist (Post 482034)

They are a indeed a perfect substitute for others.

You are asking this question on a go kart forum and everyone here assumed you were talking about go kart use. :o:rolleyes:

But the wheels HF sells are perfect substitutes for the intended application. Need a new wheelbarrow wheel? HF has you covered. Need some dolly wheels? HF has you covered, et cetera, et cetera....

KartFab 09-29-2017 07:06 PM

Hey guys I think you are all being a little harsh, give this guy a break. 15 minutes? really? Come on, the most I heard them lasting was 2 hours, which is like 8 times longer than what you said. JEEEEEZE.

chancer 09-29-2017 08:24 PM

Those tires are not even good to replace dolly tires. They are just terrible.
Best use for them is a shop ashtray.

pRoFiT 09-29-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KartFab (Post 482132)
Hey guys I think you are all being a little harsh, give this guy a break. 15 minutes? really? Come on, the most I heard them lasting was 2 hours, which is like 8 times longer than what you said. JEEEEEZE.

I dare you to put those on and Drive full speed for 2 hours! Wont last more then 15 on the road. Maybe in dirt. But then you have to worry about them snapping on the first hole in the ground.

KingCobra 09-30-2017 07:41 PM

OK, that does it, I quit...............snapping tires? Gadzooks!!!