DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Go Kart Discussion (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   help!! dont know what im doing (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8912)

chainuh 09-09-2010 12:31 AM

help!! dont know what im doing

5 Attachment(s)
hey guys im completely new with the go kart scene. i just picked up 2 go karts that are not running. where do i start to get them to run. i purchased it for my nephews and one of their bdays is this saturday. how i can i get them running in time. what do i need and how do i put them on. sorry to inconvenience you guys with this. also i would like to know how much i would be spending to get them running. thank you for the help

chainuh 09-09-2010 12:44 AM

5 Attachment(s)
here is the second go kart, the 2 seater

Bluethunder3320 09-09-2010 12:50 AM

well to start, i saw ur 2nd go karts chain is rusted BAD. might be able to use it just for a little longer, oil it.

begin proceedure.........
drain gas.
open carb bowls & clean them out.
check spark plug- check for spark.
refill the gas tanks with fresh.....
pour some gas into the carb to prime it if they dont start.

gee getting them running by saturday may be hard, if its a serious problem.
ive never really brought anything anywhere to get fixed.

it will usually run or at least pop if u have compression and spark.

chainuh 09-09-2010 01:02 AM

okay, well i didnt really get into too much detail on these karts, so here it goes:

go kart 1 (1 seater)
the engine works, but it doesnt have that spinning thing that connects to the tire, or whatever its called. there are no brakes (referring to picture 2) i dont know where or how to install it. for some reason i could tell that it doesnt go as far left than it does right. so i dont know how to fix that.

go kart 2 (2 seater)
the engine does not work. there is a flat on one of the tires. dont know anything else about this kart didnt take that good of a look on this one.

so i have chains and tires for the the 2 seater. i want to replace these motors, because the guy told me that the 1 seater has a 3.5hp motor. and the second one needs to be worked on. but i dont know how to work on any of these things. so please help!!!

Bluethunder3320 09-09-2010 01:22 AM

wow, that spinning thing is important. its called the drive sprocket. also no chain either. whoever sold u this most likely ripped u off. try to remove the wheel and take a pic.

kart #2,

rust rust rust! that motor looks bad. i can see those 2 stretched out springs must operate some sort of redneck pedal return system.

give the cord a pull. if the motor turns over than its not a bad motor, if its locked up its seised, and thats not good.

fowler 09-09-2010 01:27 AM

what is your asses to tools.
first simple things like spanners and srew drivers.
then things like a drill or a grinder.
and last of all a welder.

Bluethunder3320 09-09-2010 01:35 AM

hey, found out that go kart #2 uses a techumseh 5.0 power sport. although, theyre out of business. http://gokartsusa.com/tecumsehengine.aspx

go kart #1 looks like a briggs & stratton 3.5 like you said, and the tin was painted black.
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...ank,%20Muffler
check the shaft size before u buy this

chainuh 09-09-2010 01:51 AM

cant i just buy this engine and put it on both of these karts and get the necessary parts to get them running?

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...ine-66014.html

fowler 09-09-2010 02:39 AM

proberly, but it might bolt on a differant way

chainuh 09-09-2010 02:43 AM

what do you mean? do you mean mounting the engine?

fowler 09-09-2010 02:44 AM

yes
the bolt pattern of the mounting holes are not the same on all engines

it may fit on the 2nd go kart

chainuh 09-09-2010 02:49 AM

okay cool. so how do i get the 1st kart running. how do i get the brake system working and where do i get the springs for the 2nd go kart's brake

fowler 09-09-2010 02:51 AM

the spring can proberly be sought from a hardware store

chainuh 09-09-2010 02:55 AM

what about the 1st kart there is no brake system connected to it

Bluethunder3320 09-09-2010 12:55 PM

go to www.northerntool.com and search for brakes

mike75925 09-09-2010 01:25 PM

at this point, you should probably unbolt the engines, and stick the briggs on the two seater. that is, if the the chain from the two seater will fit the clutch on the briggs. the two seater is more complete, minus a running engine. a band brake will cost 10 to 15. if the chain will fit, remove it and let soak in oil or spray down with wd40 or other penetrating lube, around $5 a can. if spraying the chain with lube, reinstall on sprockets and turn the wheel. working the wheel back and forth may get the chain loosened enough. watch your fingers, chains bite hard. if the chain just will not loosen up, replace it. buying chain in a 10' roll is around the same price as getting the exact length from a mower shop. if the return springs are doing their jobs, you can leave them in place for saturday. finding a good proper length return spring without getting a factory one can be a pain. are all the tires on both karts the same size? if so swap one over.

devino246 09-09-2010 02:03 PM

not to be a total ***, but you really shouldnt have bought these karts. Its pretty obvious that you have no clue what your doing and these are gonna take alot of work. You should be able to bolt on a clone, the mouting bolt pattern should be the same. However, the chain length might need to be changed and the current throttle hookup probably wont work. If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for the both of these?

KieranM 09-09-2010 02:33 PM

your best bet is to make one decent kart out of the two you have. Also im prety sure that 2 stroke exhaust adds very little power if any, looks totally out of place (kart1)

Kaptain Krunch 09-09-2010 02:36 PM

I'd love to meet the idiot who put that expansion chamber on a 5hp briggs haha.

KieranM 09-09-2010 02:40 PM

me too