DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Go Kart Discussion (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Custom front spindles (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42787)

5814SpeedCo 01-31-2020 07:44 AM

Custom front spindles

2 Attachment(s)
Got my custom built spindle parts in the mail yesterday for my daughter's off road kart build. All made from 1/4" steel. They will be beefy and be able to take a beating!! Can't wait to get them welded up! After that I will make the new a-arms for it.

These are designed to use heim joints along with high-misalingment spacers for max turning angle. Got a few other goodies cut out and in the mail yesterday to help adapt ATV wheels to it.

5814SpeedCo 01-31-2020 07:55 AM

Center hole distance is 6" and just over 3" wide. The steering mount will be figured out after these are welded up and put on the kart. I have a rack and pinion steering I will be using as well that is 11" wide. Should be a good handling kart when it's done!

The front wheel hub plates are made for trx400 front wheels and got a hub bearing tube from BMI karts that will be welded to them. Also will be welding in the bolts to the hub plates.

Bansil 01-31-2020 03:13 PM

Looks good

landuse 02-02-2020 11:37 PM

Ooooh! Nice!!!

5814SpeedCo 02-16-2020 10:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
These things are going to be beefy!!! I need to get the axle bolts for them before I can tack on the front plate. May also looking into getting another batch laser cut for a better fitment without having to grind on them due to some slight beveling while being plasma cut. But for now they are going together really good and I'll get the steering portion once they are on the kart.

itsid 02-16-2020 11:08 AM

the fourth pic looks almost like a brembo brake caliper ;)

'sid

5814SpeedCo 02-17-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsid (Post 542320)
the fourth pic looks almost like a brembo brake caliper ;)

'sid

Can't say that I've seen a Brembo caliper look like that. Either way I should have theses finished up by next weekend. Still have to make the a-arms for them and get a few more heim joints and threaded inserts.

PullHorse 02-17-2020 10:52 AM

Where did you get this weldable kit?

5814SpeedCo 02-17-2020 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PullHorse (Post 542383)
Where did you get this weldable kit?

I designed them at my work and had a friend cut them out. I have the ability to cut them out at my work as well if you're interested.

anickode 02-17-2020 04:36 PM

It's a nice simple design for sure. Any concerns about the steering angle being too limited by the range of motion of the heim joints? Most have about a 15-20 effective range of angular motion which isn't much for steering. Typically you'd see them set up with radial motion for the steering axis.

Bansil 02-17-2020 04:44 PM

Not knocking you, but why does everyone make the assembly notches when the fitment is so bad with plasma? I see a lot of it on plasma sites. Most of the parts wouldn't be any harder to mockup with clamps and 123 blocks?

Oh....I am curious because I am waiting on my plasma table to ship and have a bunch of parts I plan to cut out like you would with conventional cnc mill, I come from cnc mill, lathe and edm world (day job and tired of cut off wheels and grinders at home) :popcorn:

5814SpeedCo 02-17-2020 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anickode (Post 542396)
It's a nice simple design for sure. Any concerns about the steering angle being too limited by the range of motion of the heim joints? Most have about a 15-20 effective range of angular motion which isn't much for steering. Typically you'd see them set up with radial motion for the steering axis.

I have high-misalingment spacers added in, I have 56 degrees total range of motion, it's the same range of motion that Protodie uses on their front spindles. I did a lot of research and design simulation before making the final decision.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bansil (Post 542397)
Not knocking you, but why does everyone make the assembly notches when the fitment is so bad with plasma? I see a lot of it on plasma sites. Most of the parts wouldn't be any harder to mockup with clamps and 123 blocks?

Oh....I am curious because I am waiting on my plasma table to ship and have a bunch of parts I plan to cut out like you would with conventional cnc mill, I come from cnc mill, lathe and edm world (day job and tired of cut off wheels and grinders at home) :popcorn:

I work at a place that does CNC plasma and Oxy-FUEL cutting. These were cut by a friend up north on a small at home plasma table. Needed them rushed as we are backlogged at work right now. We have a hi-def 5-axis plasma table that would out a better edge on the parts. If I do another batch I will do it at work.

The notches were just to see if it would do good or not. It does help but yes there was some grinding involved.

Bansil 02-17-2020 05:08 PM

:cheers2:

5814SpeedCo 02-17-2020 05:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here you can see the spacers and range of motion

anickode 02-17-2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bansil (Post 542397)

You should see high resolution plasma cutting. Narrower kerf, nearly perfect square edge profile, and much faster and cheaper to run than laser.

Even standard plasma cutting can be incredibly precise when done on a good table with the right consumable setup and proper programming.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5814SpeedCo (Post 542401)
Here you can see the spacers and range of motion

Not too bad I guess I'm partial to a little tighter turn radius myself, but to each their own. :cheers2:

5814SpeedCo 02-18-2020 01:30 PM

It will be trial and error but I think with adding some negative camber to it, it should steer pretty good. At least that will be easy to adjust. If it proves not to steer that great then a quick redesign, make the parts at work for dirt cheap...if not free!

We cut some 3/16" steel today on our high-def 5-axis plasma cutter and the edges came out super clean and were some pretty intricate parts.

Bansil 02-18-2020 07:25 PM

Amazing machines, i have a customer/vendor...lol...that does 5 axis laser work on class 8 truck fender liners and such, wow...technology has gone cray,cray. **** their waterjet table can fit a full size truck or 2!

5814SpeedCo 02-21-2020 07:44 AM

Here is a 3D simulation I did in Solidworks for the design of the spindle. I've added about 7-9 degrees of negative camber to it, that's what you side the inside face of the spindle when it turns. If not then you wouldn't see any at all, we'll see how this translates into actual function once everything is up and running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH_BIaqori0