DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Engines & Clutches (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   ****ing Peice Of **** Briggs Crank Case!!! (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4637)

freakboy 08-04-2009 12:05 AM

****ing Peice Of **** Briggs Crank Case!!!

Well i was puttiin my 20 hp briggs back together and i was tightining down and it wouldnt go so i started tighteing all the bolts got to one and SNAP the damb peice of **** snaped and now theres a big *** crack/hole. the case appears to be cast alum. can i take it to the shop up the road and get them to weld it back together? or should i just get a new one?

vandancouver 08-04-2009 12:09 AM

**** man 20 hp briggs? lets see apic of what its on

also, cast alum is pretty weak. im a glazier (glass and metal, mostly aluminum) and the cast is weak ****. we have door pivots that are cast, if you drop one off a 4 foot ladder it will snap. i dont know man about fixing it..im no welder so im not sure. i guess i would try it and see what the price difference is.

good luck

Carlman 08-04-2009 01:30 AM

:useless: And yes it is possibe depending on size of the hole

moetrout 08-04-2009 05:58 AM

I've seen it done before, but that was a dime size hole on a 5hp.

freakboy 08-04-2009 11:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
here the pics this fixable?

moetrout 08-04-2009 12:44 PM

Ewe! I thought you said hole, not a big chunk taken off the edge! My guess is no. Now if you could do it yourself or a friend would do it for free then I certianly would try it, but I would not pay.

freakboy 08-04-2009 01:06 PM

the guys up the road might be able to do it for free. if its not free it will be cheep. they might even mill the top so its flat.

Affair_driven 08-04-2009 05:32 PM

Were mating surfaces in contact with each other when casting snapped?

lemegacool 08-04-2009 05:38 PM

MAYBE alu tig weld would work... but not sure on cast... or you could try one of those alu brazing rod : http://durafix.com/ might worth a try

freakboy 08-04-2009 05:39 PM

alright well lastnight i was working on it around 2 and me and my freind were gettin it all back together and of course this freaking happend. im so ****ed off as soon as it did that i freakin kicked a damb vise that weighs like 70 pounds.

and no for some reason they were stuck half an inch away from eachother and i was goin around in a cris cross patern and i started tighnin this one and SNAP

moetrout 08-04-2009 06:31 PM

Durafix sucks eggs!

freakboy 08-04-2009 06:32 PM

durafix???

Oh yeah would jb weld work for this hahahah?

t0x1k 08-04-2009 06:43 PM

You're better off duct taping it.
Welding cast iron is hard enough. Aluminum has to be harder.

Why exactly were you tightening it without the case being closed?

Affair_driven 08-04-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

or some reason they were stuck half an inch away from eachother and i was goin around in a cris cross patern and i started tighnin this one and SNAP
Have you figured out the problem as far as assembly goes?
If all is correct, case should just fall together without brute force.
Was this part of case difficult to separate to begin with?

freakboy 08-04-2009 06:46 PM

everything was in place but it wouldnt go down. and ryan didnt like me hitting it with a hammer to get it in. lol i had a block of wood.

yeah it was kinda hard to get it off the first time i pryed it up with a crow bar hhahaha.

Affair_driven 08-04-2009 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Before pouring $$$'s into repair, try to assemble case to get a "feel" for how it should fit.
I use a plastic mallet for tough to assemble (or disassemble) parts.
Lightly tapping around perimeter of case should help it to come together.
To try to wrench down an aluminum casting is asking for trouble. Not built for that kind of stress, as you have discovered.

freakboy 08-04-2009 07:26 PM

thing is i had the case together before then i took it off cleaned all the surfaces and stuff and im wondering if i seal it up if all the bolts will hold it in the right spots and since that has a bolt hole there just put it in there to close it up.

Affair_driven 08-04-2009 07:33 PM

I'd be concerned about the crowbar stuff.
What did that do to parts...?
Also, were these parts gasketed, or do they use an anaerobic sealant?

freakboy 08-04-2009 07:36 PM

they had gaskets on em. everything looked fine after i used the crowbar(gently) and it was a small one to. i have 3 gaskets exactly like the thing there and 3 that are nothign like it lol

Affair_driven 08-04-2009 07:47 PM

If it were my engine I think I would replace the snapped case.
If that's not possible, use the old case "as is" and gob on the JB Weld. Fully clean area with alcohol before applying the stuff.