DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery & Project Log (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   mini monster truck (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21316)

koltynsherman 03-18-2013 06:44 PM

mini monster truck

5 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, my Dad and I have been redoing my mini monster. I'm just going to list what I have done to it. The frame and body are original everything else is new. I extended the engine mounting plate oh yea btw I have learned how to weld and have a 220 volt wirefeed mig welder.okay back to topic lol. I installed a new 16hp duromax engine, a custom welded exhaust stack, a new 40 series clutch, 4 new carlisle badlands with new wheels. All new bearings and new paint. My Dad painted the body and I did all the frame work. I strenghthen the front end, installed keys in the hub to make it a live axle instead of one wheel drive. I also added some little things like a horn and fog lights and will be installing a stereo and winch. I have also started building a trailer to pull behind it. Let me know what you think.

koltynsherman 03-18-2013 06:46 PM

oh and forgot to mention, i cut off the old band brakes and welded up disc brakes.

Doc Sprocket 03-18-2013 06:56 PM

Lookin' pretty dang good!

koltynsherman 03-18-2013 07:00 PM

i will try and put up a video in a few days.but dont have a youtube account yet.

souperman000 03-18-2013 07:08 PM

:drool5:

Got any pics of the trailer? What are you planning to do for the hitch? That thing looks awesome!

koltynsherman 03-18-2013 08:02 PM

trailer

2 Attachment(s)
these are the only pics i have right now but im done with the hitch. im half way on the trailer i just used a regular truck reciver hitch and cut up four mower blades and cut the angled ends off so they were just flat plate and welded them into a square for the hitch to slide into. then welded it to the frame and before i welded them together just lined up the pre existing holes of the mower blades so i can slide a pin thru the hitch.

landuse 03-19-2013 01:01 AM

That is one sweet truck. How does she drive? What gearing do you have set up?

You have done a great job for a youngster. I love seeing young people get their hands dirty

Orange Krate 03-19-2013 03:08 AM

Very Nice! I remember seeing these raffled off at business openings when I was a kid.

koltynsherman 03-20-2013 06:20 AM

I'm running a 65 tooth on axle and a 10 on the jackshaft .I was running a 12 on the jackshaft. but she was to fast she would do every bit of 45mph but it was to fast .with the 10 tooth on the jackshaft she does about 34mph but even with a live axle she can spin out about 20 feet and break loose on concrete It awesome once you got over about 38mph she starts to hop because of the tires.

mysteryboy28 03-20-2013 07:02 AM

if you're gonna be hauling things, you might want to consider setting up a secondary jackshaft so you can go even lower than 6.5:1 - like 8:1! (yes, 8:1 is LOWER than 6.5:1, that would be like an 80 tooth sprocket on the axle, which would probably cause ground clearance issues) then you will have gobs of torque, and some good hauling capability without burning up the clutch (torque converter i assume?).

cumminsbayou4x4 03-20-2013 07:11 AM

does it off road good with the gearing? does it want to flip on hills?

koltynsherman 03-20-2013 08:50 AM

Gearing

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysteryboy28 (Post 264910)
if you're gonna be hauling things, you might want to consider setting up a secondary jackshaft so you can go even lower than 6.5:1 - like 8:1! (yes, 8:1 is LOWER than 6.5:1, that would be like an 80 tooth sprocket on the axle, which would probably cause ground clearance issues) then you will have gobs of torque, and some good hauling capability without burning up the clutch (torque converter i assume?).

I actually have a 60 tooth on the axle and I dont think I have enough room for another jackshaft but I'm not going to be hauling the trailer all the time I built it to put a cooler and chairs on so when we're at like a car show we don't have to carry stuff around.do you think it will be okay.thanks

koltynsherman 03-20-2013 09:13 AM

Offroad

Quote:

Originally Posted by cumminsbayou4x4 (Post 264912)
does it off road good with the gearing? does it want to flip on hills?

Yea it off roads good it'll do donuts and and spin out. as far as hills it hasn't tried to flip on me .except it almost did when i took a corner to quick but luckily it didnt flip .but it climbs hills no problem the motor hardly works at all it will bog a little if you don't give it enough throttle going uphill .but it'll spin the tires no problem uphill it had plenty of power to do anything I want and I'm hard on machines.i like the gearing because I still have speed and alot of torque.

mysteryboy28 03-20-2013 10:17 AM

and that's what matters! :) if it works, don't change it! :cheers2:

msanders03 03-22-2013 11:19 AM

what size are the tires and wheels?

Kelly Wood 03-23-2013 08:16 AM

Excellent work guys! Love the exhaust lookin pipe in the bed.

koltynsherman 03-25-2013 08:02 AM

tires and wheels

Quote:

Originally Posted by msanders03 (Post 265254)
what size are the tires and wheels?

they are 22x11x8 carlisle badlands all the way around with just normal 8 inch wheels im going to pe putting hubcaps on to make it a little more aggressive lookin.

koltynsherman 03-25-2013 08:05 AM

exhaust

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly Wood (Post 265443)
Excellent work guys! Love the exhaust lookin pipe in the bed.

it was my dads old truck exhaust tip so i welded it to the header.its really loud it has a real throaty sound to it.