DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Crazy Craigslist Finds (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   $500 Doodle Bug (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37438)

bob58o 08-15-2017 07:32 PM

$500 Doodle Bug

1 Attachment(s)
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/m...265072527.html
Pretty sweet! Decent price.

Custom Built by me. Needs nothing but maybe a new chain. I put a used one on there. Has a Honda Gx200 (6.5hp) with 85 hours on it. Has an hour meter/ tach. Governor delete, oil sensor delete, NEW Mikuni 22mm carb and high flow air filter. New 30 series torque converter, new bars, new billet risers, new header with Rlv muffler, X18 pocket bike 10" wheels and forks, runs and rides great. Has working lights that run off a 3s lipo battery( included) rear tire has a slow leak at the bead otherwise needs nothing. I also have the front hydraulic brake set up but need a longer line to use it. (Available online.) Rear disc brake works just fine.

No trades want the cash, no lowball offers will be considered.

Bbqjoe 08-15-2017 08:58 PM

Maybe if you cleaned it up a little? :D

bob58o 08-15-2017 09:57 PM

I've been thinking about how to put front disc brakes on a minibike. Is it as simple as finding a flanged hub rear wheel to attach a rotor to and slapping it on the front. Then weld a bracket to the forks for the caliper?

Or use pocket bike wheel and forks like done here.

Texan 08-15-2017 09:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Nice bike, hopefully the market in your area will fetch you your asking price. Rarely see mini bikes in this area sell for $500 plus. This ad has been up for a couple weeks, the guy is also asking $500, says it hit 90mph :smiley_omg:

Attachment 88068

Attachment 88069

Attachment 88070

bob58o 08-15-2017 10:01 PM

I'm not selling it. I want to buy it. LOL
I just copied the post from the ad.

I'm guessing it will sell for closer to $400 around here, but depends on how long he sits on it.

At least I know I should look for cheap pocket bikes and collect brake parts and wheels and stuff.

WeddingRing 08-15-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob58o (Post 477849)
I'm not selling it. I want to buy it. LOL
I just copied the post from the ad.

I'm guessing it will sell for closer to $400 around here, but depends on how long he sits on it.

At least I know I should look for cheap pocket bikes and collect brake parts and wheels and stuff.

The longer he sits on it, the more squished the seat will get!:idea2:

bob58o 08-16-2017 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeddingRing (Post 477860)
The longer he sits on it, the more squished the seat will get!:idea2:

It'll be warmer tho.

Bbqjoe 08-16-2017 12:46 AM

I too thought about a front disc brake for my Baja.
I figured I could just take a rear wheel, attach an old sprocket with the teeth ground off, and add a caliper.
Just never got around to it.

ezcome-ezgo 08-16-2017 06:23 AM

Has what looks like negative trail (not sure if that's correct nomenclature) in the steering geometry. Might be a squirrely ride.

bob58o 08-16-2017 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezcome-ezgo (Post 477889)
Has what looks like negative trail (not sure if that's correct nomenclature) in the steering geometry. Might be a squirrely ride.

Isn't this trail? Look closely for the little blue lines.

Ebrownie 08-16-2017 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob58o (Post 478032)
Isn't this trail? Look closely for the little blue lines.

No I think that's rake, the angle of the forks? Maybe I am misinterpreting your lines.

bob58o 08-16-2017 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebrownie (Post 478033)
No I think that's rake, the angle of the forks? Maybe I am misinterpreting your lines.

Isn't trail the distance on the ground (road, street, surface, whatever...) between a vertical line through the center of the wheel and a line through the center of the steering head.

Trail is determined by rake, offset,... right?
So the yellow lines then....
How much the tire's contact patch TRAILS the steering axis.

For negative trail, I think you would need a smaller rake angle and a bigger offset.

Ebrownie 08-16-2017 11:31 PM

Yep that's what I think. For there to be negative trail, would a line drawn through the steering pivot have to touch the ground behind the contact patch of the tire?

Bbqjoe 08-16-2017 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob58o (Post 478036)
Isn't trail the distance on the ground (road, street, surface, whatever...) between a vertical line through the center of the wheel and a line through the center of the steering head.

Trail is determined by rake, offset,... right?
So the yellow lines then....
How much the tire's contact patch TRAILS the steering axis.

I think I'm almost getting it now.:huh:

bob58o 08-16-2017 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Or if the forks kick out to the front. I think I've seen some minibike like this.

bob58o 08-16-2017 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebrownie (Post 478039)
Yep that's what I think. For there to be negative trail, would a line drawn through the steering pivot have to touch the ground behind the contact patch of the tire?

Yes

Bbqjoe 08-16-2017 11:47 PM

So, let me get this straight.
A negative trail gives you the death wobble?

bob58o 08-16-2017 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is less rake and more offset (how far the forks are offset from the head tube)

We Need FHB for this stuff.

bob58o 08-17-2017 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbqjoe (Post 478045)
So, let me get this straight.
A negative trail gives you the death wobble?

I believe more trail is better for keeping it straight. Less trail is better for turning. Negative Trail...? Probably Death.

I don't know. Here's wikipedia....

The more trail a traditional bike has, the more stable it feels,[41] although too much trail can make a bike feel difficult to steer. Bikes with negative trail (where the contact patch is in front of where the steering axis intersects the ground), while still rideable, are reported to feel very unstable. Normally, road racing bicycles have more trail than touring bikes but less than mountain bikes. Mountain bikes are designed with reduced head angles than road bikes to improve stability for descents, and therefore have greater trail. Touring bikes are built with small trail to allow the rider to control a bike weighed down with baggage. As a consequence, an unloaded touring bike can feel unstable. In bicycles, fork rake, often a curve in the fork blades forward of the steering axis, is used to diminish trail.[42] Bikes with negative trail exist, such as the Python Lowracer, and are rideable, and an experimental bike with negative trail has been shown to be self-stable.[1]

Bbqjoe 08-17-2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob58o (Post 478049)
I believe more trail is better for keeping it straight. Less trail is better for turning. Negative Trail...? Probably Death.

I don't know. Here's wikipedia....

The more trail a traditional bike has, the more stable it feels,[41] although too much trail can make a bike feel difficult to steer. Bikes with negative trail (where the contact patch is in front of where the steering axis intersects the ground), while still rideable, are reported to feel very unstable. Normally, road racing bicycles have more trail than touring bikes but less than mountain bikes. Mountain bikes are designed with reduced head angles than road bikes to improve stability for descents, and therefore have greater trail. Touring bikes are built with small trail to allow the rider to control a bike weighed down with baggage. As a consequence, an unloaded touring bike can feel unstable. In bicycles, fork rake, often a curve in the fork blades forward of the steering axis, is used to diminish trail.[42] Bikes with negative trail exist, such as the Python Lowracer, and are rideable, and an experimental bike with negative trail has been shown to be self-stable.[1]

yay!
That's about as clear as mud right now. :sifone: