DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Engines & Clutches (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Score!!? (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19603)

OzFab 11-04-2012 07:07 PM

Score!!?

7 Attachment(s)
Some time ago, I asked the question about a mini buggy build which, as I found out the other day, has since been scrapped so, I asked the guy if he wanted to sell the engine & he said "yeah, I've got others too if you want them".

Long story short, I came home with a chinese Marshin 150cc, 5 speed motorcycle engine for $50 & an industrial engine from a ground compactor for $20.

As you can see from the pics, the bike engine needs a bit of electrical work :worried2: (good thing my mate Pete is an electrical engineer :D) & the industrial needs a new carb (the bottom half is missing), tank (it has more rust than metal) & recoil (it's just missing). He has another industrial exactly the same I can also have for $30.

Once I checked the prices of parts locally, I started to have second thoughts, until I removed the tank & got the surprise of my life when I saw this

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...s/SDC10489.jpg

I've since found that by buying from the UK, I can get the necessary parts for a fraction of the price including shipping (I don't get it; shipping from UK, a few dollars. Shipping from US, twice the price of the item :huh:)

jman231994 11-04-2012 07:11 PM

Is that cement? haha. Great deal on them either way

OzFab 11-04-2012 07:12 PM

Umm, yes it is. Nothing a sandblaster won't fix :D

Pocketrocket 11-04-2012 07:15 PM

I wish i could find a good deal like that XD

jman231994 11-04-2012 07:17 PM

More like a gravel blaster...haha that one might take a while, should be a nice clean engine underneath though

Whats the plan for them?

carter 11-04-2012 09:17 PM

Might just be better off getting it all taken apart and take it to a machine shop to get acid dipped.

OzFab 11-05-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocketrocket (Post 241886)
I wish i could find a good deal like that XD

Hey, we Aussies are constantly seeing you guys stateside finding deals like this all the time, like $75 & $100 running karts; can we have just one? :roflol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman231994 (Post 241887)
More like a gravel blaster...haha that one might take a while, should be a nice clean engine underneath though

I'll start with a chisel & a wire brush to remove the bulk of it, then give it a quick blast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman231994 (Post 241887)
Whats the plan for them?

The honda will go on my AmEx (once I build it) & I now want to build a shifter :drool5: as soon as I find a cheap enough frame

Quote:

Originally Posted by carter (Post 241894)
Might just be better off getting it all taken apart and take it to a machine shop to get acid dipped.

Now where's the fun in that? :roflol:

fowler 11-05-2012 04:17 AM

ha nice find

but stuff that cleaning off the cement

maybe u just gotta start it up and run it hard till the engine cooks it off:roflol:

OzFab 11-05-2012 07:24 AM

You'll notice in pic 6 there's a small section I've already cleaned (about 2 square inches) which took a whole 10 seconds scraping with a screwdriver so it shouldn't be too difficult or time consuming with the right tools.

I've been thinking about this engine all day & I've decided to have another look at the other engine he has. He says it runs; it is in better condition (it has a recoil & the tank looks better but it's also covered in cement) so, if we can fire it up I'll grab it

I contacted Pete about the wiring on the Marshin & he said "no worries"; now I just need to catch him at home

Nodroz 11-05-2012 09:27 AM

That's a cool deal, congratulations!

I'll be following your builds very closely... can't wait!

OzFab 11-06-2012 07:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, I did it. I went & grabbed the other engine. I put a bit of fuel in it & kicked it over & it ran.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...GX140_xvid.jpg

Unfortunately, it wouldn't restart after that... until I put some oil in it :idea2: It was a bit smokey (proably a bit too much oil) but it ran fine.

Then I took the tank off &
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...s/SDC10498.jpg

:(

So, I transplanted the good parts needed to get the 160 running & it runs too :wai: :bannana: So,now I'll clean up the good parts & put together one running engine & .... I dunno, I'll do something with the leftovers...

Pic 1. The good carb
Pic 2. What's left of the other carb (that's how I got it :worried2:)
Pic 3. Look what I found when I removed the heat shield :roflol:

Nodroz 11-06-2012 09:03 AM

Unbelievble how engines are being run in these situations! He must have had a hard time there, lol. Luckily it's all in good hands know. They'll be taken care of. ;)

landuse 11-06-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabroman (Post 242133)
Pic 3. Look what I found when I removed the heat shield :roflol:

What is that under the heat shield? I cannot make it out...

carter 11-06-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landuse (Post 242275)

It looks like a leaf and a couple rocks.

fowler 11-07-2012 12:38 AM

wjhats wrong with the casting under the tank

did u think it was a 160?

u should see what is under the heat sheilds on our machines during harvest
they are usually crammed full of chaff

they are good if u are likely to go touching it otherwise they are dangerous fire hazard
we leave them off now

OzFab 11-07-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landuse (Post 242275)

A bunch of rocks. My question is how did rocks that big get into such a small space :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fowler (Post 242291)
wjhats wrong with the casting under the tank

did u think it was a 160?

Yeah :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by fowler (Post 242291)
u should see what is under the heat sheilds on our machines during harvest
they are usually crammed full of chaff

they are good if u are likely to go touching it otherwise they are dangerous fire hazard
we leave them off now

That I can understand, that stuff gets into everything; pockets, shoes, socks, ears, nose, eyes, etc :roflol:

OzFab 11-07-2012 02:13 AM

3 Attachment(s)
WOW! What a fun day I've had! Stripped down both engines to bare minimum: tanks off, housings off, carb, mufflers, coils, flywheels, clutches (erm, eventually).

With only a 4mm gap between the back of the clutch & the side cover, my puller wasn't gonna get it so, off to see my mate the local mechanic &, armed with a biga$$ puller, clutch #1 came off in one piece. Clutch #2 on the other hand... The drum came off & left the base behind with still only a 4mm gap. Shoot home, grab the circlip, throw it back together & try again.

After lots of grunting & even more "persuasion" it finally moved :wai: Then I thought "wait, this is perfect to demo my clutch puller so, headed home & made said video. :D

Then I started sandblasting with my you beaut, home made, makeshift sandblasting cabinet (as seen in pic 1). Pic 2 is a before shot & pic 3, 20 minutes & half a bucket of sand later...

Edit: I'm using a very coarse sand so it bites in pretty hard

landuse 11-07-2012 02:46 AM

Dang, that looks good. I like the innovative sand blasting "chamber" that you made there. It is amazing how clean it came

OzFab 11-07-2012 07:37 AM

Being cement I didn't think it would be too hard. Some bits are harder than others, I just hit them with a chisel first.

Until now, I've been blasting in the open, wearing a welding mask with only a clear lense but, it was getting messy; I'd spend as much time cleaning as I did blasting, not to mention OOOOOOUUUUUCHH, blow back!

It still requires some cleanup but nowhere near as much

Jonester 123 11-07-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabroman (Post 242335)
Being cement I didn't think it would be too hard. Some bits are harder than others, I just hit them with a chisel first.

Until now, I've been blasting in the open, wearing a welding mask with only a clear lense but, it was getting messy; I'd spend as much time cleaning as I did blasting, not to mention OOOOOOUUUUUCHH, blow back!

It still requires some cleanup but nowhere near as much

Great work man, will look almost brand new again when cleaned up.:thumbsup: