DIY Go Kart Forum

DIY Go Kart Forum (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself! (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Noob (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42016)

jmaack 09-08-2019 03:44 PM

Noob

Name is Justin, from Alabama. Cruising through Harbor freight the other day and found a Hemi Predator. We never have them here so i got it with a 99 dollar coupon. This was about 2 weeks ago. This got me started on hunting parts for a vintage build like i had when i was younger. Anyway cool site nice to use a virtual bulletin based forum again.

Planning on stage 2 for now with a mikuni carb. Just waiting to find the perfect single seater cart. Which i am looking for.

jmaack 09-08-2019 03:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple pics.

landuse 09-09-2019 01:43 AM

Nice! Welcome to the forum!

JTSpeedDemon 09-09-2019 07:51 AM

:welcome2:
In case you haven't already figured it out, Craigslist is the place to be for project karts!
I got mine for $60 off Craigslist, and it's the best transaction of my entire life!

jmaack 09-09-2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTSpeedDemon (Post 532362)
:welcome2:
In case you haven't already figured it out, Craigslist is the place to be for project karts!
I got mine for $60 off Craigslist, and it's the best transaction of my entire life!

yeah I've been checking daily. those that do find areragged and overpriced. same with letgo.

Hellion 09-10-2019 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaack (Post 532327)
Here are a couple pics.

Nice paint job and a welcome change of pace from the usual boring black. :thumbsup:

jmaack 09-10-2019 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellion (Post 532439)
Nice paint job and a welcome change of pace from the usual boring black. :thumbsup:

thanks. I'm wanting to go for a older look red frame with white engine. kinda like the old flatneads were

Hellion 09-10-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaack (Post 532442)
thanks. I'm wanting to go for a older look red frame with white engine. kinda like the old flatneads were

Exactly. Back when just about everything was a painted like a kitchen appliance. Evinrude outboards, Tecumseh and B&S engines, some engine makes that donít exist anymore...

Have you considered painting the block too? All that paint used to cost money, nowadays they only paint by necessity.

jmaack 09-10-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellion (Post 532484)
Exactly. Back when just about everything was a painted like a kitchen appliance. Evinrude outboards, Tecumseh and B&S engines, some engine makes that donít exist anymore...

Have you considered painting the block too? All that paint used to cost money, nowadays they only paint by necessity.

I have but I was going to wait as I hear it causes cooling issues. But I still may

Hellion 09-11-2019 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaack (Post 532489)
I have but I was going to wait as I hear it causes cooling issues. But I still may

I feel the same way, as in thinking that the paint acts like an insulator and impedes the heat transfer across the cooling fins....which is why I always mask off the cooling fins and just paint the lower block when I refurbish older motors.