PDA

View Full Version : PVC go kart, with fiberglass

pmwoodward3
02-02-2010, 05:39 PM
So i've had the idea to make a go kart for a while, but i never had the money or the time. But now i do. So my idea is to make a simple go kart frame from PVC then rap it in a couple of layers of fiberglass for extra strength. So today i got all the PVC parts and fiberglass i need, but now im stuck on what kind of engine to get. I don't have alot of money to spend on it, so im looking to find an engine. Im trying to make a fast go kart, probably in the 60v-72v range, maybe 40 mph. So what do you recommend for the engine? Ill post pics of the frame when i finish it.

t0x1k
02-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Whoa buddy....
Unless you weigh like 20 lbs and have carbon fiber skin and bones I wouldn't even think of PVC or any plastics for a go kart. Imagine how PVC breaks. It breaks into dagger like pieces, now imagine one lodge in your rear...Yeah, don't think so.

mike75925
02-02-2010, 05:49 PM
hope you have done your homework on a plastic frame. electric motors have a lot of torque. the 6.5hp motors will generally get you there. most of speed is gearing and weight. 2 strokes vibrate too much, so i would say 4 stroke. any idea of the karts weight? the frame with all running gear except motor and driver. wrapping pvc in fiberglass doesn't seem as strong as filling the pipe with fiberglass

Russ2251
02-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Did a quick search and found this:
http://rob_fed.tripod.com/PDF/pvckart.pdf

Doc Sprocket
02-02-2010, 05:58 PM
You, sir, are a braver man than I.

dpaxson
02-02-2010, 06:23 PM
wrapping pvc in fiberglass doesn't seem as strong as filling the pipe with fiberglass

actually wrapping it would be stronger for the same reason that larger thin walled tubing is stronger than smaller thick walled tubing. also filling it with expanding foam might add some strength too

mike75925
02-02-2010, 06:30 PM
wrapping it by crossing the grain of the glass would strengthen. rod flexes, tube not so much. sand the pipe with some 80 grit paper for good adhesion. and wipe down with acetone or something too. are the pipes going to be vacuum bagged?

pmwoodward3
02-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Update, i found a 120v electric engine in a shopvac, you think i can suscesfully run it at like 72v?

pmwoodward3
02-02-2010, 06:33 PM
You, sir, are a braver man than I.

:D thanks!

dpaxson
02-02-2010, 06:33 PM
it's probably AC so unless you get a big inverter, no

pmwoodward3
02-02-2010, 06:34 PM
wrapping it by crossing the grain of the glass would strengthen. rod flexes, tube not so much. sand the pipe with some 80 grit paper for good adhesion. and wipe down with acetone or something too. are the pipes going to be vacuum bagged?

vacuum bagged? vas is das?

Doc Sprocket
02-02-2010, 06:35 PM
I have heard that running an AC motor at a substantially lower voltage is detrimental to it's health. No idea if there's any truth to it...
Wait! 72v DC? thru an AC motor? Nope.

pmwoodward3
02-02-2010, 06:35 PM
it's probably AC so unless you get a big inverter, no

ok well what would you recommend for a cheap cheap fast engine? something i could find...mabye even...steal O.o

pmwoodward3
02-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Did a quick search and found this:
http://rob_fed.tripod.com/PDF/pvckart.pdf

ooooo i like, this is similar to what i had in mind, but i looks like if i do this ill have to run out and buy alot my PVC parts ! :D

pmwoodward3
02-02-2010, 06:39 PM
ohh and im using 2" PVC parts and tubing, incase anyone needs it for...anything lol

Doc Sprocket
02-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Is that the white stuff? ABS (the black stuff) I think is thicker.

pmwoodward3
02-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Is that the white stuff? ABS (the black stuff) I think is thicker.

its abs, but i really think with fiberglass and mabye some foam in critical areas this thing could really work...and i have no welding experience.

pmwoodward3
02-02-2010, 07:30 PM
any other ideas?

mike75925
02-02-2010, 08:29 PM
what schedule? i know of schedule 40, but i only dabble in plumbing. i think the higher the number the thicker.

pmwoodward3
02-02-2010, 08:40 PM
what schedule? i know of schedule 40, but i only dabble in plumbing. i think the higher the number the thicker.

to be honest is the schedule that is on the shelf at home depot, lol i didn't rly look more then that.

and i think im going to layer smaller pipes inside of the frame, and a small metal pipe on the very inside, like this

http://pvcbuggy.com/plans.html

http://pvcbuggy.com/sitebuilder/images/DSCF0737-315x238.jpg

http://pvcbuggy.com/sitebuilder/images/DSCF0736-255x184.jpg

pmichelsen
02-03-2010, 02:10 PM

You sir are correct, I would have gone for some schedule 80 myself and I would not want to ride at high speeds. If you are just putting around this will probably be fine.

r_chez_08
02-03-2010, 02:19 PM
looks like a good idea for a non- weld kart, but i hope the joints will hold up. i wouldnt wan them to shatter in a crash... also it maay be quite expensive.
i would look for a motor atleast 500w, 48v

ironman
02-03-2010, 05:47 PM
any updates on this .i am also in the process of trying this too.make sure you post up some more pictures i would like to see were you are at on this.There is a a pvc piping you can buy that has a metal wrapping .years ago some one posted up a pvc kart on here and it was made for small children which would be the idea....

pmwoodward3
02-03-2010, 09:15 PM
any updates on this .i am also in the process of trying this too.make sure you post up some more pictures i would like to see were you are at on this.There is a a pvc piping you can buy that has a metal wrapping .years ago some one posted up a pvc kart on here and it was made for small children which would be the idea....

well ill probably be putting the basic pvc frame together this weekend, im going to be useing a modified design like the one in the PDF on the first page of this thread. Ill probably be laying the fiberglass this weekend or next. The only problem is the engine and batteries. I dont really have the money to buy them now...to im going to have to get inventive and watch the free section of craigslist lol. I need 4 12v car batteries for my kart...might have to steal them from somewhere...or someone could get rly nice and send me some :D, i will be posting soon.

stephenm2682
02-04-2010, 01:39 PM
http://robertklee10.tripod.com/shock_pictures.htm

pmwoodward3
02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
http://robertklee10.tripod.com/shock_pictures.htm

oooo thanks, :) thats what i hope mine will look like, but alittle longer cus im pretty tall ;)

ironman
02-05-2010, 09:49 PM
thats the one i was talking about....

pmwoodward3
02-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Wow, we just got 4 feet of snow....look like im not getting my go kart frame assembled this weekend...BUT, i did find a family friend that is a mechanic that can probably find me a good starter motor and a couple car batteries.

pmwoodward3
02-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Well i just got a 36v 500w 2500rpm motor on ebay for like 34 bucks with shipping, so now ill i need is the controller and batteries and i need to figure out the brakes lol

bugatti_gokart
02-21-2010, 10:29 PM
For a little bit I too had considered using PVC as a source for a project. I stumbled across this large pedal kart built out of PVC (http://www.pvcplans.com/kartcross.htm) which at least proves that it's doable, though this clearly doesn't have an engine. I'd be curious to see how this all goes so please do share photos of your progress. Because PVC is readily available, cheap, and easy to work with in theory it would be great but I'd have to guess it would just give and flex too much but I may be totally wrong.

Good luck, and don't let anyone tell you can't do it. If anything let that push you all the more.

Blazkowiez
03-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Dude, you're super brave, I know this has been said before by others but mad props.

My only suggestion is to make sure you make a strong mount for your bellypan, without a bellypan (for example those karts in the kart building manual sold at northern have no pan) you can get seriously hurt. Broken legs are far worse than a slight cut due to shattered plastic.

Best of luck to you. Dont give up if this is really what you want to do.

“I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong” - Ben Franklin

skills2nv55
06-27-2012, 07:10 PM
If I was strapped for cash I would use a variable speed corded drill (12.00 to 18.00) and a tiny camper generator for the 110V needed (used 30.00). I have seen Karts run on the cordless 36V and they are fast and can burn rubber, a corded is 10X more powerful, Plus if the power goes down at your house or apartment you can use the camper generator to keep the fridge running. Some of these camper generators can run a whole day or two on one gallon of fuel! :cheers2:

check out & remember corded not cordless
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z8dFlVNrY8

*** Opportunity only favors the mind that is prepared! ***

Doc Sprocket
06-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Dunno where that came from, but-

* cordless drills like the 18v DeWalt XRP pictured, make a TON more torque than a standard corded drill.

* a decent corded drill will require a generator capable of delivering a peak power output of anywhere between 1400-1800 watts. A lot of the little "camping" generators can't deliver that kind of power. Nor are they likely to push a fridge compressor.

* nowhere around here are you going to find even a used genny for $30, not even stolen.

*IMHO- buy the time you factor in the cost of the drill and genny, the hassle of making it work for your application, the additional weight, and the fact that you're STILL buying gasoline...

...Go buy an engine.

On the other hand, you could use a $300.00 DeWalt...

dropit_low
07-11-2012, 01:19 AM
if you havent started yet, dont buy pvc! get abs plastic pipe instead! it doesnt shatter in splinters and is much stronger than pvc