PDA

View Full Version : Clone electric start

jarcynvicnchris93
12-23-2008, 04:18 AM
Has anyone on here converted their pull start clone engines to electric start?? and if so how???

jr dragster Tyler
12-23-2008, 09:53 AM
There's been some talk about this on 4cycle but no one has realy found a answer. But truely this is your answer. Honda does NOT make a kit to make your pull start GX200 clone a electric start.

oscaryu1
12-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Lol.

Clones are sold in electric start models, and there are "conversion" kits available if you have the starter mounting holes on the block...

The only downside is that you have to use the stock flywheel.

jr dragster Tyler
12-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Any proof of this Oscar? Where's the kit's? And plus its been awhile since I heard of the GX200 clone being sold with electric start.

Russ2251
12-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Electric start clone (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ELECTRIC-START-6-5-HP-6-5HP-GAS-ENGINE-GO-KART-EPA_W0QQitemZ120350191472QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item120350191472&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A2%7C 240%3A1318)

jarcynvicnchris93
12-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Any proof of this Oscar? Where's the kit's? And plus its been awhile since I heard of the GX200 clone being sold with electric start.

I got this Oscar, if you check with seller bounderdee on Ebay they do carry the kits. They told me today that the kit for my 8hp clone would be $143.. but Im thinking instead of doing that maybe selling my motor and buying a 16hp clone with electric start already installed. There is a 16hp on Ebay for less than $400... or for a little more I could buy a Briggs animal and have almost 35hp (at least Ive heard) but I think both of those are probably really overkill in an offroad kart. thoughts anyone???

jr dragster Tyler
12-23-2008, 09:09 PM
35 hp out of a animal? No way some of them only make 8 hp.

jarcynvicnchris93
12-23-2008, 09:39 PM
35 hp out of a animal? No way some of them only make 8 hp.

there are some modified animals out there that produce fairly close to this.. and yes in a way your right. They start out as 8hp motors, but to become an animal with all the factory mods really changes the makeup of the motor.:thumbsup:

jr dragster Tyler
12-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah but if it's sold as a animal people immediatly say "Ohh 8 hp ok" But yeah then you might as well just get a 6.5 clone and mod it all the way up. Why pay $400 for 8 hp to start with when you can pay $100 for 6.5. And if your looking at quality over price both Briggs animal and Clones have been known to blow apart equaly.

BradenM
12-24-2008, 02:23 AM
...but I think both of those are probably really overkill in an offroad kart. thoughts anyone???
No such thing as overkill, get a small block chevy on it.

jarcynvicnchris93
12-24-2008, 03:28 AM
Yeah but if it's sold as a animal people immediatly say "Ohh 8 hp ok" But yeah then you might as well just get a 6.5 clone and mod it all the way up. Why pay $400 for 8 hp to start with when you can pay $100 for 6.5. And if your looking at quality over price both Briggs animal and Clones have been known to blow apart equaly.

You know that actually makes a allot of sense... I actually have really enjoyed the 8hp Clone I have.. and if I can make it electrical start it would be awesome. With the Series 40 Comet it really gets my Kart moving. I just have to wonder about the 16hp... I can only imagine how much Torque I will have with it....and of course Speed.

trails
12-24-2008, 08:25 PM
roughly how fast would the following engines run(i would like to know as im thinkin of replacin my powrplant)
5hp
8hp and a
10hp.

Kenny_McCormic
12-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Speed is determined by gearing not HP, HP is how fast yo can get to desired speed, A 5hp and a 10hp making the same RPM with the same gearing and same weight kart would make the same top speed, the 10 would get there quicker and could be upreared to go faster with reasonable acceleration.

Kinda like comparing a geo metro to a mid size 4 banger 4 door(say for example, a 1992 Toyota Camry with a 2.2 liter I4), both will go 80+mph but the metro needs a few miles to get there whereas the camry could hit it just off the on ramp.

jarcynvicnchris93
12-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Speed is determined by gearing not HP, HP is how fast yo can get to desired speed, A 5hp and a 10hp making the same RPM with the same gearing and same weight kart would make the same top speed, the 10 would get there quicker and could be upreared to go faster with reasonable acceleration.

Kinda like comparing a geo metro to a mid size 4 banger 4 door(say for example, a 1992 Toyota Camry with a 2.2 liter I4), both will go 80+mph but the metro needs a few miles to get there.

for some reason I think I knew that at one time but had kinda of forgot how that worked. I think I may stay with my 8hp, since it is an offroad kart. The series 40 pretty much allows my kart to climb straight up... and I weigh close to 250. Im more interested in climbing and some speed... than I am in being super fast.

BradenM
12-29-2008, 12:39 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300283335012

Another electric start clone.

trails
12-29-2008, 01:16 AM
ilove climbing .. along with speed and huge jumps. if i can find a vid of me on the trails literally 2 mins away from me i will post it. but yea. i was on my dirtbike and i hit a jump that shot me up probably 7 foot....and i bailed in the air. landed on my hip and elbow...

jarcynvicnchris93
12-30-2008, 06:02 AM
well my buddy owns a small engine shop.. I told him about wanting to convert my motor to electric start and he imediately started digging in his parts books and looking on the computer. I showed him the kit I found on Ebay. Well finaly he just ordered the invidual parts needed. So hopefully in a week or so when I get time I will post pics and video of my motor with electric start installed.

jarcynvicnchris93
01-04-2009, 10:06 PM
there are some modified animals out there that produce fairly close to this.. and yes in a way your right. They start out as 8hp motors, but to become an animal with all the factory mods really changes the makeup of the motor.:thumbsup:

actually if you research the Animal and read about the use of Alcohol in the Animal you will understand the amazing Horsepower they can get out of these motors.

jarcynvicnchris93
01-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Well I completely abandoned this idea because in the last two days I bought another Kart with a Honda GX390 w/Electric Start. So I am going to sell my 8hp Clone and use the GX390 on my offroad kart.

jr dragster Tyler
01-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Alcohol doesnt add any power. Just run's cooler. And trust me for yard karting you dont want alcohol. You want it to heat up a bit.

jarcynvicnchris93
01-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Alcohol doesnt add any power. Just run's cooler. And trust me for yard karting you dont want alcohol. You want it to heat up a bit.

Im not saying it does or does not. But I have seen a Animal that would put out close to 40 horse. I also have seen a GX390 that would put out 35 horse. Well I may not understand how it works but I have seen the Dyno results of my friends engine. (an Animal he used to own) He owns one of the largest small engine shops here in Oklahoma so I tend to listen a little bit more to him than someone I do not know. and he's been doing this for many years not just a couple. Personally I do not want to run Alcohol in my Kart. However I do have a Jetski that will only run race gas because the Compression is so high. Of course it also uses pulse water injection in the exhaust. Sometimes you younguns crack me up with your constant trying to prove how much you know. Just be content with yourself and the knowlege you have. Have self confidence in yourself. and your experiences. Because we can all benifit from each others experience.

"A clever man will always tell you answers. He will tell you things you may not even care about. His purpose is to impress. To be more accurate, his purpose is like that of Narcissus. to see himself reflected in the reaction of your face. It may be arrogance, hubris, or insecurity that causes him to seek a reaction from you. You are the fulfillment of the need of a clever man. You are the audience that satisfies his need. A WISE man will not try to convince you of anything. A wise man's goal is to build himself, not to build you. He asks questions because he wants to learn more. He needs to learn more because he is aware of how little he knows about so many things. He is aware less of what he knows than of what he does not kinow yet."

At some point in all our lives we must decide if we want to be clever or be wise.

Russ2251
01-05-2009, 05:54 PM
:iagree:Well said.

jr dragster Tyler
01-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Last paragraph look's pretty close to the spam email's from patricia. If you knew me you'd be asking me more question's. Good luck getting help from me anymore! Or maybe I can just take my business somwhere else to another forum where I'll be more appreciated!!!

Russ2251
01-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Who in the **** is Patricia???:confused::confused::confused:

jr dragster Tyler
01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Maybe you should look in the "site announcement's and suggestion box jeez.

jarcynvicnchris93
01-05-2009, 10:27 PM
come on Tyler don't get pissed. I didn't say anything that is not true other than about the Animal. Cuz I could def. be wrong, or maybe my friend is wrong. I really do not care either way. And believe me I am the first to admit I know very little about small engines and many many other things. (and I have been around for a while and even travelled the world and have experienced many things) No one wants you to leave and go to another forum ok. I have complimented you several times on your great advice. You just remind me of many of the young troops that I had working for me in the military and maybe a lot of myself in my younger days. I had a very hard time accepting any criticism. And I was always trying to prove how much I knew. Dont take it the wrong way. Cause believe me we can all learn from each other. Just maybe dont worry so much about proving everyone wrong in their posts. and if your still pissed and refuse to offer advice then so be it, I will still have a blast building my kart and my kids kart.

JerryAssburger
01-05-2009, 11:05 PM
That's a pretty dang cool quote!
I guess in the choice between Clever or Wise, I fall under Annoying.

Here's one I just thought up (or heard somewhere?!?)

"All puzzle pieces are shaped differently from each other- yet they all fit together and the picture isn't complete without every single one of them."

jarcynvicnchris93
01-05-2009, 11:22 PM
That's a pretty dang cool quote!
I guess in the choice between Clever or Wise, I fall under Annoying.

Here's one I just thought up (or heard somewhere?!?)

"All puzzle pieces are shaped differently from each other- yet they all fit together and the picture isn't complete without every single one of them."

now thats good man. I can kinda be annoying myself sometimes. and sometimes I even piss people off. But I can always admit Im a pain in the @$$. and still have a great time.

BradenM
01-06-2009, 03:04 AM
I think you took that far too harshly tyler. We all appreciate you and the knowledge you bring to the forum. In life, you have to find a balance between teaching and learning, and we have to recognize when someone else is better equipped to do the teaching, or to pass on knowledge. I certainly don't think it was an attack on you personally.

My 2c.

"Some day's we are the flies, some days we are the windscreens".

jarcynvicnchris93
01-07-2009, 12:26 AM
well, sorry guys that did not go as intended. I suppose I was much too hard on Tyler. I really did not mean to chase him off. I suppose he was not ready for that kind of suggestion or advice at this point in his life. :oops: Tyler if your still lurking around, come on back man and be a bigger man and just laugh this off.

supermanotorious
08-18-2011, 01:54 PM
i know this is an old thread but here they are http://www.nr-racing.com/stockparts.htm (go about 1/3 down page to Aftermarket Electric Start Kit for GX160s and 200s (Fits Chinese 6.5 OHV and Hondas). No hardware or instructions)

CaptCanadia
08-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Don't you need a special flywheel for electric start?

Doc Sprocket
08-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Yes- and is included in the kit.

CaptCanadia
08-18-2011, 04:17 PM
that flywheel must suck..

Doc Sprocket
08-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Why is that?

CaptCanadia
08-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Because everything in the kit only comes to 150. That seems really cheap. If you get a really nice flywheel made for electric start it will cost more then that kit alone.

Doc Sprocket
08-18-2011, 04:24 PM
It's just an OEM-style cast piece.

"Kits" often are cheaper than the total of individual parts pieces.

CaptCanadia
08-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Hm I'll have to rem that if I ever decide to go electric start.

South Kart3377
08-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Check this out https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=28-1697-E&catname=engines clone with factory estart not kit stock!!!! hehe.

skart

osso12
08-30-2011, 10:10 PM
My yellow clone with the electric start kit will be here between now and saturday from NR racing.
It will be going on my Yamaha build. Wish me luck on this as I kinda of dread doing the work as the motor was bought as "ready to go kart" so I wil have to undue anything already put together. I also asked NR if they would do this for me prior to shipping but they wont. Also if you will notice that in the kit it states it is shipped with no instructions.
Great right?

Doc Sprocket
08-31-2011, 04:31 PM
What is it you need to undo? What instructions will you need- torque values and diagrams for the Honda GX200 should be fairly appropriate, I should think.

osso12
08-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Piece of mind.....:D

Doc Sprocket
09-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Piece of cake.
Peace of mind.

Okay, kidding aside- are you concerned that it may not have been assembled correctly? By whom- ARC or the engine mfgr?

osso12
09-01-2011, 10:08 PM
no not really...Anytime I take anything out of a box whether or not I refer to them or not, always like to have instructions if all else fail.....