PDA

View Full Version : It's REEEEALLY Annoying When...

Fabroman
07-25-2013, 02:21 AM
Prompted by a situation that occurred today, I thought I'd start a new thread where you guys (& girls) can tell us what makes you jump up & down in frustration.

We've all seen T-Man's "rules of the shop", this doesn't have to be limited to the shop; it could be something about work, driving or life in general.

Simply finish the sentence in the title...

I'll go first:

... you're welding away, on the final weld of the job & you run out of welding wire :censored::mad2:

fowler
07-25-2013, 03:48 AM
a dropped bolt bounces a factor of 5x the distance it fell

oil runs down the outside on the catch tube

never rush an urgent job because the whole plan will change in 15 mins

someone says "easy job ill have it running in an hour"
then the sh** hits the fan and 6 hours later u are back at square one and start over

Doc Sprocket
07-25-2013, 04:28 AM
... you've just put a final coat of paint on the part, and an insect lands on it. Or you fumble it and it hits the ground.

oldbikerarlo
07-25-2013, 02:49 PM
A small object dropped will roll to very center and back to the wall under the work bench, and will be 1/2 inch out of reach. It will be the only one you have and the project will not work without it.

machinist@large
07-25-2013, 05:43 PM
...when the boss hands you 32 parts that need to be finished to a +.0000/-.0005 tolerance using a machine and process that you know nothing about, saying "It's easy; just go figure it out.". The parts are due on wednesday.

:surrender::censored::censored::ack2:

Doc Sprocket
07-25-2013, 06:06 PM
...when the boss hands you 32 parts that need to be finished to a +.0000/-.0005 tolerance using a machine and process that you know nothing about, saying "It's easy; just go figure it out.". The parts are due on wednesday.

:surrender::censored::censored::ack2:

No pressure. No problem... LOL

Fabroman
07-25-2013, 06:06 PM
That's the spirit; I can relate to pretty much all of that too :lolgoku:

...The kids tennis ball goes under the car & stops right in the centre, being out of reach from either side. Now you have to find the nearest "reaching impliment" to get it out &, mysteriously, there's nothing around...

Doc Sprocket
07-25-2013, 06:13 PM
That's 'cuz you're not in Canada. We all have hockey sticks for that.

EDIT- Really annoying when you're waiting for a seller to get back to you, so you can score some cool rolling stock for your go kart project, and the guy's slower than a glacial melt! AAARRRGGGHHH

Fabroman
07-25-2013, 06:28 PM
We have cricket bats, cricket stumps, rakes, etc but, there's never one to be found when you need it... (Murphy's law)

ML-TOYS
07-25-2013, 06:37 PM
You walk into a room and just stand there looking around and thinking to yourself
"What did i come in here for"

Fabroman
07-25-2013, 06:51 PM
:funnypost: :roflol: I've been in that room too many times

Doc Sprocket
07-25-2013, 06:57 PM
We have cricket bats, cricket stumps, rakes, etc but, there's never one to be found when you need it... (Murphy's law)

Hmm- therein lies the problem. You see, the kids play hockey in the driveway, and store their sticks by the door. So- when a ball rolls under the car, either the sticks are already in hand, or only 12 feet away. On the other hand, playing cricket in the driveway just isn't gonna work out well! :smiley_omg:

...Still waiting for that guy to get back to me... :censored:

Fabroman
07-25-2013, 07:03 PM
I sent a message to a seller the other day negotiating price, 24 hours later, nothing. I hit the "buy it now" button & sent him another message, he was back to me in 5 minutes...

Doc Sprocket
07-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Go figure... I've been trying to communicate with this guy for nearly a week (online classified ad) I basically have to keep pestering him. Ticks me off. Here's the stupid part-

HE responded to MY wanted ad! You wanna sell this crap, or what?!?!

Fabroman
07-25-2013, 07:14 PM
:huh: :lolgoku:

Doc Sprocket
07-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Yeah. Exactly. As you probably saw in my restomod thread (veering further off-topic), my rears are fried. Instead of simple replacements, I dreamed up a nicer solution and put out a want ad. He responded, and now I'm chasing HIM. Go figure.

So, I got a freshly painted chassis and engine, that's indefinitely stuck on the sawhorses.

machinist@large
07-25-2013, 07:23 PM
No pressure. No problem... LOL

I forgot to mention, it's actually 2 batches of 16 parts; the only thing they have in common is they are both 4140 Cr (chrome moly) and they have only ONE feature in common; a 1.6250 +.0000/-.0005 hole in the center. Each different batch has 2 additional holes with the same size tolerance, but of unique sizes. Oh, and all holes have to have a 16 Ra finish.

Murphy was the God Father of the insurance industry; "Everything is going to fail!!! Buy your policy now!!!

You walk into a room and just stand there looking around and thinking to yourself
"What did i come in here for"

WHO ARE YOU, AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY HEAD!!!!!

(Is he within the range of my shotgun? Do I have to try and hunt him down????????? Is this all the amunition I have?!?!?!!!!)

Doc Sprocket
07-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Murphy was the God Father of the insurance industry; "Everything is going to fail!!! Buy your policy now!!!
...And keep Chris employed! How ironic- I thrive on your misfortune... :lolgoku:

Fabroman
07-25-2013, 08:23 PM
That's the same with the panel beating industry; if not for the insurance industry, we'd have nothing to do but, without them we'd get paid a lot more

Anyhoo, :backtotopic:

Poboy kartman
07-25-2013, 09:13 PM
How about this one? You have some piece of crap you've been holding on to for decades. You finally decide, enough is enough, I'm never going to use this, so you throw it away. The next day you need one.

devino246
07-25-2013, 09:17 PM
How about this one? You have some piece of crap you've been holding on to for decades. You finally decide, enough is enough, I'm never going to use this, so you throw it away. The next day you need one.

That's why I never throw anything with a potential use away :lolgoku:

itsid
07-25-2013, 09:28 PM
.. the moment you think about using your torque wrench for that you hear a cracking noise.

'sid

carter
07-26-2013, 12:45 AM
Breaking off 3 different bolts in the same hole trying to put on a timing chain cover, and then learning that "click" inch pound wrenches are utterly useless.

Seeing something you want on sale for an incredible deal, but you're still saving and you don't have the money for it.

When people come to you for advice on something they know nothing about, and then tell you your advice is wrong

When you buy a $500 futon and the frame bends and it is sold with no warranty

When your upper intake manifold is made of plastic and cracks when you try to bring it up to torque spec.

When you stub your middle toes on an opoen door.

When it's so hot that the window AC unit can't cool a 10x20 room

When you've got a long night of work and you're out of soda

When your engine leaks oil and you haven't the slightest clue where it's coming from

When you don't replace one part and it shatters and destroys all of your work

When you hit your head on the hood while working on a car

When you don't have enough outlet space for all of your gadgets

The list goes on, I've got a million of these things.

Fabroman
07-26-2013, 01:55 AM
The list goes on, I've got a million of these things.

So do I, I was starting slow... :lolgoku:

Dude, you need to stress less :surrender:

J_Walker
07-26-2013, 04:07 AM
When you're out camping, and between the frogs and cicadas. It's like trying to sleep under a highway.

When you have a massive fish on the line, and you're only running 10LB line...

When a hot girl flirts with you, but has a boyfriend.

When you let someone else "borrow" your gokart, they always seem to break the spindles.

When you see kids ride around in the street on bicycles without helmets [I'm talking 6-13 yeards old]

When you're pulled over on the side of the road trying to help an hit dog, and a cop stops and asks if that's your dog, and you promptly say no. And the cop drives away like nothing just happened...

When a cop pulls you over for missing rear view mirrors.... [on a motorcycle]

Doc Sprocket
07-26-2013, 04:25 AM
That's why I never throw anything with a potential use away :lolgoku:

Which is precisely why I have waaaaay too much crap, and absolutely fear having to move at any point!

exenos
07-26-2013, 02:28 PM
When you drive 2 hours to buy something and get told "Ya, it just sold 5 minutes ago"

devino246
07-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Which is precisely why I have waaaaay too much crap, and absolutely fear having to move at any point!

Just did that last spring. It was horrible, and it was only 2/3's of my stuff. :surrender:

Poboy kartman
07-26-2013, 10:31 PM
I think you guys might have missunderstood me, I was talking about the Ex.:oops::lolgoku:

devino246
07-26-2013, 11:19 PM
I think you guys might have missunderstood me, I was talking about the Ex.:oops::lolgoku:

In that case, I don't have that problem :cornut:

Poboy kartman
07-27-2013, 12:58 AM
In that case, I don't have that problem :cornut:
Please clarify sir.There are just way too many ways to interpret that response.
Do you mean you don't have an ex?
Do you mean you don't need a replacement?
Do you mean you have an ex and have a replacement?
Do you mean you have so many women you don't know what to do with them all?
Are you gay?
Are you institutionalized?
I mean, I could go on, but I hear the people in the cheap seats hollering "ENOUGH ALREADY! "

devino246
07-27-2013, 07:01 AM
No ex for me. I get to use all my spending money on ammo and car parts :D

Doc Sprocket
07-27-2013, 11:19 AM

You might be a redneck. ;)

exenos
07-27-2013, 03:23 PM
"Might"? I think "Must" is more correct :D

machinist@large
07-27-2013, 03:48 PM
OK; for the record, and to keep from getting flamed to :censored::surrender:, I just had to link these quotes; I apologise in advance if anyone has no sense of humor....

:lolgoku::funnypost:

:censored::stir: Why, oh why do you dis on me when all you have to do is look at his public profile? Official DIYGK Chem Nerd. You rag on me about rednek N:censored:? I have nothing on this guy.

:toetap05: OK; for the record, what particular rock do you live under? There is no "Must", "Must Be", here; and how do I know? Because I ARE ONE TWO!!!:roflol::cheers2::thumbsup::popcorn:

devino246
07-27-2013, 04:41 PM

Hey, now! Redneck, no. Country, maybe. More correctly, I think, city boy turned country. My Saturday morning a couple weeks ago consisted of feeding cows into a cattle crush, tagging and vaccinating them, and steering the male calves, if that sways it more toward country. I've also never lived in a trailer, nor do I prefer Bud Light (mediocre, at best. only if it's free). Lastly, I don't have much of an accent.

:censored::stir: Why, oh why do you dis on me when all you have to do is look at his public profile? Official DIYGK Chem Nerd. You rag on me about rednek N:censored:? I have nothing on this guy.

Where does chem nerd tie into redneck? Last I checked, I don't run a meth lab, and I'm 99.999% sure that most household meth producers couldn't name more than 5 elements off the periodic table.

Doc Sprocket
07-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Lastly, I don't have much of an accent.

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!:roflol:

Where does chem nerd tie into redneck? Last I checked, I don't run a meth lab, and I'm 99.999% sure that most household meth producers couldn't name more than 5 elements off the periodic table.

Meth lab? Nah. Shine. Being a meth lab operator doesn't make you a redneck. It makes you an idiotstick-pull-up-your-frickin'-pants-before-I-rip-that-stupid-frickin'-ring-outta-yer-eyebrow-get-a-dammed-job-you-stupid-pile-of-:censored:-needs-a-frickin'-automatic-weapon-because-you-can't-hit-s:censored:t-holdin'-a-gun-over-yer-head-and-frickin'-sideways-moron!

Periodic table? To a redneck, that's a big ol' wooden cable spool. It periodically serves as a table.

devino246
07-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Meth lab? Nah. Shine.

Nooo, Franklin County is two counties over :lolgoku:

machinist@large
07-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Hey, now! Redneck, no. Country, maybe. More correctly, I think, city boy turned country. My Saturday morning a couple weeks ago consisted of feeding cows into a cattle crush, tagging and vaccinating them, and steering the male calves, if that sways it more toward country. I've also never lived in a trailer, nor do I prefer Bud Light (mediocre, at best. only if it's free). Lastly, I don't have much of an accent.

D, I again apologize; the only reason I dragged your name into this was because a couple of months ago TS and I ragged on each other in one of his threads, and my response ended with some thing along the lines of "Where did I put that recipe; 1 part.... , and he ragged on me about keeping that re:censored: n:censored: to myself, and then defended himself in good humor. But he dissed on me about my "supposed red nek chem knowledge: which I probably don't have..

As for what might have prompted the "You Might..." response, any one who (PROUDLY!!!!) will hang their hat out there, saying "No ex for me: I get to use all my spending money on ammo and car parts...."

Like I said at the beginning of my post, I apologize in advance to people that had no sense of humor; I have never claimed you were into anything questionable, it's just that you actually know what you are talking about, and the rest of us know it.

This is why I apologised in advance; if you're pressed for time, you might miss something....:surrender::surrender:

devino246
07-27-2013, 06:04 PM
As for what might have prompted the "You Might..." response, any one who (PROUDLY!!!!) will hang their hat out there, saying "No ex for me: I get to use all my spending money on ammo and car parts...."

:roflol: :o

Like I said at the beginning of my post, I apologize in advance to people that had no sense of humor; I have never claimed you were into anything questionable, it's just that you actually know what you are talking about, and the rest of us know it.

This is why I apologised in advance; if you're pressed for time, you might miss something....:surrender::surrender:

Oh no, no offense taken! It's all in good fun. I was laughing the whole time I typed my reply.

Fabroman
07-27-2013, 06:46 PM
... you start a thread to discover little things about fellow members & the conversation goes waaaay south of the original post :roflol:

Doc Sprocket
07-27-2013, 06:54 PM
...you find people that actually expect an "Off-Topic" post to stay ON topic...:lolgoku:

Just ridin' ya bro- nothing but love... :cornut:

Poboy kartman
07-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Having an ex doesn't mean you can't spend all your money on ammo and car parts, you just have to use a little of that ammo first, then you're good to go. :wai:

devino246
07-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Having an ex doesn't mean you can't spend all your money on ammo and car parts, you just have to use a little of that ammo first, then you're good to go. :wai:

Those were two independent clauses; the latter only partially dependent on the former. :surrender:

ML-TOYS
07-28-2013, 06:20 AM
... you start a thread to discover little things about fellow members & the conversation goes waaaay south of the original post :roflol:

Wow i was thinkin the same thing........ So back to
(Insert topic title here) when a topic goes off topic
:backtotopic:

Doc Sprocket
07-28-2013, 07:48 AM
...You and your son spend the better part of the day repowering his kart, and then when you grab the camcorder to film the green blur, the danged battery's dead!

Fabroman
07-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Oh, always: & it doesn't matter what appliance, if it runs on batteries, they'll be dead the second you need it... :lolgoku:

Fabroman
07-28-2013, 06:41 PM
... you've just put a final coat of paint on the part, and an insect lands on it. Or you fumble it and it hits the ground.

How did I know this (http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showpost.php?p=281166&postcount=8) would happen the very next time I got a spray gun out...:toetap05:

fowler
07-28-2013, 07:42 PM
When everyone is trying to have a chilled Monday to recover
And some bastard cranks up the arc air in the middle of the workshop

J_Walker
07-28-2013, 09:10 PM
When you spend two hours at the range. and the only way to get your rifle to stop firing is by removing the magazine.

machinist@large
07-29-2013, 04:37 PM
When everyone is trying to have a chilled Monday to recover
And some bastard cranks up the arc air in the middle of the workshop

:ack2::surrender:

Try being the poor bastard that was ordered to fire it up......:surrender::surrender::oops:

gran_pann
07-29-2013, 07:25 PM
...When your wife loves a home that is overpriced, then you haggle to get it down while trying not to offend the sellers.....

....when you pay $850 to find out it has foundation issues, termites, a plumbing leak, mold in two walls, a roof leak, and potential HVAC issues because the HVAC unit is 10 years older than its maximum life expectancy...which could jeopardize the health of your entire family when you turn on the heat this fall.....none of which were in the sellers disclosure.... Then you realize that wasn't annoying....

...The annoying part is when you have to convince your wife and realtor that your not being selfish or even SLIGHTLY UNREASONABLE to ask for all of it to be repaired or have a full reduction of expected time and materials in the asking price before closing..... then they both gang up on you and try to make you ask for only the necessary and non-piddly things KNOWING FULL WELL THAT THE SELLERS WILL TRY TO NEGOTIATE WHAT THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE ME CONCEDE TO BEFORE WE SUBMIT ANYTHING TO NEGOTIATE! ****! nobody is on my side today!

PS. Sorry guys, the kart I have in the competition is not going to be restored anytime soon as you can see, that is actually the part that is the most annoying!

itsid
07-29-2013, 07:35 PM
nobody is on my side today!

We are! :thumbsup:

Fabroman
07-29-2013, 08:10 PM
...When your wife loves a home that is overpriced, then you haggle to get it down while trying not to offend the sellers.....

....when you pay $850 to find out it has foundation issues, termites, a plumbing leak, mold in two walls, a roof leak, and potential HVAC issues because the HVAC unit is 10 years older than its maximum life expectancy...which could jeopardize the health of your entire family when you turn on the heat this fall.....none of which were in the sellers disclosure.... Then you realize that wasn't annoying....

...The annoying part is when you have to convince your wife and realtor that your not being selfish or even SLIGHTLY UNREASONABLE to ask for all of it to be repaired or have a full reduction of expected time and materials in the asking price before closing..... then they both gang up on you and try to make you ask for only the necessary and non-piddly things KNOWING FULL WELL THAT THE SELLERS WILL TRY TO NEGOTIATE WHAT THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE ME CONCEDE TO BEFORE WE SUBMIT ANYTHING TO NEGOTIATE! ****! nobody is on my side today!

PS. Sorry guys, the kart I have in the competition is not going to be restored anytime soon as you can see, that is actually the part that is the most annoying!

House troubles, house purchase troubles, wife against you plus you can't finish a kart build... you win :lolgoku:

xXPhasemanXx
07-29-2013, 08:16 PM
That's 'cuz you're not in Really annoying when you're waiting for a seller to get back to you, so you can score some cool rolling stock for your go kart project, and the guy's slower than a glacial melt! AAARRRGGGHHH

This is me right now :2guns:

xXPhasemanXx
07-30-2013, 12:38 PM
When a seller doesn't delete an ad that sold weeks ago :mad2:

gran_pann
07-30-2013, 10:01 PM
House troubles, house purchase troubles, wife against you plus you can't finish a kart build... you win :lolgoku:

I still am having a hard time deciding which one is more annoying, the house or the kart not being finished. Now that I read my post again, it sounds like a pity party. I didn't mean it that way. It feels good to vent though.

carter
08-01-2013, 12:28 AM
When you buy a $300 cam and then realize you need to spend another $250 on heads and $60 on a vale guide grinding tool.

fowler
08-01-2013, 06:10 AM
When u just want to go on your favourite forum and waste some time at work

But the site has crashed

souperman000
08-01-2013, 04:06 PM
People complaining about things that can't be changed.

J_Walker
08-01-2013, 04:31 PM
When you buy a $300 cam and then realize you need to spend another $250 on heads and $60 on a vale guide grinding tool.

Good luck if its the handheld ones......... :cornut:

EDIT:

When you go out to eat, and you ask the person taking the order if there's mayonnaise on what your ordering, and they can't tell you. Pull the manager over and ask them, they say no. So you order it. bite into said Non-mayonnaise burger, and find out they put mayonnaise on it... Lips start to peel and burn a little - stomach starts boiling.. I'm allergic to eggs and soy...

Tell manager this. The same one who told me there wasn't any mayonnaise. And he acts like "WELL I DIDN'T MAKE YOUR BURGER HOW WAS I SUPPOSE TO KNOW!?" Trying not to give anyone a hard time, I ask if I still have to pay for it being it was all wrong and now I'm going to have to suffer the next four hours with this allergic reaction [not deadly but its like having the stomach flu and heartburn all at the same time.] And he's all like "OF COURSE YOU GOTTA PAY FOR IT!" So I handed over the cash, No one got a god **** tip, and I called in HIS higher up. Found out a week later. [two days ago] he was fired for that incident. Because "It could of had been worse." Because I didn't physically "Die" It wasn't that bad?! That place is full of a bunch of monkeys.

itsid
08-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Oh, next time you are asked to pay for such food tell 'em this:
choose from one:
I do NOT need to pay, stand right up and go to the hospital to get an antihistamine injection.
OR
I need to pay for it and sit here waiting for the ambulance to pick me up... and then I sue your a55
should do the trick ;)

'sid

Doc Sprocket
08-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Naw- That's bull. I would NOT have paid for it. The manager may NOT have the entire menu committed to memory, but if there was any doubt, it was his responsibility to excuse himself and go ask the kitchen staff.

Russ2251
08-01-2013, 07:34 PM
...When you realize you have to live on the same planet as your step mother does.

carter
08-02-2013, 03:47 AM
When you put a new pressure regulator in an EFI fuel spider, and you have a leak, so you tear off the upper intake and prime the line to do a leak test, and fuel SPRAYS in all directions from around the regulator.

Fabroman
08-02-2013, 09:46 AM
People complaining about things that can't be changed.

Really? Dude, play along or move along :toetap05:

souperman000
08-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Really? Dude, play along or move along :toetap05:

Oh wow reading that now sounds really bad. :eek:

I meant it as my complaint and no disrespect to this thread. I was just the leader on a backpacking trip with people complaining. I've enjoyed this thread so far and think its actually very funny.

:cheers2:

J_Walker
08-02-2013, 12:59 PM
My point being - having most of my family work in food service, is MOST servers and managers of food joints have to take a menu test before being officially hired, so that's also why I assumed when he said "NO" that it was the truth, and the server was a new guy.. but nope. My mistake.

You live an learn, Like I said, none of my allergy's are deadly. I just have a lot of them, that affect me in funny ways.

On another note..

When you order a part online, by the part number. When you get the part, it doesn't match the part you have to replace, but has the same part number...

When you need a part for your vehicle. R/R [hehe yeah still dealing with this.] And technology that's still being used since the 60's cost you 80 bucks.. Or you dish out $130 for the MOSFET type. a more modern up-to-date style R/R. Considering my R/R has been replaced once by the P/O. I'm just gonna go with the fuse style R/R in hopes it'll blow the fuse before it damages the R/R. Or maybe the breaker version is better? Hmmm.. Still debating.

carter
08-02-2013, 06:10 PM
R/R? What is this RR device?

When you discover that the people who designed the EFI for your vehicle half-assed it.

J_Walker
08-02-2013, 06:47 PM
R/R? What is this RR device?

Rectifier/Regulator

When you discover that the people who designed the EFI for your vehicle half-assed it.

Yup, sounds bout right... Engineering - Taking corners where ever your boss tells ya'.

carter
08-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Rectifier/Regulator
You mean that inline fuel pressure regulator that goes in the line right before it enters the carb?

Yup, sounds bout right... Engineering - Taking corners where ever your boss tells ya'.
Luckily it turns out The fuel spider on my last engine was the electronic type instead of the poppet style. I'm checking to see it holds fuel now, I'm hoping that it works out because it's much less prone to clogging and whatnot. Then all I need is my new set of springs/retainers/locks to come in so my heads will be ready for the new BAMF cam.

Doc Sprocket
08-03-2013, 05:21 AM
You mean that inline fuel pressure regulator that goes in the line right before it enters the carb?

No- A regulator/rectifier is an electrical device that turns the alternator's AC current output into DC for your vehicle's electrical system, and then controls the power output so that voltage and current are within range.

Really annoying when you're waiting for a seller to get back to you, so you can score some cool rolling stock for your go kart project, and the guy's slower than a glacial melt! AAARRRGGGHHH

I'm STILL waiting for this idiot!!! Now THAT is beyond annoying. I could scream! Seriously. I put out a want ad. HE contacted ME. Now I'M chasing HIM to buy this stuff... Seriously?!?! :censored::censored::censored:

A small object dropped will roll to very center and back to the wall under the work bench, and will be 1/2 inch out of reach. It will be the only one you have and the project will not work without it.

Had a variation on this the other night. Kitchen faucet was leaking pretty badly, so I whipped it out and swapped in a good spare I had lying around. When I was about to connect the flexible hose for the pullout, I blew into it to get some debris off the sealing surface. Stupid bloody small nylon part absolutely FLEW away, and never did find it. Specialty part, of course. After an hour or so of searching (to no avail) I ended up testing a few combinations of O-rings until I managed to get it to work. Still haven't found the dang part...

carter
08-03-2013, 05:44 AM
No- A regulator/rectifier is an electrical device that turns the alternator's AC current output into DC for your vehicle's electrical system, and then controls the power output so that voltage and current are within range.

See, I don't know a thing about the electronic side of things, I can rebuild an engine without a hitch, have it all within spec and clean and perfectly running, as far as the electric side of things go, I know how to crimp wires together, thats about it.

J_Walker
08-03-2013, 08:30 AM
See, I don't know a thing about the electronic side of things, I can rebuild an engine without a hitch, have it all within spec and clean and perfectly running, as far as the electric side of things go, I know how to crimp wires together, thats about it.

It's okay, I'm "forced" to learn this electronic snazz. Because I refuse to take anything to any "shop" any more.. Tired of getting ripped off!

When it comes to it, when I crack into the top end of my engine finally, for a re-shimming. and possibly new valves/pistons-rods. [shorter stroke? :D] I'll end up having to pay someone to do it, because I don't got the tools.. but as far as everything else. I'll do it.

Only other thing I do not do on my bike is tire changes/soon to be sprocket changes.. again, don't got the tools to do it. not yet of course, in a few more years maybe when I've acquired a larger selection.

carter
08-03-2013, 02:49 PM
It's okay, I'm "forced" to learn this electronic snazz. Because I refuse to take anything to any "shop" any more.. Tired of getting ripped off!

When it comes to it, when I crack into the top end of my engine finally, for a re-shimming. and possibly new valves/pistons-rods. [shorter stroke? :D] I'll end up having to pay someone to do it, because I don't got the tools.. but as far as everything else. I'll do it.

Only other thing I do not do on my bike is tire changes/soon to be sprocket changes.. again, don't got the tools to do it. not yet of course, in a few more years maybe when I've acquired a larger selection.

You've gotta learn to make do with what you have mate, I have an adjustable wrench that I ground 1/64 off of material form both sides, and now I have an adjustable wrench that has about a 1/32 gap in it that is also handy for removing a clutch driven fan.

J_Walker
08-03-2013, 06:20 PM
You've gotta learn to make do with what you have mate, I have an adjustable wrench that I ground 1/64 off of material form both sides, and now I have an adjustable wrench that has about a 1/32 gap in it that is also handy for removing a clutch driven fan.

Well, I still need to acquire a major tool - 1/2 - 1/4 torque wrench.. So I can stop "borrowing" them from everyone I know. :oops:

I think when I get them, I wouldn't mind wrenching on the sprockets/tires as much. as I know I got the proper torque on there and not worrying if somethings rattling lose, speaking of that, I need to get more blue loctite soon!

Speaking of loctite, I'm wondering, those who use it... Do you prefer the stick, or the bottle? I find, depending how old the stick is. [sitting on the shelf] It can be rather hard to apply to the threads. While the bottle can get kind of messy sometimes, but it seems to be most constant.

And to get back on thread....

When exhaust manifold clamps, The bolts that tighten them down, are made out of what seems like iron, and heat/rust just eat them away until you go to take them off and they turn to dust. Or for some reason the "stainless" steel ones sometimes get like butter soft after so long being on exposed to all that heat.

fowler
08-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Go the bottle
I don't know how the bottle gets messy

U know u only need a single drop on small bolts
If u get a torque wrench then go for a 3/8 one
It covers a wide range of bolts U would come across on bikes and cars

newrider3
08-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Harbor Freight torque wrenches are actually better than you might think, and insanely cheap for a precision tool. I had the Snap-On truck guy test my 1/4" and 1/2" drive units and they were within the specs that Snap-On states for their (rather expensive) torque wrenches.

fowler
08-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Snap in torque wrenchs are way over priced
Cat sell the same product for a lot less

And the snap on torque wrench is just a rebranded Presision Instrument one

And they sell for 1/2 price

But with snap on u can take the tool back in 30 years when it's worn out and they wil replace it

carter
08-03-2013, 11:04 PM
I use a $30 click wrench from advance auto parts and a 1/2 to 3/8 drive converter when it's needed.

Hasn't let me down yet.

Fabroman
08-04-2013, 03:50 AM
Oh wow reading that now sounds really bad. :eek:

I meant it as my complaint and no disrespect to this thread. I was just the leader on a backpacking trip with people complaining. I've enjoyed this thread so far and think its actually very funny.

:cheers2:

:oops: :lolgoku:

carter
08-04-2013, 06:28 AM
We'll chalk that up to a misunderstanding, but I'm watching you.

http://files.sharenator.com/WatchingYou_Weetabix_Ecstasy-s210x220-244103-505.png

J_Walker
08-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Go the bottle
I don't know how the bottle gets messy

U know u only need a single drop on small bolts
If u get a torque wrench then go for a 3/8 one
It covers a wide range of bolts U would come across on bikes and cars

By messy, I mean I like to spread the dot with my finger.. maybe its just my way of doing it, is messy. :lolgoku: But I only do that with the small bolts. "Really small bolts, Smaller then a pinky nail"

Yeah, I forgot to mention the 3/8th one.. I was pretty tired when I was posting that.

I don't mind HF tools, but I enjoy the lifetime warranty's on craftsman/snap-on. Personally, I own mostly craftsman, only because my family is "Dedicated" to them, and they are gifted. If If I buy my own tool, I look through reviews first and try to find the best one. I don't mind craftsman, but I noticed something on a newer socket set I got. Here (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00931088000P?mv=rr) a weird thing is that, the metric set seems to be kind of off? Like the Number 10 socket, will be lose over a bolt. but in an older socket set - also by craftsman. [bought in the 90's or so] All the Socket #10 sockets fit just fine... but in the set I recently got, the 10 doesn't fit. but something like the 13/32 would fit perfectly, and everything on the bikes I work on, ARE metric not SAE. and it says so in the manuals to use Metric tools. :ack2::huh:

So the set I got is kind of gimped? LOL

devino246
08-04-2013, 11:04 AM
By messy, I mean I like to spread the dot with my finger.. maybe its just my way of doing it, is messy. :lolgoku: But I only do that with the small bolts. "Really small bolts, Smaller then a pinky nail"

Yeah, I forgot to mention the 3/8th one.. I was pretty tired when I was posting that.

I don't mind HF tools, but I enjoy the lifetime warranty's on craftsman/snap-on. Personally, I own mostly craftsman, only because my family is "Dedicated" to them, and they are gifted. If If I buy my own tool, I look through reviews first and try to find the best one. I don't mind craftsman, but I noticed something on a newer socket set I got. Here (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00931088000P?mv=rr) a weird thing is that, the metric set seems to be kind of off? Like the Number 10 socket, will be lose over a bolt. but in an older socket set - also by craftsman. [bought in the 90's or so] All the Socket #10 sockets fit just fine... but in the set I recently got, the 10 doesn't fit. but something like the 13/32 would fit perfectly, and everything on the bikes I work on, ARE metric not SAE. and it says so in the manuals to use Metric tools. :ack2::huh:

So the set I got is kind of gimped? LOL

I'm about done buying Craftsman tools. Been to Sears lately? They're slowly changing the tools over to Chinese POS's. What happens if I break one of my Made In USA tools? I get a POS made in China tool in its place. :censored:

I dislike those sockets, anyway. Maybe I'm becoming a tool snob, but universal-type tools like that just scream "STRIP!" Probably made in China, too.

J_Walker
08-04-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm about done buying Craftsman tools. Been to Sears lately? They're slowly changing the tools over to Chinese POS's. What happens if I break one of my Made In USA tools? I get a POS made in China tool in its place. :censored:

I dislike those sockets, anyway. Maybe I'm becoming a tool snob, but universal-type tools like that just scream "STRIP!" Probably made in China, too.

as far as I know, they are stamped made in USA. but still, what's with the retard sizing? Did metric get .05 bigger in the last 20 or so years?

Or maybe craftsman is onto something... make tools that strip bolts... So you buy a set of these (http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-damaged-bolt-nut-remover-set-low/p-00952166000P)...

^ by the way, those are a freaking god send on oil drain plugs!

carter
08-04-2013, 07:19 PM
My dad bought a craftsman drill+reciprocating saw+two rechargable batters+charger set for $60. The drill broke and one of the batteries too. He went and bought himself a dewalt cordless drill and hasn't looked back, it's far smaller, and thus lighter, but actually has MORE torque and better battery life. Lesson learned? If you want a good drill, go with dewalt.

Fabroman
08-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Sometimes more expensive tools are better but, not always:
Most of my hand tools are Kingchrome (Australian owned & made) including ratchets. I used to use $2 1/4" ratchets that would last about a year. I finally bit the bullet & bought a Kingchrome one; it lasted about 2 years. When I enquired about warranty I was told "warranty doesn't cover wear & tear". So, instead of a useless $2 ratchet I now have a useless $20 ratchet.

As for power tools: I used to have a Makita angle grinder which did last a few years but, when it gave up, I was told it was cheaper to buy a new one than get it repaired.

Over the last few years, I have bought nothing but Ozito power tools (again, Australian owned & made but, at a budget price)random obital sander, hammer drill, plunge router, electric staple gun, angle grinder, the list goes on. The only problem I've had with any of them was the pad on the random orbital sander wore out & the gearbox in te grinder chewed out; with a 3 year replacement warranty included, I wasn't that worried

carter
08-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Now I don't own all expensive tools, but given the choice between a craftsman and a dewalt power tool, I'd pay for a dewalt instead.

devino246
08-04-2013, 09:02 PM
As far as cordless power tools are concerned, either Dewalt or Milwaukee, hands down.

When it comes to tools I use frequently, I'll go Matco or SnapOn. My 12", 3/8" drive, flex-head, 88 tooth ratchet is the best $120 I've spent.

carter
08-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Can this ratchet you have be used for breaking loose bolts? What kind of warrantee does it have?

J_Walker
08-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Can this ratchet you have be used for breaking loose bolts? What kind of warrantee does it have?

Hey, we don't know who you're talking too. to respond to someones post, just click the "quote" button.

If you where talking about me, and the socket heads, than you missed the hyperlink.

Here (http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-damaged-bolt-nut-remover-set-low/p-00952166000P?sid=I0084400010000100600&aff=Y&PID=6150068&AID=11042411)

carter
08-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Hey, we don't know who you're talking too. to respond to someones post, just click the "quote" button.

If you where talking about me, and the socket heads, than you missed the hyperlink.

Here (http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-damaged-bolt-nut-remover-set-low/p-00952166000P?sid=I0084400010000100600&aff=Y&PID=6150068&AID=11042411)

I just typed it in the quick reply because I assumed it would be understood that I was talking to the gent I was just having a conversation with if you look up a couple posts, I was actually asking about his fancy expensive ratchet.

devino246
08-04-2013, 10:57 PM
I just typed it in the quick reply because I assumed it would be understood that I was talking to the gent I was just having a conversation with if you look up a couple posts, I was actually asking about his fancy expensive ratchet.

I'll assume you're referring to me, then...

Yes, it can break loose bolts. It's a Matco ratchet, so lifetime warranty.

carter
08-04-2013, 11:02 PM
I'll assume you're referring to me, then...

Yes, it can break loose bolts. It's a Matco ratchet, so lifetime warranty.

Sounds nice mate, It's tempting to get one. Sorry if I came of as hostile in any way, I really didn't mean it to come our so harsh.

Poboy kartman
08-05-2013, 06:36 AM
I am a carpenter by trade, and I like Dewalt miter saws and drills. Bosch jigsaws and Porter Cable routers, belt sanders and routers. Early on, I had a Sears credit card and bought a lot of Craftsman tools. While they got the job done they left a lot to be desired.
I also do or have done almost everything. My Craftsman mechanic tools are old and they are awesome. I can't speak to the new ones.Kobalt seems to be the new Craftsman. Buying SnapOn or Matco only makes sense to me if you are an ASE mechanic and then buying anything else makes less sense.
I have my share of Chinese tools even for carpentry. Harbor Freight tools have their place. I look to how much you plan on using the tool and consider price. Chinese tools have little place in everyday professional work, but are a good alternative for the occasional DIY.

machinist@large
08-05-2013, 04:48 PM
It's really annoying when the shop gets broken into, and almost all of your Snap-On tools except the boxes are stolen; then your boss drags his feet paying you for the loss, finally getting you about $.20 on the dollar claiming the ins. company had used flee-bay as their reference for the replacement value.

To bad for him I know his insurance agent; after I got laid off because I kept demanding my money, his agent and I compared notes in detail. The :censored::censored::censored: had claimed almost double what I turned in, listing tools I had never owned in the first place to pad the bill. He'd done it to everyone who had tools stolen. Last I heard, he's paid out a couple of times more in legal fee's defending himself from fraud charges that it would have cost him to just be honest with me........

Poboy kartman
08-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Masochist@Large, I feel your pain. I'ts happened to me more than once. I have to wonder if maybe that ex "boss/owner of yours wasn't behind it all. Another quick point, not only did you get $.20 on the dollar, but the scumbag that ripped you off probably got the same. No winners here that I can see.
This is probably not reeeeely annoying, but close. I just got through mowing my yard a little while ago, and it was 105.If I wait until dusk, the temperature goes down but the mosquito population goes up.There were recently 200 verified cases of West Nile virus in my nearby communities. Several resuted in fatalities, and the others don't have a happy story for their trouble.
So basically, you have a choice, die by heat stroke, or infectious disease. I'll take my chances with the heat stroke.

J_Walker
08-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Masochist@Large, I feel your pain. I'ts happened to me more than once. I have to wonder if maybe that ex "boss/owner of yours wasn't behind it all. Another quick point, not only did you get $.20 on the dollar, but the scumbag that ripped you off probably got the same. No winners here that I can see.
This is probably not reeeeely annoying, but close. I just got through mowing my yard a little while ago, and it was 105.If I wait until dusk, the temperature goes down but the mosquito population goes up.There were recently 200 verified cases of West Nile virus in my nearby communities. Several resuted in fatalities, and the others don't have a happy story for their trouble.
So basically, you have a choice, die by heat stroke, or infectious disease. I'll take my chances with the heat stroke.

Hahahaha sounds like florida to me.. I live like a 1/4 mile from true swamp land..

I also have this ridiculous hill in my backyard with a wall.. [who ever decided that was a good idea should be shot.] and I only own a push mower :ack2:

Even with TWO bug zappers, front and back. those skeeters will still come after you!

What annoys me is living in a neighborhood with an HOA. they are a bunch of busy body's and act like its the 1960's [their like 40/50 years old - still young in my book] But they've ruined EVERYTHING with stupid "rules" they put in place. First it was no going to the parks after dawn before dusk. Then it was no parking on the sides of the streets without a special "permit" you have to request through the HOA [if they don't like you, you won't get issued a permit] THEN! its "You have to paint YOUR side of the wall that surrounds 1/4 of the neighborhood." Then they started calling the police on anyone who used a go kart out on the streets!

OH MY FAVORITE ONE! I get called regularly on by local "concerned" neighbors about my open carrying of my Air rifles [.177/.22/.25/9mm] normally stuffed inside a backpack, and the butt sticking out. THEY KNOW WHO I AM! They play stupid to the police that show up just to try to throw me under the bus. First the cops "educate me" in front of one of them, Telling me to keep it in my back yard. Because their "harmless" Because my 9mm 80 grain at FPS that's 143.9 FT.LBs! [Good for hunting coyotes] Is "harmless". I try to rationally explain to the officer AND the caller, That I carry my airrifles to the back fields where I have a 500 yard range, and that's with staying 500 feet away from roads. but no, that NEVER works out. I swear to god, the officers that show up [always the same ones] are in the HOA's pockets, because our HOA is known for having HOA funds "disappear" That crappy Easter/Christmas party they have every year don't cost them $15,000.00 - let me tell you that. :censored:

After the smoke settled, I stopped carrying my airrifles outside the house because the police where threatening me every time they saw me. Telling me they'd take me to jail for what ever charge they could pull out of their A55es and all that good stuff. So I stopped, well guess what problem the HOA had after I stopped going to the back fields? Oh, what's that? Coyotes attacking/killing small dogs and cats?! Sounds like a personal problem....

Some will say "just move" but I live in a house that's payed for, all I got to do is pay for internet/taxes/electricity/water. So just "moving" isn't really what I want to do, I'd rather them just get off my back and get some real jobs, instead of sucking off people like a bunch of leeches. :yawn:

carter
08-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Hahahaha sounds like florida to me.. I live like a 1/4 mile from true swamp land..

I also have this ridiculous hill in my backyard with a wall.. [who ever decided that was a good idea should be shot.] and I only own a push mower :ack2:

Even with TWO bug zappers, front and back. those skeeters will still come after you!

What annoys me is living in a neighborhood with an HOA. they are a bunch of busy body's and act like its the 1960's [their like 40/50 years old - still young in my book] But they've ruined EVERYTHING with stupid "rules" they put in place. First it was no going to the parks after dawn before dusk. Then it was no parking on the sides of the streets without a special "permit" you have to request through the HOA [if they don't like you, you won't get issued a permit] THEN! its "You have to paint YOUR side of the wall that surrounds 1/4 of the neighborhood." Then they started calling the police on anyone who used a go kart out on the streets!

OH MY FAVORITE ONE! I get called regularly on by local "concerned" neighbors about my open carrying of my Air rifles [.177/.22/.25/9mm] normally stuffed inside a backpack, and the butt sticking out. THEY KNOW WHO I AM! They play stupid to the police that show up just to try to throw me under the bus. First the cops "educate me" in front of one of them, Telling me to keep it in my back yard. Because their "harmless" Because my 9mm 80 grain at FPS that's 143.9 FT.LBs! [Good for hunting coyotes] Is "harmless". I try to rationally explain to the officer AND the caller, That I carry my airrifles to the back fields where I have a 500 yard range, and that's with staying 500 feet away from roads. but no, that NEVER works out. I swear to god, the officers that show up [always the same ones] are in the HOA's pockets, because our HOA is known for having HOA funds "disappear" That crappy Easter/Christmas party they have every year don't cost them $15,000.00 - let me tell you that. :censored:

After the smoke settled, I stopped carrying my airrifles outside the house because the police where threatening me every time they saw me. Telling me they'd take me to jail for what ever charge they could pull out of their A55es and all that good stuff. So I stopped, well guess what problem the HOA had after I stopped going to the back fields? Oh, what's that? Coyotes attacking/killing small dogs and cats?! Sounds like a personal problem....

Some will say "just move" but I live in a house that's payed for, all I got to do is pay for internet/taxes/electricity/water. So just "moving" isn't really what I want to do, I'd rather them just get off my back and get some real jobs, instead of sucking off people like a bunch of leeches. :yawn:

Sounds like what you need is some "vandalism from random hoodlums" in the middle of the night.

Poboy kartman
08-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Yep-city living sucks. I don't have a HOA where I live, but City Hall is just as bad. Sounds like you have probably ONE aho neighbor and a couple of aho cops.I went through the same thing with my guitar playing years ago. One time I cranked up my Marshall stack and told my company at first time to "watch this".I played for about one minute and quit. Two minutes later there was a knock at the door. Guess who?
After they left, I told my company "who needs 911?"
I'm lucky in the gun department though, all my neighbors now are cool.Mater of fact, I don't have any problems with my guitar playing either.
I just shoot in my back yard with my .22 Marlin with a 50mm 3x9 scope using Aquilla Super Colibri bullets (quieter than most air rifles and good enough for small game up to squirrel size. )
It helps feed me and my snake.

J_Walker
08-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Sounds like what you need is some "vandalism from random hoodlums" in the middle of the night.

Even better.. I got a strait piped twin cylinder motorcycle... 3 AM is sure **** of a time for redline.... :thumbsup::surrender:

Speaking of that, I was actually out today, test riding around my neighborhood, the speed limits 30MPH but during the day, there's NO ONE out but a few lawn cutters. I was doing like a slow/speed up. 45mph or so. this lady signals for me to slow down, I look at her, and signal to speed up.. as I rev'd my engine [she actually lives in my neighborhood and is full of herself] well apparently she didn't find it as funny as I did, when I came back around [it makes a giant loop] an she was on her phone, with her truck PARKED SIDEWAYS in the middle of the street to try to stop me.. So I took the sidewalk.. ;) Never the least, I headed back to the garage, and closed it. watched 2 cop cars pass by.. recognized them, same guys as always....

Fabroman
08-07-2013, 07:35 PM
That's the one thing that restricts our hobby, ANNOYING NEIGHBOURS!

As the old saying goes, "you can't pick your neighbours or relatives"

machinist@large
08-07-2013, 07:57 PM
That's the one thing that restricts our hobby, ANNOYING NEIGHBOURS!

As the old saying goes, "you can't pick your neighbours or relatives"

Actually, the old saying is, Quote "You can pick your enemies, but you can't pick your in laws". Unquote.

carter
08-07-2013, 08:19 PM
My neighbors all have kids who love and are astonished by my go-kart, sometimes the follow me up to the school I ride at and watch me do a couple speed runs down the asphalt straight.

As far as neighbors trying to be cute, it would be most inadvisable, I have a 100Watt marshall fullstack, another 60Watt combo, and a splitter box. If my neighbors even try to bully me they'll never hear the end of it.

Poboy kartman
08-07-2013, 08:52 PM
My neighbors all have kids who love and are astonished by my go-kart, sometimes the follow me up to the school I ride at and watch me do a couple speed runs down the asphalt straight.

As far as neighbors trying to be cute, it would be most inadvisable, I have a 100Watt marshall fullstack, another 60Watt combo, and a splitter box. If my neighbors even try to bully me they'll never hear the end of it.
For those of you who may not know, a 100watt Marshall full stack has 2 cabinets with 4 12" Celestion speakers each, and when cranked up can throw it decibels in the jet engine/ top fuel dragster range. This is exactly what I was talking about in the post on page 5.

J_Walker
08-07-2013, 09:40 PM
For those of you who may not know, a 100watt Marshall full stack has 2 cabinets with 4 12" Celestion speakers each, and when cranked up can throw it decibels in the jet engine/ top fuel dragster range. This is exactly what I was talking about in the post on page 5.

But... Will they blend......

carter
08-07-2013, 10:27 PM

Actually mine has The K-100 speakers, Higher sensitivity, power handling of 100 watts per speaker and it can double as a bass cabinet. In short, louder and boomier than a regular marshall cab.

Poboy kartman
08-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Actually mine has The K-100 speakers, Higher sensitivity, power handling of 100 watts per speaker and it can double as a bass cabinet. In short, louder and boomier than a regular marshall cab.
Been a few years, I was thinking old school.Is your amp solid state or tube?

J_Walker
08-08-2013, 03:39 PM
When you get done fixing something, and in the process you broke something else... :/

When someone thinks its a good idea to jump a motorcycle battery, with a car.... [bye bye stater relay!!]

machinist@large
08-08-2013, 06:04 PM
It's REEAALLYY Annoying when the new guy at work, who sold himself to the boss as having all of your experience as a CNC Machinist while having the in depth CAD experience you lack, turns out to be just a "mouse monkey" with almost zero machine knowledge.....

I'm still cataloging what he lacks compared to what he claimed he could do; I'll update after I have a full week of observation...

fowler
08-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Must have been a small motorbike

Iv never seen a 6v motorbike

U gotta love those guys that have done everything

FIGJAM

F*** I'm Good Just Ask Me

Just don't test me

machinist@large
08-08-2013, 06:17 PM
When you get done fixing something, and in the process you broke something else... :/

When someone thinks its a good idea to jump a motorcycle battery, with a car.... [bye bye stater relay!!]

Fowler, I'm guessing it was an amperage issue; modern motorcycle's almost always run 12V systems. That being said, dig back into the 1940~1950's time frame, especially from the British MFR's; the poor Brit's got seriously burned by the "Prince Of Darkness", Lucas Electrics who got that name from 6V systems, and really :censored: quality.

:thumbsup:

carter
08-09-2013, 01:52 AM
Been a few years, I was thinking old school.Is your amp solid state or tube?

Tube, Just retubed it last winter with E-34-L power tubes and two ECC83 in V2and V#, and in V1 I have a ECC803, all from JJ electronics.

Fabroman
08-09-2013, 04:51 AM
FIGJAM

Hey, that's me :D :lolgoku:

machinist@large
08-09-2013, 03:47 PM

U gotta love those guys that have done everything

FIGJAM

Just don't test me

Hey, that's me :D :lolgoku:

:funnypost::lolgoku::cheers2::stir: The only time I regret that we're all trying to run a family friendly forum is when we have a gauntlet throw down challenge like this; to do both of these justice requires language that is rightly :censored: here.

Ahh, well; at least I can claim it's the logistics of tracking both of you down in separate corners of a continent on the other side of the globe that prevents me from showing up on your door steps and saying "PROVE IT!!!!!"

All in good fun.....:cheers2::thumbsup::popcorn:

J_Walker
08-09-2013, 05:57 PM
It's REEAALLYY Annoying when the new guy at work, who sold himself to the boss as having all of your experience as a CNC Machinist while having the in depth CAD experience you lack, turns out to be just a "mouse monkey" with almost zero machine knowledge.....

I'm still cataloging what he lacks compared to what he claimed he could do; I'll update after I have a full week of observation...

I have something to say about this...

Let me start off I'm not defending lying or anything...

But it's been **** of a time getting a constant stable job for me. As so as with everyone else. Jobs that I'm qualified for, I don't get hired. Sometimes you gotta pitch yourself as the best of the best to get jobs, do you think your employer would of hired the guy if he admitted to not knowing everything? Probably not. Its sadly how the world works today, to work at the burger king, you need 10 years line cook in a 5 star restaurant.

exenos
08-09-2013, 06:29 PM

But it's been **** of a time getting a constant stable job for me. As so as with everyone else. Jobs that I'm qualified for, I don't get hired. Sometimes you gotta pitch yourself as the best of the best to get jobs, do you think your employer would of hired the guy if he admitted to not knowing everything? Probably not. Its sadly how the world works today, to work at the burger king, you need 10 years line cook in a 5 star restaurant.

I've actually found it to be quite the opposite. Every job or job offer I have had wasn't because I was the best or knew it all, it was because I was honest and up front with what I knew and didn't know. They had a realistic idea of how much training I would need and what I could do without any training. I'm only 18 but from the little bit of the world I have seen I've found that lying (not saying you are) and exaggerating will get you no where link the long run, that includes jobs.

machinist@large
08-09-2013, 06:58 PM

When I posted that, I was seriously p:censored: off: I'm still an unhappy camper. When someone claims that they know their way around CNC control's, and all they need is a refresher on what you have in house, they should be able to back their words with actions.

This :censored: has put our small shop behind the 8 ball: there are enough actual machinists/ CNC machinists on the forum that they should be able to explain this really basic question; if the new guy is standing at the front of the machine, pecking away at the keys of a control panel on a machine that was totally silent a moment ago when you unlocked the front door to open up on a Monday and asks/demands "How do you start this :censored:?"

Here's an open ended question; what do you say to someone who claims to be " " gift to whatever he touches why you would turn off a machine that draws ~30 Amps at 440V 3Ph just sitting still; the control will pull the plug at ~180 Amps, why would you just turn it off when you don't need it?

(Bueller? Bueller?)

Fabroman
08-09-2013, 07:00 PM
:funnypost::lolgoku::cheers2::stir: The only time I regret that we're all trying to run a family friendly forum is when we have a gauntlet throw down challenge like this; to do both of these justice requires language that is rightly :censored: here.

Ahh, well; at least I can claim it's the logistics of tracking both of you down in separate corners of a continent on the other side of the globe that prevents me from showing up on your door steps and saying "PROVE IT!!!!!"

All in good fun.....:cheers2::thumbsup::popcorn:

All I have to say to that is have you seen my work? :roflol:

I don't claim to know everything & never will but, what I do know I do to the best of my abilities (but, I'm my own worst critic), what I don't know I find out if & when I need to

Case in point: IMO, this isn't good enough because of all the micro scratches

J_Walker
08-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Here's an open ended question; what do you say to someone who claims to be " " gift to whatever he touches why you would turn off a machine that draws ~30 Amps at 440V 3Ph just sitting still; the control will pull the plug at ~180 Amps, why would you just turn it off when you don't need it?

(Bueller? Bueller?)

That questions kind of confusing, I saw it two ways..

That you should turn it off to save power, because of the draw..

Or that it doesn't need to be turned off because it'll put itself in sleep mode just sitting there. and turning it off would be a PITA when you go to turn it on again, because it has to "load"

machinist@large
08-09-2013, 07:10 PM
All I have to say to that is have you seen my work? :roflol:

:stir: As someone who has been forced to learn and deal with the ISO/ QS quality control/ standard systems, are you ready to have me inspect your work? If so, PM me about the schedule & travel arrangements, starting with your payment plan: Per ISO/QS requirements, you are responsible for all expenses involved in certifying that you actually meet the qualifying standards.... :stir:

Fabroman
08-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Maybe not but, what I do isn't on the world market, it's not even on the national market. :D

Having said what I said, I would never attempt to "oversell" myself; if a perspective employer isn't happy with what I can do then so be it. The thing is, there's a massive difference between what I can do & what I'm qualified to do...

machinist@large
08-09-2013, 07:40 PM
That questions kind of confusing, I saw it two ways..

That you should turn it off to save power, because of the draw..

Or that it doesn't need to be turned off because it'll put itself in sleep mode just sitting there. and turning it off would be a PITA when you go to turn it on again, because it has to "load"

J, I thank you for a basic set of questions, which would be asked by pretty much anyone; I'll try to answer as best I can.

Any machine that's turned on and doing absolutely :censored: is just wasting power; the bigger the machine, the more it costs the company to have it sit just idling. Think having a 50 gal. gas tank for a lawn mower and starting it up before you go to school, letting it just sit and idle until you came back home.....

As for start up, the only bleeding edge computer tech in industry is about 3~5 years behind today's computers; the latest, greatest, crash happy stuff is not the systems you trust potentially 10's of thousands of hours of irreplaceable work to for storage and control.

That being said, from a standing start (if the air compressor has a full tank) I can have our 1992 CNC powered up, waiting for my command in ~1 1/2 minutes; thats all the time it needs to do it's self checks and acknowledge "Here I Am!!! What Am I Doing Today?!?!"

Hope this clarifies things....

itsid
08-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Oh the correct answer would have been:
"I bet you can google that *myfriend*[to be replaced]" ;)

Then slowly walk away.

'sid

Poboy kartman
08-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Hahahaha sounds like florida to me.. I live like a 1/4 mile from true swamp :censored:
Well my swamp is closer to 5 miles away but there are times I think I might be in Florida. My "swamp" is a wetlands area on a nature preserve.I'm not complaining, I usually visit it to either donate a snake or have one identified.
Without it I never would have seen a bald eagle in flight.
Here's the weird part about that-I've only seen one once, and never met anyone else who has, but an obscure newspaper article confirmed a pair of nesting eagles in the area at the time.
Back to the swamp-It's been fairly well known that there were alligators on the lake, whether by rumors or factual reporting. My last visit to the nature center I saw a sign on a closed trail.Basically an alligator warning. The other day, I saw the same kind of sign miles away from the nature center near a feeder creek.Actually, I hope we get a good enough population to allow hunting them, I think they are delicious.
Anyway-they are spraying for mosquitoes tonight and the next few days. Seems that West Nile virus is closer to home than I thought. So I was wondering, do you have West Nile virus where you are?

Poboy kartman
08-14-2013, 12:37 PM

Here's the thing-While you and I have devoted ourselves to be artisans at our crafts.There are another group of people who have perfected the art of deception.

I think I may have just been a victim of such.

Here's the deal-there are very few people that can do what I do. And I'm not talking general population, but the ones in my line of work.But these people have much more experience jumping from job to job-so they know how to sell themselves much better than you or me.That is what they excell at.

You are what you do. In the end, the powers that be didn't build their businesses beause they were idiots, and these toureds will be flushed out- just like our "daily business".

J_Walker
08-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Well my swamp is closer to 5 miles away but there are times I think I might be in Florida. My "swamp" is a wetlands area on a nature preserve.I'm not complaining, I usually visit it to either donate a snake or have one identified.
Without it I never would have seen a bald eagle in flight.
Here's the weird part about that-I've only seen one once, and never met anyone else who has, but an obscure newspaper article confirmed a pair of nesting eagles in the area at the time.
Back to the swamp-It's been fairly well known that there were alligators on the lake, whether by rumors or factual reporting. My last visit to the nature center I saw a sign on a closed trail.Basically an alligator warning. The other day, I saw the same kind of sign miles away from the nature center near a feeder creek.Actually, I hope we get a good enough population to allow hunting them, I think they are delicious.
Anyway-they are spraying for mosquitoes tonight and the next few days. Seems that West Nile virus is closer to home than I thought. So I was wondering, do you have West Nile virus where you are?

Little late, I know...

We get a few cases every year of the west nile virus. no major outbreaks that I remember of in my area, though If I remember correctly, sometime last year there was like 7 cases in a single hotel area of yellow fever, suspected from the mosquitoes. I think the biggest one still.. is malaria for some reason, luckily I cannot catch malaria genetically - Because I have thalassemia.

firemanjim
08-18-2013, 07:08 AM
My FANUC cnc takes about 15-20 seconds to boot up and prompt me to turn onhydraulics. That is from acomplete power shut down,wich i do at the end of everyday. Why let the computer run all night racking up hours on the meter for nothing.....
It AABSOLUTELY MAKES ME MAD when the screen says," coolant breaker off" in the middle of a loonnggggg program. Gotta stop, pull out, shut off machine, open up the back to flip the switch,restart the cnc, restart the program..... JUST FOR IT TO HAPPEN AGAIN 20 MINUTES LATER,AGAIN IN THE MIDDLE OF A PROGRAM OPERATION...... GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

firemanjim
08-18-2013, 04:46 PM
When you get a "flu/fever" call, enroute you're told CPR in progress,and you show up to see family pushin on STOMACH causing aspiration (choked on stomach content),then get MAD at YOU cause YOU'RE not doing it right..... (seriously? I got papers that say Iknow what iI'm doin')continue CPR for the 25 min ride to hospital,exhausted on arrival.
Then get a SMALL trash fire call that turns out to be a LARGE trash fire hiding TIRES and turning into a 1 acre grass fire...... Its only us 3 officers(I'm a Lt my capt and asst chief) and winds are high grass is dry..... first in mutual aide is 25 minutes away bringing water we dont have enough of. After tap out, property owner says, "what do you mean its ILLEGAL to burn tires and building materials(roofing)????
Ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr And says, "its not MY fault that grass caught on fire! My fire is here..... " UPWIND of the grass fire,and on the other side of his fence, wich is burning......

devino246
08-18-2013, 05:51 PM
When you get a "flu/fever" call, enroute you're told CPR in progress,and you show up to see family pushin on STOMACH causing aspiration (choked on stomach content),then get MAD at YOU cause YOU'RE not doing it right..... (seriously? I got papers that say Iknow what iI'm doin')continue CPR for the 25 min ride to hospital,exhausted on arrival.
Then get a SMALL trash fire call that turns out to be a LARGE trash fire hiding TIRES and turning into a 1 acre grass fire...... Its only us 3 officers(I'm a Lt my capt and asst chief) and winds are high grass is dry..... first in mutual aide is 25 minutes away bringing water we dont have enough of. After tap out, property owner says, "what do you mean its ILLEGAL to burn tires and building materials(roofing)????
Ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr And says, "its not MY fault that grass caught on fire! My fire is here..... " UPWIND of the grass fire,and on the other side of his fence, wich is burning......

Ohh how I can't wait till I get to experience this for myself</sarcasm> :ack2:

Poboy kartman
08-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Ummmmm Jim, ol buddy, ol pal-are you SURE you didn't mean to post this in the "Reeeealy annoying thread" love ya just the same and I don't have a problem with you posting here. ... just saying. ...:cheers2:
Oh SHEEEETS!!!!! IDK HOW I thought you were on a different thread. ....my appologies to all. ...

fowler
08-19-2013, 04:16 AM
i meant to ask about the whole fire thing in the US
i mean i know its been a dry year and its hot but it seems u guys are getting hammered with bush fires
is the media just blowing it out?

i mean its arguable that Australia is the king of bush fires but we may only get one bad one a year
but we do have a huge bush fire program going from prescribed burns to compulsory fire breaks on all small property's to large ad campaigns
is it a lack of public education or what?

back on topic
when u get sent to Westrac (aus Cat dealer) to do work experience, install the cams and liners then u check the tunnel bore on the engine that was just back form the machine shop and find its 4 thou too tight :censored:
because the muppet that did it didnt torque the main cap bolts down during the milling process
then it gets sent back to the machine shop and the machinist gets a rocket up his behind (the machine shop is a 24/7 operation
rock up on Monday to find they haven't toughed the block yet:censored::mad2::mad2:

not only that but they failed to organised a spot for it in the shop
so it sat outside all weekend in the rain :mad2::censored::mad2::censored:

then told i may as well go back to my workshop as they will now be a few days machining and re polishing it
the leading hand of the engine shop looked like he was about to beat someone to death with a 3/4 breaker bar

firemanjim
08-19-2013, 06:51 AM
We have 10 states with grass fires burning at the moment, iirc. ..... some people are just idiots,and some of these fires happen naturally, ie lightning strikes.....

fowler
08-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Ha
Even kids that haven't seen any green areas bugger than a park
(City kids) know how to be fire smart
It may be just engrained into us like earthquake or tornado actions for some of u guys

Then of course we still get the lightning strikesand the odd dense mother******
Who either makes a mistake
Or thinks lighting a fire would be cool
(Google black sarterday Victoria bush fires)
But I'll stop here before this becomes a rant on arsonists

Poboy kartman
08-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Australia has the trees but not the population. As the saying goes-there's one in every bunch. ...larger bunches=more idiots. JMHO.

Fabroman
08-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Ha
Even kids that haven't seen any green areas bugger than a park
(City kids) know how to be fire smart

YA THINK?

My exes house backs onto a large nature reserve which extends over 5 suburbs. On one of the hottest days last summer, two teenage morons decided it would be fun to set a fire in the middle of it, less than a mile from where she, my daughter & stepson live; the whole area had to be evacuated...

Thankfully, due to the quick response & actions of fire fighters, it was contained & extiguished within a few hours without any loss of property; let's just say it could've been a lot worse...

Unfortunately, that wasn't a "one off", it happens all the time around that area which is only about 20kms from the foot of the Blue Mountains; there's a bushfire there (in the mountains) at least once a year & 99% of them are deliberately lit. A few years ago the fire burned for over a week, many houses lost & smoke that could be smelled 25kms away & seen 100kms away...

itsid
08-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Remember that really good day I had just recently??
Screw that!

it's really annoying when an ebay seller agrees to sell you an item,
you win said auction and he then refuses to sell it afterwards.

That :censored: piece of :censored: didn't answered my first few mails after I won the auction, and today I got:

I am NOT SELLING THE PARTS
Please do not bother me again. Thanks

WTF?!

I wish I were in Canada today, I'd go right to his door and p33 in his shoes.
:censored::censored: :furious2::mad2:

'sid

firemanjim
08-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Remember that really good day I had just recently??
Screw that!

it's really annoying when an ebay seller agrees to sell you an item,
you win said auction and he then refuses to sell it afterwards.

That :censored: piece of :censored: didn't answered my first few mails after I won the auction, and today I got:

WTF?!

I wish I were in Canada today, I'd go right to his door and p33 in his shoes.
:censored::censored: :furious2::mad2:

'sid:funnypost::wai::wai::iagree:

Fabroman
08-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Report him; last I heard, you're not allowed to do that...

itsid
08-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Reported already of course.
since he's not allowed to do that, but ebay does what.. frown?
Yes, thanks, that'll help. :(

'sid

Poboy kartman
08-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Reported already of course.
since he's not allowed to do that, but ebay does what.. frown?
Yes, thanks, that'll help. :(

'sid

Picture it-Italy 1945-(sorry Golden Girls flashback)-it was 4th of July weekend but 1 hr. before this guys posted hours of operation ended and 1/2 hr before the end of the auction. The item in question was only very slightly cheaper than local pawn shop prices.
I e-mailed asking if it was available for local p/u.I didn't get an answer (undoubtedly he started the Holiday weekend early.
I won the auction but the guy said it was somebody else's stuff and it HAD to be shipped. I informed him of my Email and gave him 2 options:pay the shipping or cancel the transaction.
When he declined and threatened filing something or other-been like 4years- I just gave in.
HERE'S THE THING- Later this jerk Emailed me crying-"Why did you leave me bad feedback? )
REALLY?????

machinist@large
08-19-2013, 04:52 PM
:surrender::surrender: One of the biggest reasons I've never been tempted to try and purchase anything from ":ack2: bay" is because of all the horror stories I hear about.....

A good loose rule of thumb for me is, if I can't pick it up and look at it in person, pay cash on the spot with a receipt, then i probably don't need to deal with " ". This only applies to private party transactions; I've had great luck with Amazon, and the industrial suppliers that I've used for "this and that"" have all been great.....

:cheers2::popcorn::popcorn:

itsid
08-19-2013, 05:39 PM
:surrender::surrender: One of the biggest reasons I've never been tempted to try and purchase anything from ":ack2: bay" is because of all the horror stories I hear about.....

A good loose rule of thumb for me is, if I can't pick it up and look at it in person, pay cash on the spot with a receipt, then i probably don't need to deal with " ". This only applies to private party transactions; I've had great luck with Amazon, and the industrial suppliers that I've used for "this and that"" have all been great.....

Well, yes, new stuff on ebay makes almost no sense at all
(very few exceptions) but if you would like to buy something old
and the watchpart I'm talking about here is made in 1968/69 it's hard to find it at all, impossible to find it within a 100 mile radius.
It took more than 2 years to finally find it at all.

I bought a watch this may on ebay that I was hunting since the beginning of this century (2001),
I cannot let things like that pass just because it's an ocean somewhere between me and the things I want.
Especially not if they're that hard to find.
(Well, I have to surrender in some cases like vintage karts or full size cars because the shipping is not just an envelope or small box; but if USPS or FedEx can handle it, I'm in)

'sid

devino246
08-19-2013, 05:42 PM
I've had great luck on Ebay. Bought ski boots for $60 and skis for $90 last winter. Just recently bought a new HP power cord for my laptop for $25 and a 50mm enlarger lens for $11 shipped.

machinist@large
08-20-2013, 06:34 PM
:censored::censored::censored::mad::mad::mad:

It's REALLY ANNOYING when your computer decides to turn itself on, log onto the internet (using your wireless card) and then sit there in idle mode until you get home and find that you have to shut it down before you can turn it on......

What's even more annoying is when it decides to update itself when you are using it, and that update involves just turning itself off with out warning you.....

THREE NIGHTS STRAIGHT it's suddenly started to do this. Any idea's/ help would be greatly appreciated.....

itsid
08-20-2013, 06:42 PM
start -> control panel -> System & Security -> Windows Update (left panel-> change setting)
"Important updates" set "never check for updates"
remove all checkmarks and save

This way you need to click the "check for updates" button manually to receive an update.

'sid

Doc Sprocket
08-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Hammer.

Poboy kartman
08-20-2013, 08:15 PM

It's been @ 4years-so I can't give specifics- but I spent thousands of dollars and did somewhere around 150 transactions-almost all for used parts from private parties and this was like one of 3 that wasn't ideal.
Sooooooo- Ebay+PayPal= 98% customer satisfaction in this case.

fowler
08-20-2013, 10:41 PM
eBay seems to work great for me

But I'll tell PayPal where they can put their customer service
Some computer system must keep tripping and it sents me a message saying I must prove my identity

Havering to print out forms and take them to be signed at the post office every couple of weeks has nothing going for it
They can go get stuff as far as I'm concerned
Lastly they won't let me close my account or return the last $124 back to my bank

Fabroman
08-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Never use paypal, never will... pretty much for those reasons

Poboy kartman
08-21-2013, 03:17 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm-Guess you can't trust ANY of your old "Pals" these days. ......
Still planning. ..........

souperman000
08-22-2013, 04:37 PM
i meant to ask about the whole fire thing in the US
i mean i know its been a dry year and its hot but it seems u guys are getting hammered with bush fires
is the media just blowing it out?

We have 10 states with grass fires burning at the moment, iirc. ..... some people are just idiots,and some of these fires happen naturally, ie lightning strikes.....

A lot of fire are natural or accidental.

We get hammered with brushfires in the west basically every year, though some are definitely worse than others. These massive fires are caused by the poor forest management practices the Forest Service has employed on federal lands over the last hundred years. Their policy included putting out every single fire aggressively. What they failed to realize is that fire is an integral part of the ecosystem, clearing old dead brush and scattering seeds, cleansing soil, etc. With no fire, the brush builds up and we get these catastrophic fires.

Shpeal over...

fowler
08-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Yea we have a controlled burns program

So the bush is continuing to be burned every 3 years or so

Just small sections at a time
Looking up the escarpment outside the city there's always a plume of smoke somewhere
The aboriginals have controlled the land by fire for thousands of years and it works well
Which is one reason why our native bush is so different from South Africa

We just have issues with private land
Mostly hobby farmers and large house blocks in the forest
The owners fail to clear trees from around their house and fail to pick up fallen material
Then a small spark spreads like well.... Wild fire
And it becomes very hard to controll

firemanjim
08-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Well, of course media blowsEVERYTHING out of proportion, but it is trulya big problem in the US. In the US, over 70% of the fire depts (iirc , might be 77%) are VOLUNTEER and working with shoe-string budgets. Basic FF1 and FF2 (fire fighter, ff2 includes structural) teaches fire sscience and behavior and what not. Grass fires ,on the other hand, are totally different animals. There is more to the reading of the smoke,now weather is a factor, terrain, available fuels...... unless you know what you're doing,things can get UGLY very QUICK. I've been fortunate to have taken, and passed 2 different wild land fire course(state and federal) and am only waiting to get my cert test arraigned.
On another note,.... imho, it seems to me that MOST people could care less about their fire dept and dont wanna HAVE to pay to have one ........ but:smiley_omg:if they NEED us , they are SO thankful as i cut and peel the car from around their body...... MOST people wont get out of my way when I'm running "hot" (BUNCH of lights and EAR PIERCING siren) POV, or in the "BIG RED TRUCK" for that matter, yet when you make scene,they ask,.... "what took so long?"........
Uuhhhhhh , no body wanted to let us get through?........ :censored::censored::censored:

Fabroman
08-23-2013, 01:37 AM
MOST people wont get out of my way when I'm running "hot" (BUNCH of lights and EAR PIERCING siren) POV, or in the "BIG RED TRUCK" for that matter, yet when you make scene,they ask,.... "what took so long?"........
Uuhhhhhh , no body wanted to let us get through?........ :censored::censored::censored:

That is becoming a real problem over here too. IMO, EVERY emergengy vehicle should be fitted with a dash cam to record & later fine those who don't get out of the way... & not some piddly little $100 fine, make it $1000; people will get out of the way then...

Edit: Hey, that kills two birds; the money from the fines can then be used to fund the respective departments :)

fowler
08-23-2013, 01:54 AM
There was an incident over here 2 years ago where someone started a fire in the hills around a town called Northam

A fire truck was cruising up though the hills with a car in front
The car simply wouldn't get out the way for the 40 minute drive

Eventually the car pulled into a servo
So the truck followed
The fireman got out and beat the **** out of the driver
They put the man back in the car and drive off

The driver tried to take it to court but local up cry ment it got thrown out before any hearing
The man got fined for obstructing an emergency vehical and it went quiet
No jounalist would touch it due to the blurred moral of the situation
The story never got out of town

I reckon too bloody right
Good on the firemen

machinist@large
08-23-2013, 05:00 PM
On my side of the State (Michigan's Lower Peninsula, west side) over 60% of the voter's pride themselves as being "Fiscal Conservatives". It means they want all the services of a real local government, without having to PAY FOR IT.

In the township I live in we don't have our own fire dept.: we contract with the three townships and the the city we border for our fire & rescue services, on a cost per call basis; our police work is handled by the county Sheriff's dept. in tandem with the local post of the Michigan State Police. The cost for police protection is covered by State and County taxes.

For me, this debate is pretty cut & dry; if you want these services, they will require people to do the work; these people need to be pretty highly trained to do their work. These people need to be able to feed themselves AND THEIR FAMILIES.. That means you need to actually PAY THEM.

Things came to a head 7 years ago (off year elections); the township was facing a fiscal deficit due to the outstanding bills from various fire dept's due to a multi county arson ring we had on the loose. The township wanted a one year/ one time property tax assessment to pay the bill. Me being a property owner with multiple outbuildings (small family farm), I wound up with the same one time assessment as the little Mc Millionaires (homes and property assessed in excess of $650,000.00 US dollars.

The one time fee that had these..."individuals"... claiming that a volunteer should provide all their own equipment, cover all their own expenses, etc, just out of the compassionate kindness of their hearts? For a homeowner with a home valued over $500,000.00, or a farm with a land value over $750,000.00 (our farm at that time, 200 acres X $4000.00 an acre = $800,000.00), just what was the fee that had these :censored: screaming?

$50.00

That's right. only $50.00, in a one time assessment.

J_Walker
08-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Here in Florida, it was like 5 years ago? I think. Family friend of mine was camping out little north east of me. some idiots cigar that was flicked from a car window [normally that's how fires start around here.. happens around my house at least once a year, if not more.] started a grass fire, then the tall grass caught the oak trees around it on fire, well he was nearby CAMPING! [yeah, who camps near a road?!] anyway he smelt it, so decided to take a look, faced with a wall of fire, he called 9/11 but his phone cut out and lost signal. So he went to some local quickie mart[had them call 911], and had an ACE near by, picked up a fire hose from the quickie mark, and a pipe wrench.. He opened up some main city water line that had be capped off for like the last 15 year or so... Put out the fire with 5 other guys!

Know how he's rewarded?

800$ fine for breaking that water line.
200$ fine for the water used from the water line.
and 2 nights in jail and court date, after he punched a cop for writing him those fines...

I would like to add, and I'm guilty from this. my fathers side of the family are known for their tempers.. lots of good people, just don't try to reason with them after you "dun pissed em off."

fowler
08-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Ha talking of paying for services

It's so wet down on the farm that the main road has washed away
We keep asking the shore council to put in some big culverts and fix the road

Well they reckon isn't not cost effective
Except now the main road is so bad that our worker was taking our tractor down it last week and got bogged in the middle of the main road
This is a 600hp 4x4 tractor with duels all round

So now the road is really ****ed

Recently they sent out the rates bill
It was around 12grand
My dad worked out that all the land owing rates in the area and relying on that 30km stretch of gravel the shire is pulling in some 320 grand

Now being as we pay line rental on the power lines and don't have mains water that 300 grand is purely for roads

Now I'm no engineer but for 320 grand u should be able to fix 30km of gravel road

Now dad is putting in a petition in the local area to stop paying rates and fix our own roads
The machinery is already here

The thing is this is happening all over the shire in isolated areas
So where's the coinage going
Oh look the town is getting a new foreshore and jetty

Poboy kartman
10-31-2013, 09:32 PM
I can't say that these couple of things are REALLY annoying, but they do represent the " dumbing down" of Americans and that is.

Halloween: when I was a kid we were taught that the people who had their porch lights on were giving out candy and the ones that didn't weren't. Seems like most of the people giving out candy follow this code while the kids are clueless.

Then half the time they walk up and open their bags with a blank stare on their faces. What's worse is when I ask- " What do you say? " and they don't get it.

The other little annoying thing is when you buy something with some weight to it (like a six pack of Cokes or something) and the clerk bags it up. Now we are all familiar with the common "paper or plastic bags". The plastic ones have handles built in. So here's your bagged up six-pack sitting on the counter with the handles all sitting up pretty as you please just waiting for you to reach down and grab them. So in the next 15 seconds while you are putting away your change- THAT changes. This mental giant reaches down and picks up the bag. Now it's a whole foot higher off the counter (gee wiz that was a big help) but where in the:censored: do they expect you to grab it when their hands are where yours need to be????

Fabroman
11-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Halloween:

What annoys me about halloween is WE HAVE IT! Isn't that an American tradition? Can you please take it back?

The other little annoying thing is when you buy something with some weight to it (like a six pack of Cokes or something) and the clerk bags it up. Now we are all familiar with the common "paper or plastic bags". The plastic ones have handles built in. So here's your bagged up six-pack sitting on the counter with the handles all sitting up pretty as you please just waiting for you to reach down and grab them. So in the next 15 seconds while you are putting away your change- THAT changes. This mental giant reaches down and picks up the bag. Now it's a whole foot higher off the counter (gee wiz that was a big help) but where in the:censored: do they expect you to grab it when their hands are where yours need to be????

I usually respond with something like "If you really want to help me, don't..."

machinist@large
11-01-2013, 11:00 AM
What annoys me about halloween is WE HAVE IT! Isn't that an American tradition? Can you please take it back?

:huh: :surrender: I've heard/ read several different accounts of how Halloween came to be the economic boondoggle it is today; I do know that I've read various accounts of how the custom came from England before the US Revolutionary war, and how the British Colonial Government tried to stamp it out. I don't know the history of how it came to be so entrenched, but I'm willing to guess that there are a large number of web sites that would be more than willing to fill in the blanks....

As for how you wound up with it? Dec. 7th, 1941. When WWII was over, the USA found itself in a position never really seen before in recorded history; we had gone from an isolationist nation who really didn't want to get into others problems to "The Arsenal Of Democracy", the nation who not only fought basically two separate wars on both sides of the world at once, but pumped out enough food and munitions to help keep our Allies alive while we went from full piece time life to the single largest war time mobilization in recorded history.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, the US could not go back; General, later President Dwight D. Eisenhower saw that: he helped drag the kicking, screaming thing called national identity into the future, out of the past.....

The reason you have Halloween? The rest of you (well, maybe not you personally), looked at the USA as a role model of what they could dream of becoming as they pulled themselves back together.............:surrender:

I usually respond with something like "If you really want to help me, don't..."

Are you sure you're not a Tool & Die maker from Detroit?!?!

Fabroman
11-01-2013, 05:35 PM
The reason you have Halloween? The rest of you (well, maybe not you personally), looked at the USA as a role model

True, a lot of our influence is North American, in so many ways.

My biggest problem with it is, like Christmas & Easter, if you were to ask the kids at your front door demanding candy what the occasion was really about, NONE of them would have a clue. TBH, the majority of adults probably wouldn't either...

Are you sure you're not a Tool & Die maker from Detroit?!?!

Quite sure, why?

itsid
11-01-2013, 05:53 PM

irish AFAIK.

but yeah.. I don't want that either!

'sid

Fabroman
11-01-2013, 07:25 PM
True, the irish allegedly took it to the US...

It was never "celebrated" here when I was a kid...

Doc Sprocket
11-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Jesus Christ died so we could hide chocolate bunny eggs... Easter- without a doubt the single most ridiculous holiday we have in the western world.

Poboy kartman
11-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Jesus Christ died so we could hide chocolate bunny eggs... Easter- without a doubt the single most ridiculous holiday we have in the western world.

Well he was born so a fat man in a red suit could come down chimneys to bring toys to little kids. :rolleyes: I believe we got that idea from Germany.

Poboy kartman
11-02-2013, 06:56 AM
irish AFAIK.

but yeah.. I don't want that either!

'sid

America definitely didn't get the tradition from Ireland as it's origins go back before the appearance of any Irish or European people. It's based on the modern day Mexican holiday of "Day of the dead" which gets it's origin from the indigenous Aztecs hundreds of years ago.

Edit: I need to clarify the above. While I believe the practice of celebrating the holiday in America comes from the Aztecs, that's only the motivation for the celebration. It's also where we get the skeletons from. But the bats, spiders, witches and pumpkins are a different story. Perhaps an evolution from the Celts tradition as well.

The other part of Halloween is the actual way in which it is celebrated. Definitely trick or treat comes from the ancient Celts from the area that is now Ireland. The costumes could come from there ( most likely ) or from the day of the dead tradition and are probably a mix of both.

fowler
11-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Best way to stop the trick or treaters I've found

Live in a 1890s house
Have a huge garden with big dark bushes hanging over the path

Lastly
Turn the reticent on

No random kids going by

Poboy kartman
11-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Best way to stop the trick or treaters I've found

Live in a 1890s house
Have a huge garden with big dark bushes hanging over the path

Lastly
Turn the reticent on

No random kids going by

Wow! 180 reaction to the holiday than me. It's a dying tradition in America and that saddens me. I only got 10 kids this year and my mom less than 20.I think a few pennies worth of candy is a small sacrifice for the price of admission. I really enjoy seeing the little ones in the various costumes. I base the quality and quantity of candy dispensed on the effort put forth by the older kids. ...... I get enjoyment from seeing the little ones enjoying themselves in the real world. Done properly, the tradition ingrains a message to the young ones that respecting your elders and reacting to the rules results in rewards.

But if I wanted to discourage trick or treaters, I would just put a dummy dressed like a bum with a "Will work for food" sign in the front yard.

What's a reticent?

Cam Tunstall
11-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Hello guys new to this need some advice I'm in the uk and need a manco dingo kart single seat where can I get one?????

Doc Sprocket
11-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Hello guys new to this need some advice I'm in the uk and need a manco dingo kart single seat where can I get one?????

It certainly won't be in THIS thread. Try your local online classifieds.

Fabroman
11-03-2013, 04:34 PM
...Which brings us back to the original topic: It's really annoying when noobs post totally random & unrelated questions in an existing thread as opposed to clicking the "NEW THREAD" button at the top of the page :toetap05:

rocketkart
11-03-2013, 05:00 PM
you ever call up pizza hut and ask them if thay have any pizza? i do it every time. call them up and say....... do you guys have any pizza. i guess i'm waiting for them to say na we got everything but. lol

Doc Sprocket
11-03-2013, 05:27 PM
you ever call up pizza hut and ask them if thay have any pizza? i do it every time. call them up and say....... do you guys have any pizza. i guess i'm waiting for them to say na we got everything but. lol

Dood... You need a hobby... :lolgoku:

(Actually, I am reminded of Monty Python's "Cheese Shop" sketch. Good times... for those of us old enough)

rocketkart
11-03-2013, 05:29 PM
i do have a hobby. lol Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?

rocketkart
11-03-2013, 05:51 PM
My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the **** she is.

rocketkart
11-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.
Albert Einstein

Fabroman
11-03-2013, 06:42 PM

Dood... You need a hobby... :lolgoku:

Hey, don't mock, I went to KFC once & they were out of chicken... (no, seriously...)

rocketkart
11-03-2013, 07:20 PM
i went to mcdonalds once and they were out of cheeseburgers. i like to take my friends to Krystals and thay never heard of it and go thru the dive thru and order 20 Krystal burgers and seeing the reaction i get fome there face it's so funny...... are you really going to eat 20 cheeseburgers. Krystal burgers are mini cheeseburgers like white castle.

carter
11-04-2013, 12:54 AM
Hey, don't mock, I went to KFC once & they were out of chicken... (no, seriously...)

That's happened to me several times, I started going to popeyes after the 5th one.

firemanjim
01-09-2014, 11:27 PM
Its REEAAALLLLYYY annoying when you find a great deal on a go kart. (Not the one from last night) JUST to get PLOWED into by a dumb,drunk, schmuck high on pills to top it off...... My wife ,and 3 youngest were with me. They are ok. Wife is sore. I went to ER (by box) with bad neck,head n shoulder pain. Busted my ankle on the brake pedal. Got crutches..... :censored:
I think my tahoe is totaled. The frame may be bent. Look at the gap along the door. Big at the top, nothing at the bottom. Dimple in the quarter panel, from glass to fender lip.......

:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: To top it off........ sonuvaB DOESNT HAVE INSURANCE....... I ALMOST beat his butt before he could even get out of his truck. Instead, i slammed the door into him,hitting his head and knees, pinning him in the door opening. Then a witness pulled me back and told me to go sit down. I did....... but the dude gave the door a "hip check" and then held him using the door as I had done. He kept saying,"Im not drunk.I didnt hit you. I gotta go ,it wasnt me..... " With all the witnesses that stopped, he would not hve gotten anywhere......
Meds kickin in..... :wai::thumbsup:..... good night, and keep safe.... :cheers2:

landuse
01-10-2014, 12:04 AM
Aaaaah man!!!!! That sucks. At least the family are all fine. Here it is not manditory to have insurance, so it is usually a 50/50 chance that you are going to have to foot the bill. I hope you heal up soon, cos the ankle is going to keep you out of work

Fabroman
01-10-2014, 02:38 AM
Busted my ankle on the brake pedal. Got crutches..... :censored:

The best advice I can give you (obviously, from experience) Is GET A BOOT! It'll make life soooooo much easier...

I think my tahoe is totaled.

Nah, that'll buff out... :lolgoku:

No, seriously, depending on age & condition, it's fixable IF they know what they're doing...

fowler
01-10-2014, 03:41 AM
Stupid bastard
Don't know why people think they can drive drunk
They might think they can do it great
But when drunk u think everything u do is great
Good to here no who was badly hurt

Don't know how it works over there
But if he didn't have insurance here then he'd still have to pay
Your insurance company would take him to court over it

zbuck
01-10-2014, 07:57 AM
Glad to hear that your family is okay. The question is, how are you doing? Here in Indiana you only have to have minimum liability vehicle insurance. Which is better than no insurance at all. I have un-insured motorists insurance on my policy. Let your insurance take care of it and go after the non insured guy. I will be willing to bet that he does not have pot to pee in and a bucket to throw it out off. Good luck on your out come.

firemanjim
01-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Nah, that'll buff out... :lolgoku:

No, seriously, depending on age & condition, it's fixable IF they know what they're doing...

LoL .... I wish.... Think the frame is twisted. No good......

O ,and to clarify, I only hurt/bruised my ankle, thank you know who.... Its the ankle Ive previously tore up, cracked bones and foot surgery. Its never been the same, now it just hurts all the time.... and now ,well it hurts more..... thanks for the get well wishes....

Half-breeder
01-11-2014, 03:06 AM
... your wife drives your car into the house...:censored:!

fowler
01-11-2014, 04:52 AM
Lol
Sorry

That's not the best look

What's really annoying

When the city your on is havering the hottest day for 8 years(44*c) and u have to work it
Working on the sun doing stall tests on a dump truck

Then u have to go inside the truck that's now red hot the fix **** ups made by people who are apparently the best (cat workers on cat engines)
So everything's red hot
Air temp is peaking the 60s

Then once you have done that then u have to fit a million stupid guards to suit the safety requirements of your client (FMG fortescue metals group one of the worlds top miners)
Then u find half the stupid guards don't fit

Answer this simple question
If u were to so how climb right into the front of the running engine and grab the harmonic balencer then it take your hand off do u
A blame the company for unsafe work place
B realise your a total ****-wit and deserve it

Them after a 12 1/2 hr shift u come home and there's no beer

zbuck
01-11-2014, 07:37 AM
... your wife drives your car into the house...:censored:!

:oops: Look Honey deco art. Like my late Father used to tell me, I can fix dumb but I can not fix stupid.

machinist@large
01-11-2014, 01:24 PM
......Then after a 12 1/2 hr shift u come home and there's no beer

:surrender: :oops: :funnypost:

Amen brother. There's a great many people in this world that have no clue what it takes to keep the world around them running....

firemanjim
01-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Beer, makin life better, 12 ounces at a time...... lol

c00p
01-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Beer, makin life better, 12 ounces at a time...... lol

Just bottled my first home brew tonight. A coopers dig lager kit. Preliminary taste test was positive. Now I'm having a Red Hook long hammer IPA :cheers2:

fowler
01-11-2014, 09:59 PM
And now im back today

But lucky it's only 42*c (fml)

Note it's Sunday today

Rustydog2010
01-12-2014, 01:14 AM
Ha! I was out ridding dirt bikes all day. Some of us have to live the hard life. :stir:

Fabroman
01-12-2014, 07:13 AM
Hey fowler, I'm guessing it would suck to be you right now; a week ago you had a cyclone heading your way, now you have fires out there?...