PDA

View Full Version : First kart.. need help.

xxmustang281xx
04-08-2012, 04:41 PM
ok guys so I am building my first kart.. well, its more of a dune buggy. its big. not sure if im going 2 seater or 4 seater yet. i got a Honda CB360 motor that runs perfect for it, so it will have plenty of power. I have minor fabrication skills. I have a mig welder, cutting torch, grinder, etc. so far all I have is the basic frame (just the bottom part) finished and welded together. Now its time for the harder part. Steering/suspension/etc. I dont really know where to go from here, or if I even did this frame correctly. Pretty much just winging it. I really hope I can use what I made, cause this frame is how I acquired my welding skills, and it took me hours and hours to do. This part is really heavy, and really big square piping. The rest will not be. I have 1" and 1.5" round piping to do the rest. I need some info on where to start building from here. I attached a few pics. the first is before it was welded, but this is exactly how it looks now only welded together. the 2nd is the motor on the bike that im using. should I use 4wheeler parts, or car parts for the steering/suspension? i have suspension off of a motorcycle, a 99mustang, and a 4wheeler. not sure what to use. I dont have much experience at all with this stuff so as much help as can be provided will be appreciated. thanks! :thumbsup:

r_chez_08
04-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Can I suggest drawing up good plans first? I would not make it up as you go a long with a suspended build (intact any build!)

xxmustang281xx
04-08-2012, 04:49 PM
ok and how exactly should I go about this? like i dont know where to start from here.. lol

souperman000
04-08-2012, 05:17 PM
just draw your idea on a piece of paper and come up with a plan of how and with what you are going to build it before hitting the garage. just slow down and think it through. I suggest the 4wheeler for suspension

r97
04-08-2012, 05:57 PM
4 wheeler for suspension parts, although custom would be best. Looks like you got a good start, as said already planning is key!

You sure that's the proper way to store a motorcycle?

EDIT: I would stick with one or two seats, you might want more power for a 4 seater.

xxmustang281xx
04-08-2012, 07:31 PM
^^haha thats just when i was working on getting the motor out of the bike. its sitting upright in the corner now. and i need some help with the plans.. i dont know how to mount any of the steering/suspension components whatsoever. what should i get steering components from? a junk lawnmower? would that work? then would it be possible to use the steering and everything from a mower, springs/shocks/struts from a 99 mustang, and wheels/tires from a 4wheeler? or should i use the wheels from my VW? i have 4 lug 15" car wheels/tires.. I am just lost from this point lol I dont know where to begin. like from the steering wheel to the wheels i have no clue at all what im doing

Kentguy13
04-09-2012, 09:13 PM
lol... Ive been in that boat before. My first cart i had a general idea what I wanted... but "wing'd it" during the build. My next one will be designed before I touch the welder.

My advice: at least determine what you want to do with it. Go fast and off road? Go slow and putt around a campground? Carry passengers?

My next question would be budget? If you don't want to throw money at this project, use all the parts you just listed. If money is not the issue, there are some good suppliers listed on this forum and I've also found a few others using the google shopping link. My first cart was a cheap $200 rebuild.... my last cart was a $1200 build from scratch. I'd be willing to bet if you answer those questions, you'll start to figure out which parts you want to use. ;)

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask specific questions when you start putting it together. I love watching frankenbuilds.

ryan

falcon1
04-09-2012, 10:35 PM
For passenger amount, think about what you want it for. Most ppl won't want to be racing around at high speeds in the back of a dune buggy. So if you want it for speed, go with the two seater. If speed is not for you and you just want to cruise around off road, then go with a four.

xxmustang281xx
04-09-2012, 10:54 PM
^^high speed, lot of acceleration, off roading (and some onroading lol). 2 seater it is. ive been looking at different plans and such all day today.. its sinking in a little, haha. i just dont know how to do the axles/steering shaft, etc. im actually picking up a cart tomorrow (2seater, 6hp) so i will have that one for a base to go off of. wish me luck! and thanks for the help! oh and btw, this is a 100% FREE project.

Fabroman
04-10-2012, 11:41 AM
For the size you're building I don't think a 360 engine will be enough. You may want to rethink the size

falcon1
04-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Wow good luck then. Some people will donate an otherwise expensive part if they learn you are using it for a project. I hope you pull it off.

xxmustang281xx
04-11-2012, 01:26 PM
I picked up 2 karts yesterday. Not exactly sure what they are.. I know they are the ones they sell at Tractor Supply (probably made pretty cheap). One has a 5hp Subaru engine, and the other has a 6.5HP engine. The 6.5hp is bigger, and made stronger, but it is a 1 wheel drive setup. The 5hp is a solid axle. I am using the 6.5HP one for my project instead. The frame we were building is going to be a slow project, getting parts for free here and there, and making it more of a dune buggy with car suspension/engine/etc. So, I got the motor off the Honda bike, and there is plenty of room for it on the 6.5HP kart. I am taking the motor off of it, putting the bike motor on, and doing some fabbing.
Now I need help with this one. How should I get rid of the 1 wheel drive setup, and convert to a solid axle? what all parts will i need to do this? any info on this greatly appreciated. Also I am cutting the roll cage off, and making my own with 1.5" round piping. I am cutting the kart and entending it between 18" - 24". should I cut it at the front, or the rear? Then I will have to make a longer steering shaft, but that should be easy. Also after its extended, I have suspension to add. How will I do this? I have the springs off the bike for the front, and springs off my mustang for the back. The front is from a bike, so Its like a coilover setup (shock inside of spring), but for the rear, I have the whole suspension from the mustang to play with. I have shocks from the front, struts from the rear, and coilsprings. I need info on how exactly to add a suspension setup like this to a cart. The front has little 3" long springs next to the wheels already, but that isnt nearly enough for what Im using it for. Im going to have to get bigger wheels/tires too, the ones on it are tiny. I will use lawnmower wheels or something similar. This will be much easier to do since Its not being built from scratch, and im just upgrading one thats already done. Any help would be great! Thanks!

falcon1
04-11-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't know how to switch wheel drive but could you put the gear onto the axle?

xxmustang281xx
04-14-2012, 09:23 AM
what do u mean? im thinking.. weld a solid axle straight through a sprocket then chain from sprocket to sprocket on motor... simple.. would that work?? seems too easy...

falcon1
04-14-2012, 01:37 PM
I think it would. Don't see why not. You may need to fiddle with it to make it work.