PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help? DuroMax 16HP?

rcarteraz07
04-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Would this be an okay engine to use? Do any of you know if there are options to increase performance for this engine? I'm wanting to build an off-road kart/buggy and I want it to have decent power but I don't want to spend $1000 on just the engine. Thanks for the help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DuroMax-16-HP-Go-Kart-Log-Splitter-Gas-Power-Engine-Motor-XP16HPE-Electric-Start-/200732714430?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebc9a25be#ht_4993wt_1054

r_chez_08
04-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Yeah that's a good engine.
For an offroad buggy I reccomend you get a torque converter. A comet 40 would be good.
However they run at around $300. You may be better off looking for a used bike engine. What sort of buggy?

Some gx390 parts bolt up to that engine. The parts are expensive however.

rcarteraz07
04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Would the Choke Control need to be removed from this engine in order use on a kart? Yes, I've been looking at torque converters but as you said they are pretty expensive. The problem is that I'm not very motor savvy so I don't think I have the skills to get a used bike engine and mount it for use on a kart... I'm not sure where I'm going with this kart/buggy right now.. I'm going over and over different designs and plans.. Not sure if I want to try my hand a build without plan or if I should just get some... A lot of thinking and planning to do.

Do you know which parts are for sure not a match with the 390? And if there are other options? Thanks!

r_chez_08
04-03-2012, 02:46 PM
The choke can remain, however, the low oil sensor (if there is one) should be disconnected.

www.edge.au.com have some cool buggies. I would seriously reccomend you get some plans if you plan to build anything with suspension. Makes life easier and safer.

That motor with a centrifugal clutch would be OK, but with a torque converter you could get double the speed or double the torque, no joke.

I am pretty sure that most parts except the crank, piston and rod fit.
Have you considered a harbour freight predator (http://www.harborfreight.com/predator-420-cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-certified-for-california-68306.html)?
You could probably find a 20% off coupon easliy, and shipping on the DuroMax is a killer.

rcarteraz07
04-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Are the predator's good? I've heard mix reviews... If I could find a coupon it would drop to like $280 which is cheaper than the Duromax and there's a local store.. But that's if I find the coupon. As for the Duromax it has more horse and electric start which is what I want and it's actually free shipping.

I'll have to check out that site, thanks! And sounds like torque converter would be best.

Thanks for everything!

rcarteraz07
04-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Are the predator's good? I've heard mix reviews... If I could find a coupon it would drop to like $280 which is cheaper than the Duromax and there's a local store.. But that's if I find the coupon. As for the Duromax it has more horse and electric start which is what I want and it's actually free shipping.

I'll have to check out that site, thanks! And sounds like torque converter would be best.

Thanks for everything!

Nevermind, it does have electric start but still 3hp less. Does that make a big difference?

ArachnidBrosMN
04-03-2012, 05:27 PM
I bought TWO DuroMax 16hp engines two months ago. This weekend, my bro and I are going to put new oil in them and start them for the 1st time. They arrived for FREE shipping... and arrived very promptly after we ordered them. So far... it seems like we got a pretty darn good deal. If there is anything wrong with them when we start them this weekend... I will make sure to let you know. 16hp sounds like a lot of power for a great price to me... it is going to ROCK to get them going!!!!!!!! Good luck on your project!!!!

ArachnidBrosMN
04-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Sorry... here's our builds... and engines: http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15522

r_chez_08
04-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Pretty sure the predator 420 and duromax 420 are pretty much the same engine made by different chineese companies. Up to you. They make similar HP.

The arachnid may be a good build for you, check out there plans on www.spidercarts.com
Also check out the dirt devil on www.donsdiyden.net

rcarteraz07
04-04-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm thinking of going with the Predator but I want to find a coupon... I swear I just had a HF ad that had the 20% off one but I think my wife has already trashed it!

r_chez_08
04-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Do a bit of googling. They are easy to find.

raposak
04-04-2012, 02:17 PM
I have the Duramax 16 on my 2 seater and it works flawlessly. I have it hooked to a comet 40. All I did to it was changed the intake, remove the governor and a nice free flow exhaust and it pulls like crazy even with over 400 lbs of riders in the cart. I'd buy one again in a heart beat.

rcarteraz07
04-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Would a 250cc motorcycle engine run a kart faster than the Duromax or 420cc Predator?

Bluethunder3320
04-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Would a 250cc motorcycle engine run a kart faster than the Duromax or 420cc Predator?

generally yes

the predator/duromax arent made for speed, they are made to be engines in pressure washers, tractors, generators, etc.

most 250cc motorcycle engines have more horses than those

rcarteraz07
04-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Sweet! So I should try to go for a motorcycle engine versus a Duromax/Predator if I want some more power... Hmm.. I'm so lost as to what I want to do.. Part of me says build a simpler kart for now and the other part says I should go a little bigger, not crazy big though.

Jake.B
04-05-2012, 09:02 AM
The yamaha 250 2 stroke dirtbikes put out 39hp stock. Most if not all are manual transmission though. Im not sure if you want to use a clutch.

r_chez_08
04-06-2012, 04:40 AM
If you want a predator, you better make your mind up, cos here's a one day 25% coupon good for Easter Sunday
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/honda-clone-engines/60345-predators-90-bux-maybe.html

rcarteraz07
04-06-2012, 10:28 AM
If you want a predator, you better make your mind up, cos here's a one day 25% coupon good for Easter Sunday
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/honda-clone-engines/60345-predators-90-bux-maybe.html

Thanks man... I just ordered a KZ250 but I'm going to give this to my Grandpa so he can get the 212. He's got a little go kart he has a blast on but the engine seized. Hard to believe he's 68 years old!! lol

ArachnidBrosMN
04-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Got 'er running! 16hp Clone. Runs great so far!:wai:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCMSkQa__uU

rcarteraz07
04-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Got 'er running! 16hp Clone. Runs great so far!:wai:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCMSkQa__uU

That sounds awesome man!! Good job guys!

HighSchool-Gokart-Project
01-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Alight ive got a 16 hp duromax engine i just bought.
this is for my school project so i have to finish it in the next couple months.
i already have a go kart buggy, but cant figure out how to hook it up
i started up the engine and the shaft started spinning so...if i hook it up to the go kart as soon as i start it the go kart is going to leave me behind? Can anyone help me out? what do i need to do?

smgs92
01-14-2013, 11:21 AM
well you need some sort of cvt
a clutch is cheaper but you said buggy so I'm going to assume offroad which means you should be running a torque convertor a comet 40-44 series

Fabroman
01-14-2013, 08:09 PM
what do i need to do?

For starters, you should start your own thread instead of hijacking someone elses...

As smgs said, you need a CVT or, at the very least, a centrifugal clutch