PDA

View Full Version : Mods to get a "6HP" to 10-11 HP ? Manco Dingo

soulmusic
02-15-2012, 01:47 PM
I've been rebuilding a Manco Dingo 286.. With a Techumseh Powersport OHH60 (6hp) .

Whats it take to get one of these to 10-11HP?

- bone stock OHH60 - other than..
-header/silencer is installed
-cone style air filter is installed

remove limiter?
bore main jet?
:surrender:

r_chez_08
02-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Remove the governor.
Use a thinner head gasket.
Plug chop and find the right main jet size
If you have access to a machine shop, shave the head

This will probably get you 9-10hp and 5500rpm

Any higher rpm then see if arc make a billet flywheel and rod.
See if you can get stiffer valve springs, and ratio rockers and or a high lift/ duration camshaft.

Brandon1023
02-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Couldn't you replace the rod, piston head, and rings, with stronger ones and have a relatively fail-proof engine at extreme rpm?

r_chez_08
02-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Yeah, you would want a new flywheel too, and possibly a carb to supply the extra fuel for really high rpm.
Here is the billet rod that supposedly fits 5-6hp OHH motors

http://www.arcracing.com/servlet/the-274/Briggs-%26-Stratton-Rod/Detail

Bluethunder3320
02-15-2012, 05:12 PM
what is your budget? may be cheaper to get a 11 or 13 horse clone

slideways
02-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Tecumseh OHV's are not popular anymore.. actually never really were. You would probably be better off selling it for $75 on craigslist and just getting a 6.5hp clone and doing the mods to that to get you to where you want. The only reason i say that is that there is so many mods to do to those engines cheaply compared to the Tec's. And instead of using the big block clone which would require a decent amount of modification to your mounts and clutch/drive system

soulmusic
02-16-2012, 06:32 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys..:thumbsup:

I'm trying to keep the budget under $1000 .. There's about 300 in it now. The engine is in great shape, and even though I'd like more HP /easier modding, I'll stick with this engine for now.

- Would heavier valve springs (without a new rod) allow the engine to do 5000rpm without breaking consistently?

So thanks to your suggestions I'll try this stuff first...

- rejet the carb
-remove limiter
-find a thin gasket(maybe the 5.5 OHH gasket?) to increase compression a tad
-widen the plug gap/index the plug
-new , stiffer valve springs

If that doesn't "do it" for me I'll look into the nice billet rod r chez.

What do you guys think of removing ever other recoil fan fin?

Got some seemingly good tips from here:
http://www.affordablegokarts.com/performance_basics.php

slideways
02-16-2012, 09:14 AM
In a Tecumseh.. the rod will be the first thing to break. They have a reputation for breaking at stock rpms. I know i broke 2 on my karts years ago when they were stock. This is why nobody makes hotrod parts for them. They just were so failure prone. Plus with Briggs out there everyone just went with Briggs parts and Tecumseh got left behind.

klicky96
02-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Tecumseh OHV's are not popular anymore.. actually never really were. You would probably be better off selling it for $75 on craigslist and just getting a 6.5hp clone and doing the mods to that to get you to where you want. The only reason i say that is that there is so many mods to do to those engines cheaply compared to the Tec's. And instead of using the big block clone which would require a decent amount of modification to your mounts and clutch/drive system

I strongly have to disagree. I'd rather use my Tecumseh than a chinese engine. Like an engine off of a Baja 96cc MiniBike, those engines are the worst.

crazyman
02-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Back in the day when I was a whippersnapper, a tecumseh would always outrev a briggs in stock form if you manually overrode the governer. My guess is that it is the big bore/short stroke approach. Either way, it would need a rod at the very least.

klicky96
02-16-2012, 10:19 AM
I love both Tecumseh and Briggs, don't get me wrong. But I put a lot of torture through my 5.5HP Tecumseh OHV SnowKing and she gets me anywhere I wanna go. 62MPH Tops, gets my kart to full speed in about 6 seconds on flat asphalt, and no, it's not a racer, just regular kart.

Badot
02-16-2012, 07:50 PM
I love both Tecumseh and Briggs, don't get me wrong. But I put a lot of torture through my 5.5HP Tecumseh OHV SnowKing and she gets me anywhere I wanna go. 62MPH Tops, gets my kart to full speed in about 6 seconds on flat asphalt, and no, it's not a racer, just regular kart.

I would LOVE to know what kind of transmission you have in there.

Assuming you and your kart weigh 150 lbs and your wheels have absolutely zero rotational inertia, 0-60 in 6 seconds would mean you have perfect transmission efficiency with your engine constantly producing 5.5hp throughout the range, and this doesn't even include any wind resistances.

klicky96
02-16-2012, 10:31 PM
have a simple chain drive from my clutch to sprocket. no trans at all. but when i rebuilt my clutch and made some mods and she gets great torque and speed. My kart runs on about 8 inch tires. sits real low. i'm not braggin or anything. i'm just saying, tecumseh is a better motor than a lot of people think.

soulmusic
02-17-2012, 06:43 AM
Thanks again guys.. I'll wait on removing the gov. until I can get the rod and valve springs.:thumbsup:

I'll try to get some pics to put up and start a build thread, I could really use alot of help...lol

crazyman
02-18-2012, 01:58 AM
Sorry.. My experiences only involve free revving in neutral... In every instance, a stock tecumseh would outrev a briggs when wound out manually. Both in quickness and intestity. I think a hopped up tec would whoop a briggs, but there is less aftermarket support..

realfast89gt
06-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Do a search for the batman hop up kit online. David Ables in texas charges $125 and almost doubles hp on these engines.

My brother sent out his ohh50 and it is like a different engine now. More compression, higher revving, and you can definately feel the difference in power.

Only issue is he is very busy and it took 2 months to get the engine back.

If you decide to go this route, when you first make contact with him get his cell # so youo have a good way of reaching him. He will go a week or longer without checking emails or his home phone sometimes.

And he has his ohh50 on the same kart as your.