PDA

View Full Version : Wiring up a GSX600F motor to a go kart!

patthehat033
12-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Okay, so previously I have gotten a 600 motor after trading up quite a bit on craigslist. The motor is not quite in running condition yet, it needs carburetors, and I need to get the ignition system working properly.

The guy supplied me with the ignition coils. I have bought a wiring harness of the internet, and a Ignitor, which should get me going. I am a little confused on wiring up the ignitor though.

On this diagram http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84749 (3rd post) what is the power in wire? I am going to wire up the Ignitor with my own wiring instead of the wiring harness so I can bypass all the switches etc. and so I know my wiring back and forth.

Thanks if anyone knows that would be incredibly helpful!!:confused::confused:

daniel7250
12-17-2011, 07:22 PM
if yout dont have all the gear you will need a few switches. the power comes in from the alternator from here it goes to the kill switch and the fuse box, the red wire is basically the common. from there its pretty easy to follow. if you need i can redo the diagram for just the engine ignition.

frankysfree
12-17-2011, 07:37 PM
I also have a katana engine im putting into an odyssey.

The easiest thing to do if you arent running lights is to build a new harness or cut yours apart and only use what is necessary.

I havent checked yet but dyna ignitions usually make standalone ignition systems for most bikes that will let you do away with everything except the engine itself. When i do my engine ill probly go that route if they offer one.

Banditz
12-17-2011, 08:15 PM
The ign, simply picks up a signal and tells the coils when to spark. So, as long as you send 12v to it while the ignition is on it will work. Make sure you hook up the signal wire to the coils.

Now, keep in mind you will of course have four carbs. They NEED to be syncronized. If not the bike can run, but will never be as strong as it should be. meaning you may as well have put a smaller engine on it cause your not using what you have.

In short, with that engine as long as you wire the ignition coils with power, the igniter with power, and make sure the carbs are in good working order with gas then the engine should start right up.

patthehat033
12-17-2011, 09:11 PM
What exactly is synchronizing a carburetor? I have never had to do that to one.

And for the ignition.. so normally on the harness the power goes from the alternator to the kill switch and then from the kill switch circuit to the coil through, the coil into the ignitor and then to ground? And then when it wants to spark the signal wires just break the circuit?

So when I wire it I should have a 12V wire going from the battery to the coil, and then have a signal wire coming from the ignitor to the coil? Does it matter which terminal of the coil I put the 12V on?

patthehat033
12-17-2011, 09:29 PM
I also have a katana engine im putting into an odyssey.

The easiest thing to do if you arent running lights is to build a new harness or cut yours apart and only use what is necessary.

I havent checked yet but dyna ignitions usually make standalone ignition systems for most bikes that will let you do away with everything except the engine itself. When i do my engine ill probly go that route if they offer one.

I am making my own custom wiring so I can make it look nicer and make it easier to use and wire. There will be one or 2 switches max.

What are your plans for the go kart with Katana engine? And how big is the engine?

Banditz
12-17-2011, 11:11 PM
You have to sync the CARBS. Meaning all four of them man. Each cylinder has its own carb. Sync'ing them means they are all set Together..Katana's had four banger's. So that means you have one carb per cylinder. Just keep in mind also, katana's were crap man. The engine's were NOT very powerful. yeah, on a kart it would likely scream! LOL But on the bikes they were a joke and commonly called a chicks bike.

Now, as for how its wired..lol. this aint gonna be easy.

Bike's use GENERATORS..Not alt. Just to be clear. A alt is ran by a belt and external. VERY few bikes have one. Almost every bike, including your's has a generator/ magneto. Its on the flywheel and as the engine turn's it creates voltage.

In actuality, it doesn't really matter which way you hook up the coils because a coil doesn't really care which way the electricity travels. It's the collapsing magnetic field that creates the spark and not the direction or movement of electricity. Most do say pos, neg, but frankly either way will work.

The engine dies, or is able to be killed by grounding out the system. So make sure you have that wired up first and foremost otherwise you will hate trying to turn it off in case something is wrong when you fire it for the first time! LOL

patthehat033
12-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Yes I understand, I have worked on a lot of engines, I just have never worked on a motorcycle engine before, I should have been more specific when I said "carburetor" without the s. Why were the Katana's considered not powerful? And yeah haha 86HP should have some decent power..

But when you say sync them does that mean you are tuning them, or what are you physically doing?

Actually on the GSX600 there is an actual alternator. It is driven by a gear inside of the motor. Normally there would be a stator, you are correct, but this one actually has an alternator. There is however a signal generator that produces a pulse of electricity that is sent to the Ignitor to trip the circuit for the coils.

Yeah I agree wiring is going to be tough. Does there need to be 12V going into the Ignitor or will the signal generator be the only electricity that actually goes into the ignitor box?

frankysfree
12-17-2011, 11:40 PM
I am making my own custom wiring so I can make it look nicer and make it easier to use and wire. There will be one or 2 switches max.

What are your plans for the go kart with Katana engine? And how big is the engine?

I took an odyssey fl250, cut the rear section off, built a boxed section and made it a swingarm. My katana engine is a 600cc but after the initial build I'll either turbo this engine or put a 1000cc engine in it. I plan to do some drag racing with it and play around on it.

patthehat033
12-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Putting a turbo on it will definitely give you some serious power! Will take a lot of tuning though. Send me some pictures if you could, is the engine already on the go kart? How are you going to wire yours?

Banditz
12-17-2011, 11:47 PM
My bad, you are correct. i forgot about those gear driven things! LOL man oh man were they akward.

Weak by bike standards bro. That engine while yes rated at 80, may have put out 70 if that. But at the same time the gsxr's out at the same time put out 110 or so...and actually did it. The bikes were also VERY heavy! Much more so than the gsxr sport bikes. Not downing them at all, they were decent bikes sometimes. but alot of them had ring issues and would smoke. Also because of the lack of power, and weight of the bike they were mounted to..they were just best used as women's bikes or starter bikes. used and thrown out or sold off dirt cheap.

As stated before, for a kart it would be awesome though..lol. Oil/Air cooled with no rad to worry about is the way to go!

The carbs can each allow however much air you want to flow through them. It's your job to hook up a flow meter and make sure tha each flow's the correct amount of fuel/air into each cyclinder. If not you could have two or more producing more power than the other two. In which case your not making the most out of your engine. Check youtube for a better explanation. You can see how to even make your own meter's!

frankysfree
12-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Putting a turbo on it will definitely give you some serious power! Will take a lot of tuning though. Send me some pictures if you could, is the engine already on the go kart? How are you going to wire yours?

I've done some turbo bikes. I'm actually building a turbo bike right now.

The swingarm is fabbed up but the engine isn't mounted in it yet.

patthehat033
12-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Oh I see what you are saying about the weight and all that, I guess that would be a big difference if you are really motorcycle savy.

And yes oil/air cooled will be a great way to go!

I will look up how to sync them tomorrow and see what happens, do they have like a valve at the inlet that allows only a certain amount of air in (not the throttle butterfly valve)?

Any ideas on the electrical questions I had?

patthehat033
12-17-2011, 11:55 PM
I've done some turbo bikes. I'm actually building a turbo bike right now.

The swingarm is fabbed up but the engine isn't mounted in it yet.

Nice dude! I am hoping to install a turbo on my car when I get one, I forgot to mention I am only 15 years old haha.

patthehat033
01-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Hey guys I have decided to completely bypass the wiring harness as I have not gotten spark yet. (I have not been able to work on the motor much lately.)

Please take a look at the wiring diagram on the 2nd to last post of this thread. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2152615#post2152615

Would that wiring work if I just use the CDI and bypass the harness?

Rustydog2010
01-08-2012, 01:07 AM
Hey mate. I was in the same position as you. I got a GPZ750 with no carbs or electrics. Finally got it running today. Don't worry about the generator just yet. Just use a 12v battery. Mine had a 9 pin ignitor. Just follow the diagram its real simple stuff. I cant see the wiring diagram for some reason. I'll look back later.

I didn't want to buy looms and all that just incase the engine has poked. But its not! Im so pleased with myself! Haha

patthehat033
01-08-2012, 01:21 AM
Hey mate. I was in the same position as you. I got a GPZ750 with no carbs or electrics. Finally got it running today. Don't worry about the generator just yet. Just use a 12v battery. Mine had a 9 pin ignitor. Just follow the diagram its real simple stuff. I cant see the wiring diagram for some reason. I'll look back later.

I didn't want to buy looms and all that just incase the engine has poked. But its not! Im so pleased with myself! Haha

Hey finally someone in the same situation as me! Good to hear you were successful. So did you use the oem wiring harness for your motor to wire it up? If so how did you bypass all the safety switches.

And I am using a 12v powersport battery, do you mean just hook 2 wires up to the ignition coil from the battery to see if it will spark when I remove a wire?

Oh and nice signature by the way hahaha.

Rustydog2010
01-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Hey finally someone in the same situation as me! Good to hear you were successful. So did you use the oem wiring harness for your motor to wire it up? If so how did you bypass all the safety switches.

Hey, I didn't have the original harness so I made it from scratch, just to prove that the engine isn't a dud. Can you post the wiring diagram here? We have to be a member of that other forum to view it.

I have attached a diagram I managed to find for mine. To bypass the safety switches all I did was earthed both pin 3 and 10. The rest is pretty self explained really.

And I am using a 12v powersport battery, do you mean just hook 2 wires up to the ignition coil from the battery to see if it will spark when I remove a wire?

No, no, no. It was just that, that other guy was going on about getting the generator working to power the battery, to then power the ignition system. Just use a charged up 12v battery and just connect the ignition system straight onto it. If I was you, which I was a week ago. :D I would just get some lengths of wire and a soldering iron, then just go to town. I'll get a picture of my setup after tea.

Oh and nice signature by the way hahaha.

Cheers!

Any other questions, just shoot.

Jeremy.

patthehat033
01-08-2012, 10:56 PM
I'll send you the real diagram and then the one I contructed myself. Couldn't I technically bench test the coil alone by just using a battery, and a normally off switch?

Rustydog2010
01-08-2012, 11:30 PM
I'll send you the real diagram and then the one I contructed myself. Couldn't I technically bench test the coil alone by just using a battery, and a normally off switch?

You could, but that doesn't give a great indication when its under load. Added, how will you check the spark? You cant really just look at it. I would just check the primary and secondary windings with an ohm meter, that will give you a reasonable idea if they are okay.

Jeremy.

patthehat033
01-09-2012, 05:14 AM
I'd just have a wire going from the neg. And pos. Of my battery to the two small terminals on the coil. On one of the wire I'd have a normally off switch, so I could flip it on and off real fast to break the circuit. Then I'd have a ground wire running from the spark plug and big terminal of the coil to ground them both. If that all makes sense.

patthehat033
01-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I have been busy.

Here is the wiring diagram I sketched up.
Do you think this would work? If I completely disregarded the oem wiring harness?
http://i40.tinypic.com/2d7j0is.jpg

I thought this might work better.
http://i41.tinypic.com/312buk8.jpg

Rustydog2010
01-13-2012, 05:00 PM
The first one has no positive feed to the CDI? The second is looking alright. My only question is how many pins does the CDI have? Is there not some pins for all the safety switches? Can you post the wiring diagram up here?

patthehat033
01-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Yeah that is why I revised the first wiring diagram haha. There are 7 safety switches, and then the 4 ignition wires. 11 wires total. Yes I will post the wiring diagram when I get home I am on my phone.

Thanks for the help!

patthehat033
01-13-2012, 11:26 PM
So I can't seem to find the oem wiring diagram. I had found it previously on google, but not I can't seem to find the website again, maybe you would be able to find it.

I have the wiring harness for the 96' GSX600F and from the 89' GSX600F.

So either one will work. The 89' one only has a neutral safety switch and a tachometer wire coming out of the cdi from what I can remember. So that might be easier to wire up.

Rustydog2010
01-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Is this your one? (http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/hmmmnz2/suzuki/?action=view&current=katana60089-96.jpg)

patthehat033
01-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Well that was quick! haha

Yes that is the one that will work with the 89' harness. The 96' harness has the signal generator wires, the tach wire, and 4 other wires added to it. That's why at the bottom it says "similar."

Rustydog2010
01-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Do you know whether the '89 and the '96 CDI are the same? Or same amount of pins?

If you are looking for any wirring diagrams for road bikes, go here! It's a great resource. (http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=2322761#2322761)

patthehat033
01-14-2012, 02:09 AM
I am pretty sure all the GSX600's 88-96 have the same cdi. Tomorrow I will try the 89' harness plug in the cdi and see if its works. I'll let you know.

patthehat033
01-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Okay so it seems that the connectors for the 89' do not fit the cdi. When I bought the cdi, it said it would work for the 88-96 model.

frankysfree
01-14-2012, 03:21 PM
For under $400 you could get a Dyna 2000 performance ignition and that would do away with the CDI and every other thing but the coils on the engine and make it real simple to get running. Thats what im doing with my engine.

patthehat033
01-14-2012, 09:11 PM
I would if I had that type of budget. ;)

But I already bought the CDI, so I'll try to work with what I have and see what happens.

frankysfree
01-14-2012, 09:20 PM
I would if I had that type of budget. ;)

But I already bought the CDI, so I'll try to work with what I have and see what happens.

No problem. Thought id throw it out there as an option. Its going to take me awhile to get that kinda change together myself...

Rustydog2010
01-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Did you find out how many pins your CDI has and if it will fit either of your looms? I cant really help much until I know what you have.

patthehat033
01-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Did you find out how many pins your CDI has and if it will fit either of your looms? I cant really help much until I know what you have.

12 pins all together. 8 on one connector, 4 on another.

The 96' wiring harness connectors fit the CDI. The CDI came from a 96' I just got the harness with it off ebay.

frankysfree
01-14-2012, 09:28 PM
If ya'll need a wiring diagram i can scan the diagram in the manual and upload it or i can make you a bare bones wiring diagram.

patthehat033
01-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Either one of those would be amazing if you think you can make a diagram that would work. I am working with a CDI that is off of a 1996 Katana GSX600F, I also have the wiring harness. I also have a wiring harness from the 89' katana (that came with the motor) but it will not fit the CDI I got off ebay.

Rustydog2010
01-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Either one of those would be amazing if you think you can make a diagram that would work. I am working with a CDI that is off of a 1996 Katana GSX600F, I also have the wiring harness. I also have a wiring harness from the 89' katana (that came with the motor) but it will not fit the CDI I got off ebay.

All the GSX diagrams I have looked at only have 7 pin Ignitors? Older, newer, larger and smaller? Are you sure you can count? :arf: Just joking. I'll keep looking for a wiring diagram with a 12 pin ignitor.

For that link (wiring diagram) I posted earlier, I would do this.

patthehat033
01-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Haha well you said "Pins" so I counted the pins. There are 12 "Pins" (8 on one connector on the CDI and 4 on another connector of the CDI.)

There are 11 "Wires." (7 wires on one connector, not on the CDI, 4 wires on the other 4 connector. This is the 96' harness.)

-That is how I thought of making a diagram too, but then I tried the 89' connectors on the CDI and they did not fit, but I think the CDI will still work that way.

patthehat033
01-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Okay I have gather somed pictures of the pins, and the connectors from the 96' harness that fit the 96' CDI.

http://i43.tinypic.com/jhvddv.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/5x76mf.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ntegia.jpg

LOL don't mind the hairs.. they are from my dog.

patthehat033
01-22-2012, 04:39 PM
I will have some time for the next weekend or two, do you think I should go with the wiring diagram that Rusty made and just see what happens?

Rustydog2010
01-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Yea man, sorry I haven't replied.
I dont get it aye! Maybe the the 7 pins is for the ignition system, then the other 4 are for something else. Like I said all the wiring diagrams I have seen have only the 7 wires in for the IC ignitor. Maybe just try it and see if you get spark. If not post back and we can have another dig.

Edit: I would look at adding a fuse in positive supply just in case. I'm not totally sure how much it will be drawing though.

patthehat033
01-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Hey no problem man, thanks for all the advice! I couldn't find it either. I think the 7 wires are safety switches and the 4 wires go to the coils for sure. But I think if it said on ebay that this cdi would work for years 1988 thru 1996 then I suppose the wiring diagram me and you agreed on should work.

Man if only I had more time on my hands I really just want to hear this baby roar!

Rustydog2010
02-04-2012, 01:38 AM
How'd ya go brother?

patthehat033
02-04-2012, 11:17 AM
How'd ya go brother?

Well unfortunately I haven't got to try and wire it up since I have been so busy with hockey and school. But hockey ends in a week or two so after that.. this baby is going to roar!! :auto:

Sorry for the be lated response, I am eager too. :thumbsup:

patthehat033
02-05-2012, 12:16 AM
It says you removed your post. But I got an email with your message in it, but couldn't open the picture because it says the deleted your post.

Rustydog2010
02-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Lol what happened there?

Here is the picture.

Hopefully it will work this time. I would use your original wiring harness. Just cut out the safety switches and add an on/off switch.

Easy-peasey :worried2:

patthehat033
02-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Okay the post you just made showed up. But the other one is still not appearing.

Rustydog2010
02-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Did you see the edited post? Have you seen that diagram before?

patthehat033
02-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Hey sorry I was watching the super bowl etc. And yes it did show up! Okay so I think I am just going to play it safe here and make my own custom wiring (the wiring diagram we sketched up) and bypass the harness. Because I have already tried the harness many times and it did not seem to work. There are different safety switches on each model so it is hard to know. But! This diagram shows me exactly what wires are necessary for powering the cdi. And the answer to that, is the wires we came up with on the wiring diagram we came up with. If you compare that one to this one, they are exactly the same other than all the useless switches that are between the battery and the 12V Orange/White wire going to the coils.

I think this plan is going to work! :D

Rustydog2010
02-06-2012, 12:24 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7008/6827960257_2f59000394_z.jpg

Speaking of custom wiring, here ya go! This is my setup. Ignitor top left of the engine coils on the top. Nice and colourful. haha.

patthehat033
02-06-2012, 06:27 AM
Haha now that is a pro wiring job! Haha mine should like somewhat similiar to that. Did you bypass the stock harness? Also are you running your 12V ignition wire to your battery?

patthehat033
02-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Hey just want to let you know I had an hour free tonight from my studies and hockey so I decided to do some wiring. I found all the wires in the harness by un-taping all of it and cut all the necessary wires etc. and wired everything up as we sketched.

The CDI is ready to be hooked up now that I have eliminated the whole entire wiring harness I have a lot more freedom with wire positioning. I will get a new spark plug and wire it up maybe Wednesday or Friday depending on how much time I have and see what happens!

Also there was only 2 safety switches. Not sure what they were for but I cut both of them out. It seemed to me as if they were open circuit switches when they allow the CDI to work, and were grounded when they wanted to kill the CDI. :thumbsup:

frankysfree
02-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Also there was only 2 safety switches. Not sure what they were for but I cut both of them out. It seemed to me as if they were open circuit switches when they allow the CDI to work, and were grounded when they wanted to kill the CDI. :thumbsup:

Actually the opposite. When i remove safety switches on bikes, i bypass them by taking a jumper wire and connecting the two wires together...

patthehat033
02-07-2012, 05:15 PM
So when the switches are preventing the cdi from working they are open circuits. But when they are allowing the cdi to work the wires are connected?

If this is the case then then I am confused what to do on one of the switches. 2 of the safety wires are going into a three pin connector that contains those 2 wires and a ground wire. Wouldn't this connection be grounded when the CDI is allowed to work.

patthehat033
02-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Update:

So tonight I hooked it all up. In the process it became pitch black outside and I have been using my phone as a flashlight as it has the feature. Anyways, I am still not getting spark. I am getting 12V at both sides of the coil. I think I would be able to see the spark even in the darkness. I am using kind of a bad spark plug, but good enough that it should spark. I can try a new one. But I think it has to do with those safety switches.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Just testing the voltage. I am getting 12.3V on each side of the coil. When I crank the engine I am getting around 9.3-9.8V at each coil. Do you think the starter is knocking down the voltage too much for it to get spark? I also couldn't tell if the circuit was being broken or not by the signal generator. I did not notice the voltage go from 9V to 0V then to 9V again. It was just a constant 9V. I don't know if if a multimeter would pick that up though because of how fast the circuit is switching.

I also made sure the spark plug was properly grounded. It was reading 12.3 volts so I know that is good.

Rustydog2010
02-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Haha now that is a pro wiring job! Haha mine should like somewhat similiar to that. Did you bypass the stock harness? Also are you running your 12V ignition wire to your battery?

Yea, I didn't have a harness at all. I just used 5 core trailer wire, pulled it all apart and used the individual wires - hence the colours.

My positive feed is simply from the battery to an on/off switch, then into the IC ignitor. The safety switches on my bike were the opposite to yours. Mine would break the earth circuit. So I just earthed both the pins out of the IC ignitor.

I think that you are correct in you description of your safety switches. So if you just fully remove them and add an on/off switch you should be good to go.

To check for spark, I would just do what you are doing. I'm not totally sure what readings you should be getting on the coils, but can probably have a look at mine later on.

How have you wired it up? Following my paint sketch or the ignition diagram I posted of a screen shot of?

Cheers.

patthehat033
02-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Yea, I didn't have a harness at all. I just used 5 core trailer wire, pulled it all apart and used the individual wires - hence the colours.

My positive feed is simply from the battery to an on/off switch, then into the IC ignitor. The safety switches on my bike were the opposite to yours. Mine would break the earth circuit. So I just earthed both the pins out of the IC ignitor.

I think that you are correct in you description of your safety switches. So if you just fully remove them and add an on/off switch you should be good to go.

I am not sure this is true or not. I have the extra safety wires currently just hanging there not doing anything, and I am not getting spark. So you think I should ground them all?

How have you wired it up? Following my paint sketch or the ignition diagram I posted of a screen shot of?

I have it wired up as the paint sketch. Which theoretically is the same thing as the diagram you posted a screen shot of. But I am not getting spark. Which is why its possible it is not the wiring, but maybe another factor. (Spark plug, Coil, Signal Generator etc.)

Rustydog2010
02-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Re-reading the above post i'm a tad confused. It has 3 wires going in?

I think that when the stand is down or the clutch is engaged, the switch will be passing from the positive feed from the battery to earth. Then when the clutch is disengaged or the stand is up, the feed will come from the battery to the IC ignitor feed.

Is that what you were saying? To pass this, I would just connect both the positive wires together.

patthehat033
02-11-2012, 12:48 AM
I am also confused which switch are you talking about?

There are 4 left over wires on the CDI. 2 of them go to a 3 pin triangle connector. and the other 2 go to a two pin connector

P.S. This might help a lot. The CDI I have is a 32900-19C40 it will work on my year of bike, but it is slightly different than the other CDI that can be also used with this year of bike. The other CDI is the one that we keep seeing used on all the diagrams we have seen. I haven't found a diagram for this one yet.

patthehat033
02-11-2012, 02:52 PM
FOUND IT!

All of the 4 wires that I have not hooked up yet, go to connectors that are not specified as anything on the diagram. Do you think I need to connect the wires?

http://i44.tinypic.com/33f6sk5.jpg

patthehat033
02-12-2012, 12:38 AM
UPDATE: Okay so I did some resistance testing on the pins of the Ignitor. The red wire pin, red/black wire pin, and green/blue wire pin, all have resistance with every pin except, the orange/white wire pin, black/yellow wire pin, and the white wire pin. They also have resistance with the ground wire pin.

The only wire pin that has resistance with absolutely nothing is the blue wire pin. So that concludes to me that the blue wire is a big factor here. And that the green/blue and red/black wires are either signal wires, or they need to be connected. But I doubt they need to be grounded because they are already internally grounded.

What are your guys thoughts?

Rustydog2010
02-12-2012, 01:53 AM
Hmm, i'm not to sure. I had a quick skim over but i'm knackered.

Almost bogged our twenty ton digger today which was pretty freaky! I also fired up my bike with those straight pipes! Was leaking some oil, petrol and water, haha. It was running and starting like a gem thou.

Its cool that you have found that diagram with the 11 pin IC ignitor. It making more sense now, I should be able to draw up a simple ignition diagram, tomorrow that is. :D

patthehat033
02-12-2012, 02:05 AM
Hmm, i'm not to sure. I had a quick skim over but i'm knackered.

Almost bogged our twenty ton digger today which was pretty freaky! I also fired up my bike with those straight pipes! Was leaking some oil, petrol and water, haha. It was running and starting like a gem thou.

Its cool that you have found that diagram with the 11 pin IC ignitor. It making more sense now, I should be able to draw up a simple ignition diagram, tomorrow that is. :D

Sweet dude, I think what I need to do is connect the red and blue wires together and attach them to a ground. And then leave the other wires alone. I think they are signal wires but I could be wrong.

patthehat033
02-19-2012, 08:21 PM
UPDATE:

Okay so being the genius that I am, I ordered a new CDI that is the correct one for a 1989 Suzuki GSX600F. Which is the diagram that we were finding on the internet with coming out of the CDI.

I will wire this up as we planned and let you know how it goes. I need to get a good spark plug first though.

Rustydog2010
03-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Cool, how many pins does this IC ignitor have?

patthehat033
03-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Technically there are 8 pins, but only 7 wires. Its the wiring diagram that we originally made that one diagram for.

patthehat033
03-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Hey guess what...

I got spark!!

Turns out the CDI I bought of ebay was the correct one. Got it all wired up and cranked it and got spark. Didn't look like a super strong spark, but I am guessing that was because it was cranking, meaning the voltage would of only been about 9V at the coil.

Now I need to get a spark plug wrench, and get some new spark plug and get this baby running.

Rustydog2010
07-07-2012, 01:20 AM
I know this is bumping an old thread, but I'm curious to know if you ever got it running? And whats that beast powering?